Sign in to follow this  
TyrantAzreal

Thoughts on Old Republic Setting?

I'm in a campaign taking place during SWoTR time period. The main I want to say flaw? is that being a Jedi/Force Sensitive is almost a free pass to places. The amount of times we have used the line "Jedi business we need in there/your help" has become almost a running gag. The rules were obviously set up for FS trying to hide from the Empire so a Lightsaber isn't something you wave at people for a free pass like we've pretty much been doing.  

So what are your general thoughts about using FFG's rules to play in an Old Republic setting?

I myself have been trying to think of a way to "scale up" the game to better fit into Old Republic or legacy era. I haven't figured out a concrete idea, but it revolves around opening up more access to FR, be it a mid-tier talent on all the specs, a free FR for formal training, or, another idea i have been toying with, is making each career it's own thing, and allowing a character to buy from any of the three trees without having to 'multi-class' into them, but only if you have formal teaching.  Knight Play just doesn't strike me as "Jedi" enough to fit into the other eras.  

But maybe I'm alone on this.

Knight Play just doesn't strike me as "Jedi" enough to fit into the other eras.

Agreed, you'd probably need 300XP or more to become a "Jedi Knight" and be given some independence by the Council.  Which means it's hard to form a team with a diverse group on non-FS characters.  But you could still always play the FS that the Jedi just haven't found yet.

The rules were obviously set up for FS trying to hide from the Empire so a Lightsaber isn't something you wave at people for a free pass like we've pretty much been doing.

I don't think there is anything in the rules that is set up that way.  With F&D you can mix and match whatever you want.

As my very first campaign back was an Old Republic campaign, I think I can speak with a certain amount of clarity since I was debating on continuing my old game in this system(either another TOR/Legacy setting) and have already put a great deal of thought on this subject.

The primary difference for me is that the presence of the Jedi is countered by the Presence of the Sith. Both exist and are often very public forces, sabers are more commonplace, and outside of periods of seclusion or temporary peace they are at constant war with each other. I don't think that there are inherently more powerful force users in those eras, certain anomalous force users aside. Thus from a mechanical perspective, I don't think that there is a need to make these characters "more Jedi". With enough xp, they'll hit all the appropriate milestones, it's just up to the DM what power level they're at start. Knight Level play does padawans just fine, regular starting characters would be closer to younglings approaching apprenticeship.

I wouldn't let players pull the Jedi card all the time. Due to all the open warefare, non-Jedi aren't necessarily wrong to mistrust Jedi as warmongers or religious fanatics, or opt to remove themselves from from situations with Jedi/Sith. And if they are using powers or threatening others, well that's fine too but some conflict would be in order.

Edited by Atomisk

Zyne Carrick was a pretty solid representation of starting character (with a lightsaber) form that relative timeperiod.

similar discussions have come up in a few threads, and much of the confusion comes from varying expectations on what it means to be a force user. This problem is made even more apparent when you are trying to model your players' experience based on what characters can do from the MMO. This sets the bar incredibly high.

I agree with what others are saying about starting at Knight-level play. Or even Knight level + 100XP.

As to the other concern, not everyone takes kindly to Jedi. There could easily be sore feelings about the war. The Sith instigated it, which could easily put blame of the Jedi for "X" reason.

There are all sorts of ways to contain your Jedi in an Old Republic game.

We're currently playing an Old Republic Game, and are based off of a planet that is not aligned with either Sith or Republic, trying to stay independent.  A Jedi there might game some respect, but has no actual authority.  If your characters are playing the Jedi Card to often, have them do a few missions in the heart of Sith territory, that'll take the starch out of their Official Jedi Membership Badge.

My character is our only "Jedi."  She was a padawan who was framed for treason by a "Jedi Master" who is of course actually evil.  Now she certainly won't play the Jedi card, as she's being hunted, and she's trying to clear her name.  Unfortunately it's currently word against word, and the established Jedi Master hold a bit more influence over the 17 year old Padawan.

One of our other characters, who's a Politico with emerging force powers comes from a planet that's in the core, but just doesn't trust force users.  Needless to say, this character is a bit conflicted about their blooming power, and it certainly won't make her popular on her homeworld.

Edited by Split Light

My character is our only "Jedi."  She was a padawan who was framed for treason by a "Jedi Master" who is of course actually evil.  Now she certainly won't play the Jedi card, as she's being hunted, and she's trying to clear her name.  Unfortunately it's currently word against word, and the established Jedi Master hold a bit more influence over the 17 year old Padawan.

