Sign in to follow this  
dragonfacemcgee

Crystal Attributes

So I have been thinking about lightsaber crystals lately, and one thing I have noticed is that there were quite a few crystals that had special characteristics. For example, it was recorded (in the EU) that the Barab crystal (labeled Barab Ingot in F&D book) that it burned so hot that it would actually start enemies on fire sometimes. Now I know that this characteristic is already addressed in the stats for the crystal which I really like. I am wondering how people would feel about adding in more possible crystals in the game, and maybe in the descriptions add in the possible colors for them that can be found (for story purposes). So I was thinking adding in some crazy rare crystals that would be nearly impossible to find, but it is always nice in my mind to have some items like this in the game to keep the players working toward finding them (maybe in future quests as a sort of plot hook.) Here are a few crystals with a general rarity that I thought they would have and possible characteristics.

1. Bondar (8)- stun 1

2. Corsuca Gem (7)- Breach 3 (to show that it gives a very focused blade)

3. Damind (7)- Ranged Defense

4. Durindfire crystal (10)- There is no characteristic that is in play at the moment, but maybe something like Coordinated Assult, or something like that.

5. Eralam (10)- gives the weapon Superior quality

6. Firkrann (9)-  Ion (passive)

7. Heart of the Guardian (10 unless you can go higher lol)- gives the weapon Superior quality and something like Coordinated Assult. Deffinitely a plot hook and super hard to obtain.

8. Hurrikaine crystal (8)- do something like "Anti-defensive" where it makes it negate some melee defense.

9. Jenruax (7)- Requires some time of meditation on the crystal to give have it give +1 agility (up to 6) and 1 ranged defense.

10. Mantle of the Force (10 unless you can go higher)- Increase your force rating by 1, gives the wapon Superior quality. Deffinitely used as a plot hook and super hard to obtain.

11. Opila (7)- Not sure on a characteristic for this one.

12. Stygium crystal (10)- add 2 bonus dice  for all stealth checks.

Now I'm sure that there are more crystals out there that I havent mentioned but these are the ones that I thought really stood out. Just because the rules say right now that the lightsabers listed in Age of Rebellion and Edge of the Empire are "maxed out versions", it gives more variability to the game if they change that idea. So what do you guys think about adding these crystals into the game as plot hooks for the super rare ones, and just more crystals in general? Also, do you think it would be a good idea to maybe list in the descriptions what possible colors there are just for story purposes?

I absolutely agree that colors should be mentioned. I think most people like answering the question "What color would your lightsaber be if you had one?" OK, maybe not most people, but most people I game with.

In fact, I was surprised to see no mention of colors in the beta book (though I might have missed it). I know there's no cannon to rely on but I'm cool with legend material determining colors.

And of course synthetic crystals should come up.

As to your specific suggestions and mechanics I'll defer to you knowledge but I'll bet we see more crystals in adventures and sourcebooks.

If they follow the standard model there will be equipment and attachments (crystals) in the career books. 

What I'd also like to see is one-page adventure hooks and/or locations for the crystals in career books.

"X crystal can be found on x but typically x beast inhabits the caves."

or

"y crystal comes from killing a Krayt dragon."

or

"Z crystal is very rare and it's location has been lost."

or

"X crystals have been harvested by the Empire and are under tight security."

I know crystals are all rare but some are even more so or present specific obstacles for finding, especially after the Jedi are purged.

I like thinking about lightsaber colors. Funny enough, during the Force and Destiny Gen Con game, I offhandedly asked another player what the color of his lightsaber blade was. The GM insisted (politely) that the player should stick to one of the more standard lightsaber colors (blue or green).

That's probably the best hint we'll have on how FFG will treat the color of the lightsabers until we get a true CRB.

I like thinking about lightsaber colors. Funny enough, during the Force and Destiny Gen Con game, I offhandedly asked another player what the color of his lightsaber blade was. The GM insisted (politely) that the player should stick to one of the more standard lightsaber colors (blue or green).

That's probably the best hint we'll have on how FFG will treat the color of the lightsabers until we get a true CRB.

2b3220a.jpg

I wouldn't mind some description of what colors assorted crystals are.  Our default method is usually to reach into a bag of multicolored dice, or colored pencils, and pull one out at random.  Unless it's to freaky, whatever the color is, that's what you get. 

Unless of course for some reason you really think it should be something different.  We're pretty lenient, it's supposed to be fun after all.  Unless there's some compelling reason, I have no problem letting that badass image the player has in their mind, be what they have.

My current characters lightsaber is Creamsicle Orange. 

I certainly hope they'll add more crystals.  I would guess they'll be more in each splat book.  They have to hold some back for expansions after all.

