Joress

GM Session Sheet

After posting this thread, and getting some awesome feedback, I decided to try something.

I've created a GM Sheet to be used with each Edge of the Empire session, having an abbreviated, yet useful, set of tools. I mainly wanted to create something that would help me do a few things easily...

•  
  • Help have the obligation pre-game roll ready, with my ideas on how to incorporate it into the game.
  • Have my XP awarding clear and set, with an area to track extra in-game XP awards.
  • Have an easy way to track all skill checks from all the players. This will not only help me to know results, but to see who needs to get engaged more, or who has the hot dice for the evening. This also is a way to keep a brief history of the events of the game.
  • Have an orderly single sheet I can save, put into a binder, and have a clear record of the game.

Feel free to let me know what you think, or if you feel it could be improved any way. Thanks!

Instructions on how to use

Blank GM Sheet PDF (v1.4)

Edited by Joress
Update Links

This looks really handy!  I've got session #3 with my players tomorrow, I am definitely going to make use of this and report back.  I too love to keep track of things, and this might really give me a good way to keep it highly organized.  

Not to mention it's really sharp-looking, good work!

This looks really handy!  I've got session #3 with my players tomorrow, I am definitely going to make use of this and report back.  I too love to keep track of things, and this might really give me a good way to keep it highly organized.  

Not to mention it's really sharp-looking, good work!

Awesome Invictus! I'll be eagerly awaiting your report! Good luck!

Here are my thoughts:

First off thanks for putting this together!  It's a good resource.  Also, as a general disclaimer, these comments are from my experience and preferences as a GM, which for different people can vary highly.

I found myself not feeling the need to use the roll-trackers for each character on the right hand side; while it would be fun to see exactly what was rolled each time, otherwise it doesn't tell me more than looking at the skill ranks the PCs have.  Instead, I felt like I wanted a space dedicated to each PC to record notes and memorable moments (which fortunately isn't too hard to achieve with scratch paper, but pretty boxes sure are nice).

Another idea for the roll tracker, to keep it more in line with your original idea: perhaps there's still a place to track rolls (perhaps just success/failure), but also a spot for notes on the action, i.e. consequence of advantage/threat/triumph/despair.

I like the obligation section, especially the space for obligation complication, having that close by; I only used it to write down the obligation that triggered instead of everyone's, as I use the regular FFG group sheet to track all obligation; a redundancy present due to what game tools I'm already using.

I do really like the encounters/milestones area as well as the bonus XP area; the only thing I would change is making the boxes blank in case I've got different amounts than what's listed.  They are a really great include, being able to have a reference for the larger scope of the narrative at a glance.

The heading is perfect, it's just enough information to really keep it clear and organized.

Again, these thoughts are all the personal preferences of a GM with a particular style.  Even if I don't end up using you're whole sheet, working with it gave me a lot of clarity on what I would like to take notes on during sessions.

Awesome feedback! Thanks for trying it out, and I think you hit a lot of great points. I'm going to give it a shot in my group tomorrow and see how it works out for me. My goal is to make something useful, but I understand all GMs work differently. I probably won't please everyone, but I'll do what I can. :)

Thanks again!

I ran my session over the weekend, and learned a few things. I've tried implementing a few different ideas into the new 1.2 version (updated above) to do some more testing with it.

As always, feel free to give any kind of feedback!

The layouts are nice and it seems useful for in-person games.

I'd remove the amounts from the extra xp section since that varies by GM and from campaign to campaign.

On the 3rd page layout variation, what are the check boxes at the bottom of each skill check tracker block for? Also, why are half of them blacked out already?

The layouts are nice and it seems useful for in-person games.

I'd remove the amounts from the extra xp section since that varies by GM and from campaign to campaign.

On the 3rd page layout variation, what are the check boxes at the bottom of each skill check tracker block for? Also, why are half of them blacked out already?

I was thinking about having an area where a GM could track boost and setback die. They could circle one when someone gets awarded one, and cross it out when used.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nice sheet. I'll try to use it my next session.

OggDude tool already has obligation onto the group sheet, thus I am not sure how much I'll use that table. WHat I may find missing however are the motivations, to check in game how I can draw further my player. Thus, I may replace your obligation table with a motivation table.

Overall, I really like this! One or two suggestions, though: 

First, I don't know that I would use the skill check boxes. While I do like the PC boxes and the note areas, I don't think the skill check areas are all that useful.

