Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

MOST WANTED PART 1:

Anyone else notice that Kaato Leachos was the name of the target in the Edge of the Empire free RPG Day adventure Under a Black Sun? He even flew a Z-95 Headhunter in that adventure. I love this cross-pollination going on!

Yeah its the same Kaato Leeachos as in the rpg. I ran that adventure last year, and the players killed him and took his Headhunter. It's really cool to see him in this game, and to have another bounty hunter to run with Fett and IG88.

Dang it beat me to it!

Also for everyone wondering the title is BTL-A4 (0 pts.)

You cannot perform attacks outside your firing arc. After performing a primary weapon attack, you may perform a turret secondary weapon attack. (this still doesn't mean the Ys we have are S3s!)

and the new turret: Autoblaster Turret (2 pts., range 1, 2 attack):

perform an attack even if it is outside your firing arc. The rest is the normal autoblaster text. The new pilots are also looking spiffy.

The Z-95 pilot Kaa'to Leeachos' ability and name sound like a spin off of a leech :lol: :lol:

:ph34r: Happens to the best of us :ph34r:

Autoblaster turret for only 2 points when its cannon cousin cost 5. Surprised to see it only 2 firepower then again turrets are supposed to be weaker then their cannon counterparts just like the Y-wing Ion is only range 1 and 2 while the fixed cannon can go up to 3.

Autoblaster looks a little weak, but with Kavil could work. I really like the look of Kavil. Note the EPT.

IKR!!?? I may have to defect from the Rebs to fly my Ys :S

Or just use R2-D6.

I am starting to see a little overlap here between the 2 different factions and their droids. R4-B11 = R7 astromech + 1 point + (*)Unique.

Actually at 2 points the autoblaster is just fine. Range one will make it a lot weaker than autoblaster on a B-wing though. TIE's should be able to afford the ability to keep distance, I can't see it replacing the ion turret. Additionally, do scum have any astromechs that would give the Y-wing dogfighting abilities like an R2?

The autoblaster on the B-wing is range 1. The difference is it stays in arc and has 1 more attack die

Actually at 2 points the autoblaster is just fine. Range one will make it a lot weaker than autoblaster on a B-wing though. TIE's should be able to afford the ability to keep distance, I can't see it replacing the ion turret. Additionally, do scum have any astromechs that would give the Y-wing dogfighting abilities like an R2?

It looks more like FFG is trying to make Y-Wings a sort of "Boom and Zoom" fighter. We get astromechs that make it good at high speeds (unhinged astro), and upgrades that make it hit hard in the first pass, but it doesn't turn very tightly and doesn't want to dogfight as much.

Y-wings are based off the SBD-Dauntless so this direction makes sense. (the SBD-Dauntless was an American dive-bomber during WW-2 but it was also a capable dogfighter if it needed to defend itself. It is most known for fatally damaging 3 aircraft carriers at Midway in under 7 minutes. The Dauntless was a tough fighter, at one point, a Dauntless pilot was attacked by 3 Zeros. He shot down 2 and collided wings with the 3rd, the Dauntless' wing was undamaged, and the Zero's wing ripped right off.)

That would be US Navy Stanley "Swede" Vejtasa who was the American pilot in that fight.

The TV show Dogfights covered this engagement (starts at 1:20 of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_dYBEbIvX0

After the Battle of The Coral Sea, he was reassigned to F4F Wildcats and, during the Battle of Santa Cruz (Oct 25-26, 1942), in a single mission he managed to shoot down 2 Vals and 5 Kates that were attacking USS Enterprise (CV-6), a record for the Wildcat.

Edited by zathras23

Trying hard not to laugh at people downplaying some of this stuff. It's not overpowered, it's not all amazing, but every bit of it is viable. Some of it is quite good and some of the combos look very good. All also provide options, options are power. Don't kid yourself.

With the awing bump, Xwing bump, bwing bump, and now ywing bump (especially with hwk bumps too) and two huge ship packs, since the absolutely lackluster "Imperial Aces" release I don't think I'll be buying another Xwing product until we see an imperial balancing. There are likely a few tidbits in most wanted for the Firespray but I'm not holding my breath.

