Sign in to follow this  
Gadge

I never though i'd say this but....

Prequel stuff is growing on me.

hear me out...   I couldnt get TIE fighter to run on my laptop, (still struggling with a dos emulator thang) so dug out the old PS2 and got 'jedi starfighter' for about $2 from a second hand games store.

If i'm honest *purely* because i knew you could unlock X wings, Tie fighters , firesprays and z95s (dissapointingly while they look different and fly a little different they all have the same screen HUD :(  )

Anyway playing that along with reading the 'star wars visual dictionary' that covers all six films  i cant help having a nagging feeling that as long as prequel and OT ships didnt mix it up i'd like to see an expansion of the ruleset that covered 'republic era' dogfights

...last of the jedi interceptors max.....

I KNOW prequel stuff has a snowballs chance of being made but i no longer hate the idea

Never though i'd say that.

:).

I was just thinking that if never watch the Lucas clone wars. But I saw a video of the animations of space battles from that series. Wow. What incredible artistry. And what a world we live in now. How much the themes of corruption and grey morality mean.

Yeah. I'm kind of sentimental today. And I can't sleep.

This song has me completely feeling everything too.

Hoping for someone to share everything with.

On topic again. I love prequel ships and Jedi. Laat gunship is my favorite.

It's just great also watching the destruction of the republic and its ships and stuff. Idk. Poetic. Grandeur. Pomp. Color. Death. Ruin.

Edited by Blail Blerg

You see the more i think about it the stuff that was naff about the prequels  *wasnt* the space ship combat.

Probably the only really good stuff in them.

Pinball yoda was naff

Jar Jar binks was naff

everything about anakin was naff (as child and jedi)

But the ship design wasnt too bad and the combars were pretty cool.

Never going to happen but i'd like to see some old Arc170s or jedi stafigters still in service (after being refitte for non jedi pilots) in scum and villainy.

Phantom menace fights were all lame but the jango obj fight was cool and the opening of Sith was the best part of that film, but none of them match return for me seeing a-wings and b-wings curling against eyeballs and squints that's star wars.

It's mute anyway ffg don't want to do prequel stuff and Disney would not okay it even if they did.

Oh its not a good game, i just needed a 'flying a TIE' fix and it was about two dollars (uk £1.50)

However after a grand total of abut three hours on it (put in the 'unlock all ships' code isntantly...  i'm bored of it already.  I can see it having some reason to keep it to do the split screen x wing vs tie dogfight with mates but its got few redeeming features after that.

it was worth the £1.50 to hear the tie  'howl' and go woooooorooar' when you accelerate :)   

The only issue I see with a prequel version of this game is that all of the Republic ships are awesome (jedi fighters! ARC-170s etc) and all of the separtitsh ships are meh.

You'd get Jango's Slave 1, and that's about it. Maybe Ventress's starfighter and Grievous's ship, but not even those two are that cool.

I would never ever want to fly a vulture droid when I could fly pilot skill 10 Anakin in a Jedi starfighter.

Not as long as Disney own it they have put an end to any prequel project from here on out.

Can you point to an actual statement from Disney/Lucasfilm on that? Because from my seats what I have seen is

"When Disney took over they cancelled The Clone Wars"

to

"Since Disney acquired Star Wars a few months ago they haven't said anything about the prequel/clone wars era"

to

"From the limited evidence it looks like Disney is trying to downplay the prequel era"

to

"Disney is avoiding any mention of the prequels"

and now

"Disney is not going to let anyone do anything with the prequels ever again"

I can't wait for prequel ships. And if there is one thing I've learned about Star Wars, it will come out.

Not as long as Disney own it they have put an end to any prequel project from here on out.

Well, it appears Disney has backtracked on the very thing they never actually said.

At NYCC 2014, they just announced Greg Weisman would be working on a Marvel comic series titled, "Star Wars – Kanan: The Last Padawan," which is set in the prequel era.

So it would appear that Disney is open to exploring the past, even while their focus may be on future-oriented projects.

I have very little problem with the world of the Epidoes I-III. Most of the vehicles, droids and troopers are really cool. Eppisode I-III were missing story, plot, character development. There are a few things from these episodes that I really hate.

1- missiles that release droids that take your ship appart rather than just kill you.

2- everything from naboo.

3- most everything they did with the jedi.

There were a few things that were really really cool

1- Almost everything they did with the clones (designe elements not story)

2- LAAT is my #1 Star Wars vehicle. Love that ship.

3- The three legged walker (don't remember what it was called)

4- Dager shapped republic/clone cruisers.

Seriously nobody cares that the OT saber battles were utter crap. two idiots with no training waving a stick in front of their face?

Well, it's not exactly a fair comparison.  Fight choreography and the technical abilities that were available in 1999-onwards were probably far superior to those available in 1976, to say nothing of the comparative budgets of the different movies.  

Of course the fight scenes looked better in the prequels.  I think that they often focused too much on the technical aspects of the battles (both the lightsaber duels and space battles), and not enough on the storytelling aspect, though.  The fights always felt more like a demonstration of the SFX budget than anything else.  This was especially problematic when you start having clone vs. droid battles.  In the movies you never really get to know any clones, and they're so **** stoic that they are almost as impersonal as the droids they're fighting.  There's no emotional element; they're just grinding each other down.  Thank goodness the clone wars series fixed that problem.

Anyway, I like the designs of some prequel ships well enough.  The V-Wings especially.  I never liked the droids; they always felt like cartoon villains; always just playing at being the bad guys and never actually seeming sinister.  