Speaking of Zayne Carrick...

I'm currently running an Old Republic setting for my beta test.

Since I have from 6 to 8 players on my table it's more ''explanable'' to set 8 force users in this period than in an other one.

I'm focused on the great galactic war ( just before the events of swtor).

The presence of a lot of jedi is countered by the presence of sith as atomik said. The most difficult thing for all the players is why is there so many Sith ? Most of my players doesn't know that the rule of two was set later by Dark Bane.

Regarding the sessions : I've started with 100xp, It was a too small amount for the Pc, they doesn't even look like a padawan for me.

After 3 sessions of gaming, I've added 200xp to all the characters, and they in deed look like to jedi. They will playing for another 2 sessions and I will add an another time 300xp which should reach the amount of exp of the end or the las quarter of a campaign.

"Jedi business we need in there/your help" has become almost a running gag.

"Ha! This is Hutt space chummer, the republic doesn't have that kind of authority here! You want help, go buy it form Gorba like everyone else!"

"Sorry Master Jedi, I still need a certified Form 100 to let you in, robes and a lightsaber don't make you immune to security regs."

"Me? Sorry, I'm no Soldier, I've got a family, a business, and a future to worry about."

".....what's a Jeed-eye?"

"According to Section 5-998 of the business privacy act no member of Republic Law enforcement, or a trusted agent thereof, may be granted access to my client without a writ of investigative authorization... and this office is wired for sound and holo, attempt any kind of force-coersion and I'll have you and the council up on charges so fast it'll make your lightsaber go limp."

"We're a long way from Coruscant, Republic member world or not, the governor is the law around here. The six months it'll take to get back to the senate is more then enough time for him to make sure all his datawork says whatever he wants it to."

"Sith, Jedi, doesn't matter, it's all still heresy according to the laws here. Want that changed, go talk to the senate."

The nice thing about an OR setting is that you can really do anything.  Timelines are vast, there's not much canon and you can make the story absolutely galaxy-shattering.

Were I to run a OR campaign with player expectations at the KOTR/TOR video game level, I'd only run with seasoned players who are swift with the ruleset and "Knight level" play would be the starting point -- no less.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, this is closer to Padawan level, but also makes for a good NCO and others who can handle themselves in a world where everything is cranked up to 11.

How about watch the KOTOR MMO Youtube Video's?

I recall they had new Jedi or Sith train on either Tython or Korriban (or do we call it Morriban?) until they're capable enough to travel offworld.

I recall the Jedi had to investigate a Sith plot to bring down the Republic from within as well as exploring some of the history of how the Jedi Council was first founded whilst the Sith is more or less the eventual rise to power in their version of the Sith Council.

So the question is would you bother to check those videos' out as potential sources of information for such a game?

Edited by copperbell

The nice thing about an OR setting is that you can really do anything.  Timelines are vast, there's not much canon and you can make the story absolutely galaxy-shattering.

in a world where everything is cranked up to 11.

Sounds like my game :)

We are actually quite in with the Jedi Council because of various neat things we did for them and right now me and the other "Padawan" are gonna build our first sabers on Typhon which is gonna be interesting since it's next session's plot hook.

That being said it is taking place in the MMO timeline, so there's Jedi/Sith everywhere (including places they shouldn't be.) You guys have a fair point about moving out of Republic Space to actually not have a backstage pass to most things by existing.

Edited by TyrantAzreal

I really like to see two different supplements- a "Sepratist Remanants" book for AoR that gives you what you need to run a Clone Wars game. And an "Forgotten Lore" book for F&D that gives advice on running an Old Republic game

Can we please somehow make them do this?

@copperbell

Through production of the Yoda arc it was referred to as Korriban in the script, then GL changed it at the last minute for reasons which are asinine if true.

The story group say it is meant to be the same planet though, and being as old as it is has probably been known by many names over the centuries.

So yeah, certainly in the KOTOR time frame, it's Korriban. And if my PC's ever go there in EotE/AoR/FaD it'll STILL be Korriban :)

What is GL if not asinine?

Spiteful and self centered.

I think he actually resents people creating stories (i.e "tampering") with his universe so while he allowed it for money he changed other people's creations  when he could just to assert his superiority.  Like in Korriban's case.

Wow, quite the sithstorm I kicked up there! Let me elaborate.

