Sign in to follow this  
Ocule

Balance with EotE and AoR

So just had a basic question about the force careers and options so far. If you have a party consisting of primarily EotE careers would having a FoD force user be unfair to the other players? Should the entire party be force sensitive in this case or does the experience cost of force powers and force centric talents balance out by the others buying the non force sensitive talents

The games are cross-compatible, so they should be of roughly equivalent expertise, albeit overall rather than in specific areas. If you think about it, the smuggler has been spending XP on her skills and talents, while the Force user has been splitting his XP between those and his Force powers. Sure, he can now use Enhance to boost his Piloting (Space) rolls, but she has two more ranks in that skill, giving her a much higher chance for those all-important Triumphs.

The simple answer is that Force and Destiny characters are largely on par with EotE and AoR characters in most instances.

The one exception to that is if you're using an Edge/Age career and then buying Force Exile or Force Emergent.  In that instance, the FaD character has a slight advantage as they didn't have to buy an additional spec to get Force Rating 1, but that's also countered by the FaD character not having as many starting skills or career skills.

Yes, the Force Powers do allow the FaD character to accomplish some pretty nifty stuff, but those take XP to purchase and improve, which is XP that non-F/S types are spending on their skills and specialization talents.

I did notice FaD lightsabers deal less damage but have a higher critical rating than the first EotE/AoR stats for them.Otherwise i should be able to fit in seemlessly the GM has agreed to let me have a holocron that i have been learning from. With a doctor, assassin and thief, trying to pick the best specialization for a primarily EotE party. Im thinking sentinel but not sure still.

I did notice FaD lightsabers deal less damage but have a higher critical rating than the first EotE/AoR stats for them.Otherwise i should be able to fit in seemlessly the GM has agreed to let me have a holocron that i have been learning from. With a doctor, assassin and thief, trying to pick the best specialization for a primarily EotE party. Im thinking sentinel but not sure still.

Gand Mystic with Sence, Forsee, and Seek.

Depends on what you want to do with your character.

With those 3 I'd say possibly a melee combatant type to have your own thing (assuming the Assassin/Thief are shooty types)

The Force Powers that would be great for your character with that party are Misdirect, Foresee, Seek, Sense, or Influence. If you choose to delve into getting extra Force Dice.

The lightsabers in F6D are basic ones, the EoE/Age are the fully tricked out versions.

The sentinel is the sneaky/techie class in force and destiny so i'd be careful mixing with a thief, for the thief's computer skills, but the Sentinel:artisan can be a good mechanic type. I'd also suggest a guardian class for more melee approach or a consular type to act as face of the group.

If you want a mostly combat force user, Donovan Morningfire suggested in another thread mixing one of the saber spec with Force Sensitve:Emergent.

In case you don't want /can't use a lightsaber mixing the force powers with normal blasters lets you build a Mass Effect like character.

From my reading of the RAW and such I have to agree with what the others are saying. A Force User will without a doubt feel and even be more powerful in specific instances but over all they are designed to be roughly equal.

Keep in mind that all of the PCs are exceptional, they are the stars of your particular shared story and as such are by design all going to be roughly equal in effectiveness mechanically, regardless of whether or not they use the Force. If you are finding your Force Using PCs dominating during encounters then you need to look at your encounter design and make sure you are providing a broader set of challenges that cannot be overcome by just the Force.

Gand Niman Disciple would be my first suggestion. Also Wookiee Shii-Cho Knight :) basically, sounds like your party could use a tank.

This is assuming your party already has high Intellect, Agility, and Cunning. If your doctor doesn't already have a high Intellect, then you could bring in a Soresu Defender so as to better compliment the party.

Yeah i was worried it would overlap. One of the players was talking about a melee assassin but suggesting to him that it wont work out that great unless he picks up marauder. But two stealth characters was making me worry i wouldnt have my own schtick. Consular or mystic would probably, but that leaves open warrior, guardian, or seeker as well. Of them i dont think anyone made a dedicated combatant or party face, i do plan on using the lightsaber styles the GM just said id have to acquire it after the game has started i couldnt start with one. Works for me considering i get to build my own makes me feel more special.