Instead, I would suggest two other options: NPCs and initiative. I can't count how many times I've had to sketch out quick NPC stats for combat. It wouldn't have to be that extensive, either. In fact, I'd say just modify the PC notes box and include things like notable talents, weapons, whether the NPC is a minion, rival or nemesis, and if the NPC is a minion group, how many minions there are. 

I would also say a quick initiative area would be nice. You could also use the Boost/Setback dice layout to point out which person in the Initiative is getting a Boost and Setback to their rolls. 

Thanks very much for putting this together! 

Thanks for the suggestions! As I've been using it, I've noticed a few things I could overhaul and improve. Maybe adding a few things like you suggested. Initially I liked the idea of tracking the results, maybe more for a personal thing. But I'm not sure I need to make it the primary function of the sheet. So, back to the drawing board!

After posting this thread, and getting some awesome feedback, I decided to try something.

I've created a GM Sheet to be used with each Edge of the Empire session, having an abbreviated, yet useful, set of tools. I mainly wanted to create something that would help me do a few things easily...

1. Help have the obligation pre-game roll ready, with my ideas on how to incorporate it into the game.
  2. Have my XP awarding clear and set, with an area to track extra in-game XP awards.
  3. Have an easy way to track all skill checks from all the players. This will not only help me to know results, but to see who needs to get engaged more, or who has the hot dice for the evening. This also is a way to keep a brief history of the events of the game.
  4. Have an orderly single sheet I can save, put into a binder, and have a clear record of the game.

Feel free to let me know what you think, or if you feel it could be improved any way. Thanks!

Blank GM Sheet PDF (v1.2)

As a first time GM I've been terrible at keeping session notes. This looks incredibly useful. I'm going to give it a try for our session tonight. Thanks!

I love all the pre-session preparation info.  I'm not sure on tracking Skill checks and all the rolls; seems like a lot of record keeping that would slow down the flow of the game.  Interpreting the results of a die roll, with all the narrative aspects, seems demanding enough.  To have to write it down as well...  not seeing the usefulness. 

I'm especially impressed and intrigued by the experience points to be earned section.  I was originally just going to give fixed xp per session, so that I don't encourage the kill-crap-to-level mentality from other games my group has played.  But I like the idea of assigned a fixed bit of xp, from like 80% to 120% of what I want the average to be, and then letting the PCs choose how or if they earn it.

The Obligation section is great.  I'm new to EotE and tracking Obligation was concerning me.  I'm going to echo Hysteria and suggest initiative and npcs.  Minion npcs I'm not concerned about, I'll probably have them on cards.  But Rivals and Villains that might survive from session to session, or at least from encounter to encounter, would be good to see.

I've been holding on to these for a few months now; I think I'll share them here as a companion to these GM session sheets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kkzewx6bdgzwv6/D%24%27s%20SWRPG%20GM%20Sheets.pdf?dl=0

the first page is for GM's to keep track of the PCs info like the Group Sheet from the back of the CRB.

The second sheet is to keep track of reoccurring NPCs, keep track of combat encounters, or keep "stock" NPCs handy. 

I've been holding on to these for a few months now; I think I'll share them here as a companion to these GM session sheets.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kkzewx6bdgzwv6/D%24%27s%20SWRPG%20GM%20Sheets.pdf?dl=0

the first page is for GM's to keep track of the PCs info like the Group Sheet from the back of the CRB.

The second sheet is to keep track of reoccurring NPCs, keep track of combat encounters, or keep "stock" NPCs handy. 

Not bad.  I especially like the "Contacts" section.  Keeping track of who the PCs have as allies or favored vendors is important and I was wondering how I might do so.

Liking both of these especially yours D Money.

Made something a little simpler to track conflict and initiative in F&D. However does not look half as good as it is not in an ffg star wars style.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6SNkJH4MEEjQmsyeWdXV291RHc/view?pli=1

if one of you had the time and opportunity to improve it I would be thankful.

I wanted to come back to this thread and tell you how useful these have been. I saved a copy of the file as soon as I saw the original post, and gave that to my GM. He’s been using them ever since, and the games have been much better!

So, as a player, I really appreciate what you’ve done here to help make my games more enjoyable! ;)

These look great, and I am looking at printing them out to give them a try, but I am concerned about the Amount of pages there are and the time that May be spent shuffling these pages to record stuff?

I wanted to come back to this thread and tell you how useful these have been. I saved a copy of the file as soon as I saw the original post, and gave that to my GM. He’s been using them ever since, and the games have been much better!

So, as a player, I really appreciate what you’ve done here to help make my games more enjoyable! ;)

Awesome! Glad to hear they have been helpful!!