Lorne, I am very much inclined to agree with you. I was only sharing an experience I had playing with the developers. A view point that holds some amount of weight to this discussion. In short, if we see anything on colors. It's probably going to be "pick green or blue. Unless we say something specific."

But at my game I am just going to have the players pick their own color. The only exception is black and silver, simply because I have set those up in my game to only be reproducible synthetically.

I think the intention of the GM at the convention game was more that he didn`t want someone going all ``darkside`` and wanting a red saber and maybe spinning the game off or something. Wasn`t there so I don`t know for sure. Seems to me that colour can be left to the table. I doubt FFG is going to do anything to stipulate colour.

My only advice to fellow GM's on this is to keep things internally consistent for the campaign (which is really just general advice on everything, I supoose).  So unless there's a very good reason, PC jedi should generally be finding sabers in G, B or Y.  If they're making their own from scratch, then color is arbitrary, and they likely become the only Jedi with that color saber -- which was probably the player's intention.

This was the approach I took last time I ran an OR game -- post Jedi purge, sabers were very rare, and the only ones the PCs could start with were the big three.  I liked the idea of Vader carrying a red saber not because it's standard-issue Sith (thanks to the prequels *sigh*), but because he's a BAMF.  So the BAMF in my game was singular with the red, and all the lesser Sith carried cortosis sith swords.

I know it may be fluff adding in possible colors for certain crystals, but they already have the fluff in there for lets say blasters where there are different kinds of holdout blasters made by different companies and different models. It would only make sense to say that such and such crystal can be found in these colors. I also like the idea that usgrandprix brought up about doing little hints on where to find them (most likely in the expansions.) So dantari crystals have been heavily mined by imperials, or this one has been lost over the years type of thing. It adds fluf, and could even be plot hooks to get players to check out certain planets/locations. So I guess what Im trying to say is that is that finished book, id like to see the possible colors for different crystals in with their descriptions, (possibly a few more crystals in the core book), and in expansions maybe just a sentace on like "generally found here, or legendary artifact lost in the purge." Its not a lot to ask for, I mean it took me 20 minutes to find the information I mentioned above, so it would be really simple to add it in. Thats just my thoughts though. If it isnt put in the final version, Ill probably just write it in myself.

Within the EU there's like 20 different reasons for the Lightsaber colors 
From color crystals used in conjunction with the normal crystals
To the individual Jedi themselves
One of the reasons given to Sith using red Lightsabers is the Dark Side taints the crystal they make for it, there's someone who takes a Sith crystal and "purifies" it of the Dark Side and it becomes a Yellow Blade.

In short fluffy fluff fluff to why and what colors are there.

One of the reasons given to Sith using red Lightsabers is the Dark Side taints the crystal they make for it, there's someone who takes a Sith crystal and "purifies" it of the Dark Side and it becomes a Yellow Blade.

First off, I just wanna say I'm really into the lore and I have never heard of changing the color of the blade by "purifying" the crystal. The reason the sith blades are red is because they generally choose to make synthetic crystals with the dark side.

Next, I already stated that it is fluff by stating the colors available to each crystal. I did also state that it would be reasonable to put this stuff in the final product since they have it for selections of blaster pistols and other items in the other books.

On a side note, what do you guys think about the crystal attributes for additional crystals in game?

First off, I just wanna say I'm really into the lore and I have never heard of changing the color of the blade by "purifying" the crystal. The reason the sith blades are red is because they generally choose to make synthetic crystals with the dark side.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaden_Korr's_third_lightsaber

That.

That.

Ah, thank you. I did not know that until you pointed it out. Ya learn something new all the time.

To me, so much effort has been wasted in the past on decreeing lightsaber colors. I simply don't care, as long as the player isn't being a snowflake. If the players are harvesting raw crystals or making a synth crystal, I might throw in a color of their choosing if the roll an Advantage (otherwise the common blue or green) to add some more excitement to the roll, but otherwise I generally wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I just don't see the point in dumping on a player and the image they have for their character over something that is so irrelevant.

That.

Ah, thank you. I did not know that until you pointed it out. Ya learn something new all the time.

It's all good, it's not something that is super common and can be super fun for fluff.

I guess the only thing that I am trying to say with this thread is that yes, adding in possible crystal colors is fluff. But they already have fluff in for example in the AoR book, under Holdout Blaster it lists different models to choose from. Is listing the models necessary for the game? No. But adding them in makes it more interesting. The same can be said about crystal colors. Is it necessary to know that you got a pink, or a black, or even a rainbow crystal? No, but it does open up doors for storytelling. Besides, since the Legacy lore is already out and relatively known, theres no harm in tapping that resource. Also, I am looking forward to more crystals and seeing the attributes that are attached to them. I really like the idea of a larger variety in mods, and gear because it gives the players more room to make their own unique character.