Sign in to follow this  
Cptnhalfbeard

Fluff goes with peanut butter, not X-Wing.

Every time I see someone talk about fluff when it comes to X-wing I just want to hit them on the nose with a newspaper and go "No! Bad nerd!" It's a game! I know you're you want this game to be exactly like the movies in every imaginable way, but it just can't.

Can we just leave the fluff to PB and Fluff sandwiches where it belongs? It has no place here.

</crotchety-old-man-rant>

Edit: of course the game itself is based on fluff. Duh. I'm not retarded. I'm saying that this game can't be 100% like the movies and I wish people would stop complaining about the mechanics of the game because they can't figure out the fluff to support it. Get a grip.

Edited by Cptnhalfbeard

Actually it does, 90% of the game wouldn't exist without fluff, e.g. a lot of pilot abilities are based off of fluff, and no, I don't want the game to exactly like the movies, I want it to be like SW. Half the game is the thematic feeling of vaping that Defender with your Y-wing. I probably wouldn't play this game if it was some random generic sci-fi game.

I totally disagree.  When I play a game, I like it also be pretending to do something.  X-wing may be a game, but as we play it, we pretend to be dog fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

I agree that fluff should not trump rules. 

Also I agree with you if you change your words from "fluff" to "cannon".  I think arguments that say such and such should happen because in the REAL Star Wars Universe it is like this.  But my reason for this is because Star Wars isn't real and it isn't consistent.  Trying to make it so is doomed to failure.

Every time I see someone talk about fluff when it comes to X-wing I just want to hit them on the nose with a newspaper and go "No! Bad nerd!" It's a game! I know you're you want this game to be exactly like the movies in every imaginable way, but it just can't.

Can we just leave the fluff to PB and Fluff sandwiches where it belongs? It has no place here.

wow your a d!ck. Go play chess if you don't want Star Wars fluff.

This is why I feel old here, everyone acts like they're 12...

I cant disagree with the OP more.

essentially the 'lore' or 'story' (fluff comes out your belly button.. its a bit rude to wipe out all that creative genius with a derogatory term) is what makes us love star wars.   Its what got you so excited when you were 8 watching ESB that as a 40 year old you still watch that film.    Its the way it never gets old or boring.

If you removed the 'fluff' (to use your phrase) you essentially have a maths problem using bit of plastic and card.. not a game.

Even chess has 'fluff'.. you have knights and bishops.. expendable pawns, a king to be captured and queen who is the power behind the throne.

We dont call chess pieces.  'piece A who can make a type 3 move do we?'

But your king and rook can 'castle'.

If we removed the backstory and lore from this game then why not play attack wing, or wings of glory or any other flight path type game?

why not have a mate over so that 'type a fighter with upgrade 2 can play three of his type B fighters with no upgrade but additional pilot 4'

The above is a lot less fun sounding than

Luke and R2 are attacked by two academy pilots led by mauler mythel?

See what i mean.

I have a feeling the OP was trolling and if so i bit :)

Actually it does, 90% of the game wouldn't exist without fluff, e.g. a lot of pilot abilities are based off of fluff, and no, I don't want the game to exactly like the movies, I want it to be like SW. Half the game is the thematic feeling of vaping that Defender with your Y-wing. I probably wouldn't play this game if it was some random generic sci-fi game.

Apparently my point is being **completely** missed.

I'm talking about people who complain about this game because there is no fluff to support the mechanics of the game. They complain that cloaking doesn't make sense base on how it works in the games etc.

of course the main components of this game are based off Star Wars. That's kind of the idea......

Why do you care so much what other people enjoy about the game? Fluff is the reason we have many of our ships.

I'm talking about people who complain about this game because there is no fluff to support the mechanics of the game. They complain that cloaking doesn't make sense base on how it works in the games etc.

of course the main components of this game are based off Star Wars. That's kind of the idea......

And that i totally get, i just misunderstood your original post.

Yep, star wars *is* inconsistant but personally i prefer it when the game reflects the drama of the movies and makes narrative sense.

its why , in another post i've not looked at for ages i maintained that i personally dont like Biggs as a pilot as his 'mechanism' makes little narrative sense, despite being game wise very good.

There's peanut-butter flavored fluff? Am I missing something?