This is a pretty big change in my thinking. Might be a rough week at work leaking into my toy time.

I'm glad the new faction is going to be fully functioning at release, that was a fear, but the continuous rebel support packaged with other products that is adding to the rebel stockpile is getting old fast. At the release of Most Wanted, the rebels will have every ship released for them with multiple build options.

Trying hard not to laugh at people downplaying some of this stuff. It's not overpowered, it's not all amazing, but every bit of it is viable. Some of it is quite good and some of the combos look very good. All also provide options, options are power. Don't kid yourself.

With the awing bump, Xwing bump, bwing bump, and now ywing bump (especially with hwk bumps too) and two huge ship packs, since the absolutely lackluster "Imperial Aces" release I don't think I'll be buying another Xwing product until we see an imperial balancing. There are likely a few tidbits in most wanted for the Firespray but I'm not holding my breath.

This is a pretty big change in my thinking. Might be a rough week at work leaking into my toy time.

I'm glad the new faction is going to be fully functioning at release, that was a fear, but the continuous rebel support packaged with other products that is adding to the rebel stockpile is getting old fast. At the release of Most Wanted, the rebels will have every ship released for them with multiple build options.

Well we know at least one upgrade from the Starviper will help tie interceptors out. I'd love to see them become more viable, they are my favorite imperial ship. There will probably be other stuff to help them in S&V and the Decimator should really change things up as well.

Well we know at least one upgrade from the Starviper will help tie interceptors out. I'd love to see them become more viable, they are my favorite imperial ship. There will probably be other stuff to help them in S&V and the Decimator should really change things up as well.

Modifications only won't help since they make an expensive ship even more expensive.

If this mod would be useful to help to survive and only 1 point - this would be helpful for the 4 x Saber + PTL lists - but I doubt it.

Modifications only won't help since they make an expensive ship even more expensive.

If this mod would be useful to help to survive and only 1 point - this would be helpful for the 4 x Saber + PTL lists - but I doubt it.

That would be nice but there's not much else you can do for an Interceptor besides an EPT or Mod. No matter what you're increasing the cost.

That would be nice but there's not much else you can do for an Interceptor besides an EPT or Mod. No matter what you're increasing the cost.

True, but then it won't help.

The royal guard title should have be with a discount on the second modification, since modifications are overpriced.

I am starting to see a little overlap here between the 2 different factions and their droids. R4-B11 = R7 astromech + 1 point + (*)Unique.

Might want to reread those.  The R7 and -B11 do very different things.

It was pointed out to me in another thread. It is surprising to finally see an ability that allows the attacker to modify the defense dice. Although it can be hard to use. Unless you are Dera it allows you to save a good roll. How many times have you rolled 2 criticals and a hit only to watch your opponent roll 3 evades. If you already used a target lock to modify the attack dice you won't have it to modify the defense dice. Dera does get the most out of it.

Drea no EPT... facepalm FFG, facepalm.

It makes sense, the rebel PS 6 and PS 8 y-wings don't get one (which is really stupid and FFG should errata Salm), nor do a lot of other mid-tier uniques. So why should the scum PS 5 y-wing? It's bad enough that the scum PS 7 y-wing gets one, but at least that's the highest-PS "ace", not a low-tier unique.

Because it is the only thing that it would had made it able to stress itself to get the TL after spending a TL for a torpedo. I don't care that much about "consistency" on EPT distribution to the pilots, but being able to use their pilot abilities on different and creative ways.

Of course, maybe there will be a ship that can pass its stress tokens or something and prove me wrong, otherwise it is relegated to ion cannon duty (there better options or cheaper options).

The middle generic could have an EPT, which would be quite nice.

Two attacks seems nice, but I'm thinking I'm with the guys who don't like it much. As a similar comparison, look at Cluster Missiles vs Proton Rockets. Five dice once does way more average damage than three dice twice, especially against high agility targets, compounded by the fact that it's difficult to have tokens to modify both or even one of the cluster missile attacks. 