The reason I said asinine is that the reason given was because Korriban sounded too much like Coruscant and might confuse people. If this was the reason it's ridiculous in a franchise that gave us Tatooine and Dantooine in it's first film outing. The audience is not that stupid.

Whilst I don't agree with many of the decisions made by the creative teams, not just Lucas, I do have utmost respect for the creation of this galaxy that has been such a great part of my life. I also don't subscribe to the "Lucas tramples over the EU because it's not his" argument. Take for example Even Piell, a character he created and knows about. Do you think he's ever read Coruscant Nights? I don't think so. If you want to point the finger at anyone there, blame the writers and story group sitting in on the Clone Wars writing sessions for not pointing it out as a contradiction. Or maybe they did and he overruled them, but I doubt it.

As for the Old Republic setting i think it's really nice idea, and it gives a huge opportunities for RP, the MMO timeline around the Cold War is really good for mixed groups or full jedi groups, while the Kotor 2 is quite similar to the edge setting, few to none jedi and plenty of smullgers bounty hunters and mercenaries. The greta galactic War or the Mandaloriana wars are  perfect for an Age style campaign. Also the fans have statted iconic ships like the Dynamic class freighter or the various ships from SWTOR.

As for power levels i think both starting level characters and knight level works well, but the setting would be more adapt to knight level charcters (i'm not sure Zayne Carrick should be considered a starting character - he was a padawan icly after all), even if in this era lightsaber are probably much more common so their edge pricetag is too high. Maybe giving all starting charcters the same xp amounts of starting droids (175xp) would be a good compromise to represent a temple trained but not yet padwan level jedi (or a not so rookie smuggler/bounty hunter/mercenary)?

As for the jedi business free pass card i'd say there are many ways to circumvent or limit it: Republic space doesn't extend all over the place and planets like Tatooine or Hoth, or Makeb and Manaan are independent, Hutt space of course is Hutt space so jedi can get grudging respect but not any authority, and even in the republic the jedi card can get them landing permission and a welcome and some freedom of movement but not anything more, depending on the world they visit (think Sheppard on Noveria in Mass Effect). Also even jedi will need clearance to visit certain world (good luck pulling the jedi business  to land on Belsavis without an official clearance from the High Council or republic government). 

Anyway it's still a fascinating setting and i think it would be awesome to play in it, especially if the Sith Empire is present.

After all the jedi order has galactic level scope but Republic space limited authority.

As a last thought, the Kotor 2 storyline on Dantooine is an excellent example of homestead adventure or starting campaign. Helping Telos rebuild is also a good homestead starting place with lots of potential.

[...] (i'm not sure Zayne Carrick should be considered a starting character - he was a padawan icly after all), [...]

True he had the rank of padawan, but he wasn't really good at anything a padawan of his experience should be good at. Even he agreed he was a crappy Jedi.

[...] even if in this era lightsaber are probably much more common so their edge pricetag is too high. Maybe giving all starting charcters the same xp amounts of starting droids (175xp) would be a good compromise to represent a temple trained but not yet padwan level jedi (or a not so rookie smuggler/bounty hunter/mercenary)?

The reason for the 10k credits is not so much that a lightsaber is worth that much in the core rule book, it's more that it is a very powerful weapon with the damage potential of a weapon of a similar pricetag. I think knight level rules works fine even if a lightsaber is more common.

The reason for the 10k credits is not so much that a lightsaber is worth that much in the core rule book, it's more that it is a very powerful weapon with the damage potential of a weapon of a similar pricetag. I think knight level rules works fine even if a lightsaber is more common.

I disagree, even the basic lightsaber who has much less damage potential than the fully tricked Edge one still costs 9300 credits. At least part of that costs must be because of the rarity of the main component, the crystal. Whci in the Old republic setting would be a lot less rare than in the Glactic Empire era (since at least Ilum and Dantooine are easily accessible).

I think my point may have been missed. A liightsaber out of the box has much more damage potential than any other non-lightsaber personal-scale weapon. The credits granted by knight level play is not just to give characters who do not use lightsabers equipment of equal credit value, but also to allow combatants to have something comparable in damage. That's something not easily achievable with significantly less credits.

I would also argue that though Jedi and Sith are more common in the Old Republic era, They are still not that common in general. The chances of Force sensitivity was less than a a percent of a percent. Meaning a lightsaber (while not legally restricted) is still quire rare. The price would still be significantly high.

Edited by kaosoe