If you don't care about 'fluff', you can play the game with some plain carboard cutouts with numbers on them.  No need to spend any money on plastics, you can get all the rules online and I bet you could make a set of range rules with your printer.  Have fun playing cardboard wars.  

The star wars flavor is a core part of the game. I mean, has anyone every managed to go a whole game without a cheesy star wars quote?  Keeping the game mechanics more or less in line with that fluff is important.  Not ALL-important, but it is a big factor.

Complaining about other people's subjective opinions is unproductive.  This isn't a question about whether fluff "should" be discussed.  Why shouldn't it be?  You don't have to participate in those discussions if you don't want to.  To each their own.

Also, TC, I would appreciate it if you would not use the word "retarded" to describe your negative feelings and thoughts.  I know people with mental retardation that can speak more respectfully than your OP.  I find it ironic that you complain about the "twelve year old" nature of these boards, yet you use purposefully hurtful language to describe your feelings on the matter.  Let's all use our adult vocabularies, in which there are many alternative options to your word usage that allow preservation of a community feeling.  Excluding people with disabilities just because we don't have the vocabulary to do otherwise is a problem that is easy to fix.

Edited by klecser

you point was missed because it wasn't mentioned in your post. Complaining that people take their lore too seriously...sure...we all get ired of the guy who can't stop telling you about this battle or that battle and how this game sucks because in the battle of "technobabble 7" they didn't even have A-wings...sure I can see that point. maybe you should add that to your first post.

Playability needs to trump canon to one degree or another, and also needs to trump rules for that matter.

A bad game with tight and consistent rules is still a bad game. A game that stays 100% true to the canon but is no fun to play is still no fun to play.

But a fun game called X-Wing, that doesn't include X-Wings or Tie fighters uses a system based on real Newtonian physics... where you plot vectors and such, is not going to do well either, because it's marketed to the wrong group.

So to say that the "fluff" doesn't matter is incorrect, it does matter if even just for the sake of marketing. But the idea that the rules or game play has to follow the canon 100% also doesn't work, because no matter how good the game is, if it's aimed at the wrong market it won't sell well.

A well made and fun game that captures the feel and tone of the subject matter and incorporates it into the rules in a way that makes sense... Then you have something truly special, like they did with X-Wing.

Edited by VanorDM

My favourite burger bar does the 'Elvis Burger', its a home made burger in a lovely bun but with peanut butter and raspberry jelly on it... sounds gross but its actually delicious.

I used to think you colonials (joke :)  ) were crazy with peanut butter and jam/jelly sandwiches but they are frankly awesome.

ditto PB and banana.

Actually, I personally don't like fluff in my food.

I find that banana goes much better with peanut butter.  As does bacon.

peanut-butter-banana-bacon-sandwich-3.jp

Oohhhh! This must be tried! :D

eh...maybe replace the banana with more Bacon?

Edit: of course the game itself is based on fluff. Duh. I'm not retarded. I'm saying that this game can't be 100% like the movies and I wish people would stop complaining about the mechanics of the game because they can't figure out the fluff to support it. Get a grip.

So your point is that there should be fluff in the game, but only exactly as much fluff as you say, and anyone who thinks there should be more fluff in the game than you do deserves to be chastised like a dog who just wet the rug?

Not sure that's all that much better than your original point.

Fluff shouldn't be the main basis of game mechanics and balancing. It is obviously a needed consideration because the game is set in the SW universe but needs to be put on the back burner when ensuring that stats and abilities are not over powered.

I like fluff.... That's why I'm playing X-Wing.  Don't get me wrong I like some Eurotrash games of wooden blocks block, problem solving and point/cost management; I also like Go...

But hey, this is Star Wars... key the Imperial March music. Duh, Duh, Duh, Ta Da Duh,  Ta Da Duh, 

Fluff shouldn't be the main basis of game mechanics and balancing. It is obviously a needed consideration because the game is set in the SW universe but needs to be put on the back burner when ensuring that stats and abilities are not over powered.

Point cost balances all.

Point cost balances all.
Point cost is a large method of balancing but it's not nearly all there is to it. If they extended the autoblaster range to 3 I don't think any point cost could balance that out. And even if you think it would, it still harms the game. It would make it significantly less enjoyable to have either overpowered super expensive options or underpowered severely undercosted options. No one wants to play a game of extremes. Besides, talk to any game designer and I bet ya $20 they say it's not all about cost. Edited by AtillaTheFun