Your options with A4 all are seemingly worse than cluster missiles. One two die primary attack followed by:

1. The most attractive option, an Ion Cannon. Possibly do a damage or two with your primary and follow it up with one more damage and an Ion token. But, two attacks without multiple tokens, particularly a weak attack like it's 2 die primary, likely will not both hit. Consider the lack of EPTs on Y wings except for Kavil, on whom the A4 is a waste. Rebels can take R2-D6 for Push but then, you can't take R2 astromech to alleviate that stress. Best option here is Drea Renthal with Unhinged Astromech.
2. The Blaster Turret. Gives your second attack three dice. But you have to have a focus to activate it, which you couldn't have spent to improve your weak primary attack. Again, more actions needed. The new R4Agromech is there for Scum, which gives you a target lock after sending the focus to activate the turret. Now, with the ability to make Blaster Turret not so terrible, I'd rather keep the turret, particularly with Kavil.
3. Autoblaster Turret. Cheap, efficient. But, Range 1 only. Slap this on Kavil, also, or even on Dutch, so you can have a cheap support ship with some close Range protection. Problem with A4, Range 1.

Also of note, for Ion and Blaster Turrets, you're paying a turret price for a non turret.  Maybe A4 is sound in principle, but none of the upgrades that can be equipped with it synergize particularly well. It should have been any secondary weapon. Fire off a flechette after your primary, or let Horton wreck face with a torpedo after a primary. 

Edited by Engine25

It looks more like FFG is trying to make Y-Wings a sort of "Boom and Zoom" fighter.  We get astromechs that make it good at high speeds (unhinged astro), and upgrades that make it hit hard in the first pass, but it doesn't turn very tightly and doesn't want to dogfight as much.

Y-wings are based off the SBD-Dauntless so this direction makes sense. (the SBD-Dauntless was an American dive-bomber during WW-2 but it was also a capable dogfighter if it needed to defend itself. It is most known for fatally damaging 3 aircraft carriers at Midway in under 7 minutes. The Dauntless was a tough fighter, at one point, a Dauntless pilot was attacked by 3 Zeros. He shot down 2 and collided wings with the 3rd, the Dauntless' wing was undamaged, and the Zero's wing ripped right off.)

That would be US Navy Stanley "Swede" Vejtasa who was the American pilot in that fight.

The TV show Dogfights covered this engagement (starts at 1:20 of the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_dYBEbIvX0

After the Battle of The Coral Sea, he was reassigned to F4F Wildcats and during the Battle of Santa Cruz (Oct 25-26, 1942), in a single mission, managed to down 2 Vals and 5 Kates that were attacking USS Enterprise (CV-6), a record for the Wildcat.

Wow that guy is the Wedge Antilles of the USN!

The fact that BTL-A4 Y-Wing title is not unique gives us an attractive multiple use of it in a squad. Sure, there's no howlrunner on the rebel side and probably not either on scum, but a relentless amount of unaided attacks, especially if you adopt a fly in your face flight path is bound to be fun to try out.

Sure, there's no howlrunner on the rebel side and probably not either on scum

If you blow up the spread image, the PS8 M3-A pilot, Serissu, allows other ships at Range 1 to reroll a defense die.

Not a Howlrunner exactly, but the same ability for defense.

Sure, there's no howlrunner on the rebel side and probably not either on scum

If you blow up the spread image, the PS8 M3-A pilot, Serissu, allows other ships at Range 1 to reroll a defense die.

Not a Howlrunner exactly, but the same ability for defense.

Which does nothing to buff the extra attack.

I wouldn't say it's overpowered but the rebels have gotten some serious boosts to the ywing making certain combinations into some of the most powerful ships in the game. It's defintely another major powerboost for the rebels even if it's not quite absurdly overpowered as recent releases for them. However I'm glad to see ywings become a strong ship now.