Seriously nobody cares that the OT saber battles were utter crap. two idiots with no training waving a stick in front of their face?

The fight coreographer and double for Vader in ESB and ROTJ was an Olympic fencer.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Anderson_(fencer)

The PT fights were handled by a stunt coordinator, not an actual swordsman.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Gillard

Edited by Radarman5

Yeah, I'd agree that's not a fair comparison. They spent $11 million and made $460 million in 1977. That's like spending $40 million to make a movie and pulling in $1.4 billion in 2014! Expensive movies nowadays cost $300 million, so for spending 1/10th of the budget of a modern film (adjusted for inflation), I'd say it was a phenomenal movie, especially considering it was made in 1977.

JJ Abrams better not disappoint....

Edited by s1n

Yeah, I'd agree that's not a fair comparison. They spent $11 million and made $460 million in 1977. That's like spending $40 million to make a movie and pulling in $1.4 billion in 2014! Expensive movies nowadays cost $300 million, so for spending 1/10th of the budget of a modern film (adjusted for inflation), I'd say it was a phenomenal movie, especially considering it was made in 1977.

JJ Abrams better not disappoint....

He will, he screwed up Star Trek.

Prequel stuff is growing on me.

hear me out...   I couldnt get TIE fighter to run on my laptop, (still struggling with a dos emulator thang) so dug out the old PS2 and got 'jedi starfighter' for about $2 from a second hand games store.

If i'm honest *purely* because i knew you could unlock X wings, Tie fighters , firesprays and z95s (dissapointingly while they look different and fly a little different they all have the same screen HUD :(  )

Anyway playing that along with reading the 'star wars visual dictionary' that covers all six films  i cant help having a nagging feeling that as long as prequel and OT ships didnt mix it up i'd like to see an expansion of the ruleset that covered 'republic era' dogfights

...last of the jedi interceptors max.....

I KNOW prequel stuff has a snowballs chance of being made but i no longer hate the idea

Never though i'd say that.

SACRIFICE HIM TO APPEASE THE OT GODS!!!!!!!! But seriously, I really don't like the prequel ships to much (the ARC-170 was a horrible idea, 3 man fighter??), but I do like the V-wings.

I know that that expert was on the job for th OT but the actors or stunt coordinators didn't have the ability to really handle the task. Simply watch Luke vs vader in six. You can see that all he's doing is waving it in front of his face. There's no swing. There's no direction or even a sense of momentum.

Yes I really really hate how badly done the story and character development was. That needed to be better.

I think the clones in the movies were kind of meant to be like that. It highlights our unempathetic nature as a modern society.

Seriously I have more of a problem with the excruciatingly dumb good vs bad of the OT. It's just really **** stupid. It makes an American audience want to feel good about themselves in a very deadly way. It creates this whole us versus them syndrome you see in a lot of Americans when we talk about our wars. Then there's the whole "we are the small, totally unique and badass rebels against a big daddy government that's oppressive and wholly evil.

First that isn't tryue anymore. We ARE the republic and the empire. We are the big bad guys.

Second of all the small rebel feeling are typically confederates and self armed vigilantes. If anyone's read batman or Spider-Man you know what the problems of that are.

The PT made me hate everything about the era and the Clone Wars. That is until the Clone Wars CG series came out and I was talked into watching sometime during its 4th season. Now I appreciate the PT simply for making that great series possible and have an appreciation for the material that the films simply failed to convey in a meaningful manner.

I can't wait for prequel ships. And if there is one thing I've learned about Star Wars, it will come out.

Hobo I have called you out on this several times already. Ive given several examples of prequel or clone war related material that has come out post disney takeover.

Disney HAS focused more on the OT era because of Rebels and the new movies, but they dont have some aversion to the prequel era that makes it completely untouchable.

I know that that expert was on the job for th OT but the actors or stunt coordinators didn't have the ability to really handle the task. Simply watch Luke vs vader in six. You can see that all he's doing is waving it in front of his face. There's no swing. There's no direction or even a sense of momentum.

Yes I really really hate how badly done the story and character development was. That needed to be better.

I think the clones in the movies were kind of meant to be like that. It highlights our unempathetic nature as a modern society.

Seriously I have more of a problem with the excruciatingly dumb good vs bad of the OT. It's just really **** stupid. It makes an American audience want to feel good about themselves in a very deadly way. It creates this whole us versus them syndrome you see in a lot of Americans when we talk about our wars. Then there's the whole "we are the small, totally unique and badass rebels against a big daddy government that's oppressive and wholly evil.

First that isn't tryue anymore. We ARE the republic and the empire. We are the big bad guys.

Second of all the small rebel feeling are typically confederates and self armed vigilantes. If anyone's read batman or Spider-Man you know what the problems of that are.

The actor in the Darth Vader suit during those fights IS that Stunt coordinator/ Olympic fencer. It was a conscious decision to go with that swordplay form (iirc a mixture of broadsword and katana forms). Sure the AHN Vader/ObiWan fight is a bit weak, the the ones in ESB & ROTJ are awesome. Most of the PT fights look overly flashy and silly.

But the OT came out at a time when all the movies featured gray themes, corruption, etc. It was meant to be lighter and more hopeful story than what was then over-saturating our culture.

I don't get your anti-rebellion point, American was founded on rebellion. Small bands of armed rebels striking out against the Empire is our history, even if we have become just another empire today.