Sign in to follow this  
BionTimeWorks

Does having a Higher Chair help with manuevers

Lately I've been getting worse at performing maneuvers. I've made collisions that have cost me the game and I try to look at the attack range to get help with the maneuvers (not using the range ruler), but it isn't working out well. Would having a higher view of the field help in that situation? Or am I just insane. I don't mind being called insane.

Your vantage point allows you to calculate your maneuvers with a closer approximation to where you want your ships to be. Usually a higher elevation and visual access around the table will help you choose your maneuvers.

I recommend standing while playing, unless you are disabled or are strained to do so.

I stand and move around the table, and sometimes look at things from right overhead or at table level, when planning and executing maneuvers.

But if there's no good reason to be on my feet, I take a seat and remind myself to stay cool. This game can be tense for me during tournaments, but I play better when I'm relaxed and comfortable. So I sit when I can and collect myself. It also helps the back, which can get strained by leaning over the table all the time.

Soft tactic: Try to draw the main action close to your side. The opponent then has to either walk over to your side, which sometimes is not easy when the game is played on a long table with several boards next to each other or he has to play from some distance and a bad angle, while you enjoy a perfect bird's eye POV.

Might not be chivalrous, but can make a difference in really close games.

Me and my friend got a new table, about 6 inches higher than the previous one. I played sitting down like normal, he stood up, and destroyed me. I was misjudging range all game, and blamed it on the awkward angle. So yeah, a direct, top down view is going to be best

What I have seen people do is walk to the side of the table or even the other side of the board where your opponent is.  If you trust the person enough, you can also ask them to execute the maneuvers for you once the ships are on the other side of the table.  This last one depends on the person, but you can also try asking your opponent if they think the ship would crash or not.

In games I have played where I sit vs stand I win probably twice as many games while standing.  I'm 6'5" so I can lean over the table and see from directly above most of the time, and that makes moves so much easier to visualize.  Standing is practically a must. 

To be fair, my one friends game table is tall, we use bar stools when not moving or doing combat, but I usually stand unless my feet and legs are giving me issues.. I'm diabetic and have some related issues

Same at cons as well, I'm usually on my feet, and live to regret it later in the evening. I deal with it because I have so much fun and it's worth it lol