What's the power boost? I see the autoblaster turret, bomb bay, and btl a4, none of which seem very powerful. I rather think it will be difficult to use them well. They don't boost the y-wing, they just give it more options. I'm not sure any of these upgrades beats the utility of an ICT Goldie.
If you honestly don't believe a zero cost title upgrade that gives a ship two atks a turn isn't a power boost I don't know what to tell you considering gunner is still one of the most popular upgrades in the game and costs 5 points for the privilege. I don't think it's overpowered and I feel it's fitting for the y wing however it most certainly is a powerboost on regards to it's efficiency. Saying something is just options and doesn't make a ship more powerful is just a farce by bad players who can't judge how to use these abilities in meaningful combinations. Everytime someone said that exact quote to me in regards to any half decent ability they ended up being completely wrong. Once again the ywing upgrades are not overpowered but the ship itself is better for it. Edited by Gungo

So, Drea with R4-B11 and a Proton Torpedo.

Acquire a target lock at PS5. Spend the lock to fire, but reacquire one for a stress. Spend the lock to reroll any blanks, or any eyeballs after the first, then re-acquire again for a second stress. Use that token to force the attacker to reroll any evades, or evades and eyeballs if they have a focus token. Take a third stress to acquire a new target lock on anyone within range 3, setting up your next attack (because you are not going to be taking actions, ever).

I want to like this potential. It's a 4-5 attack dice (depending on the torpedo), gives you rerolls for a 50% increase to your average damage, while also cutting the average number of evades your opponent will roll by about half. But three stress tokens is a STEEP price to pay for that kind of attack.

I am liking the idea of Drea with the unhinged astromech. She acquires a Target lock then uses it. Gets it back for one stress and then has a huge dial of green maneuvers to use to kill the stress. Hell I'd even add the Blaster Turret and focus every turn after I get said Target lock. Spend that focus on the turret, reroll with the target lock, and take the stress to get it again. Next turn, pull a green and get back into the fight. Add in Engine upgrade and you have one hell of a dogfighting Y-wing

I think the Scum ships are very interesting.  Looks like secondary weapons will be played much more than they are now.  Right now, I usually only see HLCs.  Rarely do I see missiles.  I almost never see any turret weapons.

I think I will get the Scum ships (I already collect both Rebels and Imperials), provided that I still have someone to play with by the time these ships come out.  (As I mentioned in another thread, the people in my area are for some reason defecting to WH40K).

So, Drea with R4-B11 and a Proton Torpedo.

Acquire a target lock at PS5. Spend the lock to fire, but reacquire one for a stress. Spend the lock to reroll any blanks, or any eyeballs after the first, then re-acquire again for a second stress. Use that token to force the attacker to reroll any evades, or evades and eyeballs if they have a focus token. Take a third stress to acquire a new target lock on anyone within range 3, setting up your next attack (because you are not going to be taking actions, ever).

I want to like this potential. It's a 4-5 attack dice (depending on the torpedo), gives you rerolls for a 50% increase to your average damage, while also cutting the average number of evades your opponent will roll by about half. But three stress tokens is a STEEP price to pay for that kind of attack.

I think with Drea, discretion will be the better part of tactics.  The possibilities are nice and make her flexible but to get the most out of her you'll have to be shrewd about when to use her ability and what to use her target locks for.

I am liking the idea of Drea with the unhinged astromech. She acquires a Target lock then uses it. Gets it back for one stress and then has a huge dial of green maneuvers to use to kill the stress. Hell I'd even add the Blaster Turret and focus every turn after I get said Target lock. Spend that focus on the turret, reroll with the target lock, and take the stress to get it again. Next turn, pull a green and get back into the fight. Add in Engine upgrade and you have one hell of a dogfighting Y-wing

I like comboing Drea with the Unhinged Astro but I've been struggling on what to give her from there.  The Blaster Turret is really better with an R4 on a generic or Kavil IMO, but the Ion Turret doesn't really need TL + Focus and the Autoblaster Turret could be hard to use.  Also the A4 title could be nice or could be better without, time will tell.  The only no brainer for Drea is torps, she loves torps and I'll imagine they'll love her.