So far for a character concept i have, he was smuggled out by his parents during the purges when he was still a padawan. His master may or may not still be alive but he has an old holocron thats a little glitchy and needs repair but growing up he studied it whenever he could. Exploring it for knowledge that the jedi who created it left behind (how he got his career path) but needed keeping a low profile to avoid the empires gaze. Now just waiting for the others to finish their characters to explain why im sharing a ship with them but will probably be looking towards the rebellion for sanctuary, the battlefield will likely be safer than always watching over his shoulder for inquisitors. 

Way i see it that story can take him in literally any direction

Oh, suppose youre right but yeah 3 stealth guys seems a bit too focused

Unless you want to be a stealth-infiltration kinda group!

I find that just about any specialization can easily compliment another if your characteristics are spread out well (I try to have a group that has at least a 3 in any given characteristic...these groups are more skillfully successful over the long run). 

We're just passing 150 xp in our campaign, and my character (Jedi Consular) is the only starting Force User.  Our Marauder could rip her apart in seconds, the scout might take a few rounds to blow her to bits.  She could probably beat the politico/entrepeneur, but it's not a given.

That said, I've spread thin, already having Sage, Healer, and Nihman disciple.  Now that I have all the tree's, I'll hopefully be buying my way down them into some more advanced talents, and picking up some more force powers.

We finally got together to make characters mine is still up in the air but party composition evened out a bit. So now we have a marauder, doctor and thief. So was thinking what would complement that. Seeker has an explorer esque feel to it. Both consular and mystic also look pretty good something will or presence focused. We have an intelligence, a agility/cunning, and a brawn character. No presence or willpower at all

Yeah, I'd be leaning more towards a Consular Sage/Niman Disciple. Makes for a decent lightsaber combatant with nice defensive capabilities, some great talents for a Face character, and a possible (and very affordable) Force Rating of 4 in just two specializations. I'd Willpower 4, Presence 3.

Gand is an interesting choice for this, and doable for 90 XP. Then you'd be left without a "dump stat," as it were. Makes me think of this guy:

GandJediTwinStrike-JATM.jpg

Gran could also get you there for only 70 XP, with a dump stat in Cunning (who needs Cunning when you've got a thief?), Enhanced Vision, and a nice double-skill-rank synergy with either Niman Disciple or Sage. 

Deflecting_Slash_JATM.JPG

If you want to deal with Brawn 1, there's Twi'lek and Kel Dor for consideration. Also there's Ithorian with Agility 1, but I'm not a huge fan of the Below ability since you wouldn't have Resilience as a career skill. Mostly I'd go Gran or Gand, Willpower 4 Presence 3.

The sage wouldnt step all over the doctors toes? Since both of them use quite a few knowledge skills

Not really. Colonists have Education, Core Words, and Lore. The doctor can double-dip Education, which would be a good move for him. But otherwise the Doctor doesn't really do a lot with Knowledge.

Sage, on the other hand, can hyper-specialize in a knowledge skill. And I would say his makes the Sage the prime candidate for making assisted skill checks with the Doctor :) combine Sage's skills with the Doctor's intellect, and they'll be researching and finding extra info all over the place. A "good idea superconductor," if you will.

Edited by awayputurwpn

So why not the mystic?

The Mystic is great, especially if one wanted to jump from Seer to Sage and get that 5 FR :) it also has some more Knowledge career skills from which the Sage could pick and benefit, so more options for his knowledge specialization.

However, the Niman Disciple is the superior to Makashi Duelist in this instance; since you are the only Force user in the party (and should therefore play to his unique strength, the Force); and since (I presume) you want to be proficient with a lightsaber, and the party already has a Marauder (and all of Makashi's talents are up-close-and-personal); and because Willpower makes more sense for a primary characteristic than does Presence (again, being a Force user).

So that's why I suggested Consular over Mystic. Seems to be slightly more beneficial.

Edited by awayputurwpn