Sign in to follow this  
Plainsman

150 points = more fun!!

as I said before the inevitable point inflation will come. Don't rush it.

I still think the 100 point limits are good for the competitive scene where time is often limited. However with casual games you can adjust just about anything from point limits to the size of the play area, to the number of obstacles as long as all players can agree on it.

...You...should just play Epic...I mean it's...Epic...and stuff.

All kidding aside it sounds like your all ready for this FANTASTIC format that receives the least love. Crank it up to 200 points and bam, team Epic happens. :)

doooo iiittt. Come on, you know you want to play with the big boy toys.:D

I'd be happier if they gave Imperials (and S&V) some big boy toys. Edited by Marinealver

I've been thinking of playing 150 games specially after seeing the new boba fett card cost 39 points. After a couple upgrades that's pretty much already half your squad so Im thinking moving it up to 150 will allow more room for more ships

Edited by Jbird793

150 pts battles usually don't result in much more than one or two extra fighters (unless you go for total swarm). Instead it allows you to maximise the potential of the ships you already have. At 100 pts you really need to prioritize what you can allow yourself to take/use, while at 150 pts you know you have enough points to take that EPT/Astromech/System Upgrade/Modification combo that you know will be really devastating/awesome. I truly recommend people to start playing more games using 150 pts.

My friends and I have exclusively played 150pt. games for some time now. We've found that it has allowed us to explore more interesting combinations, field ships we might not use normally, pilots we might not use normally, and doesn't take much longer at all as more often then not you're fielding one more ship and a few more upgrades.

3'x3' has been totally fine for us.

-Cal

In my experience, 150 points on a 3x3ays out exactly as a 100 point match except that in the first pass you get to pick one enemy ship to remove from the board each. So much firw power means there's little you can do about this other than except it. It's this reason why I don't play t more as it offers so little variance over a 100 point game.

150 on a 4 x 4 is a completely different beast

Yeah.  I highly advocate making the board larger.  even 4x3 is what i play on.  

I play 300 pt epic on a 6x6 board with 24 asteroids.  And we encourage the use of AOE damage like Assault missiles. Makes it into a real multi theater giant battle.  rather than a "lets just rush everything together and see what comes out! like the british"

You can easily go up to something like 400vs 400 too.  

Yeah. games don't go longer.  Stuff dies fast.  

Yeah they really need to make more Huge ships so the Empire can join. Although a massive attack squadron of eight ties, four interceptors and still more is just as imperial Epic as anything really. At least at launch Scum will be semi ready for Epic thanks to the all four IG-88 list.;D

why not get a 20 sided dice roll it and thats how many points your squad has to be...    and to make it really interesting both sides roll. so it might be a really lopsided battle..lol  just have a minimum limit of say something like 20 points...  just think it would add another dimension to the game when you have to build a 32 point squad or some other odd number.....

We played another game tonight and it was over FAST! I had Soontir, Turr, Rexler and Vessery! 2nd turn I was shooting and by turn three had already killed Arvel and his HWK and had badly damaged a BWing. the whole time I lost a single shield! He conceded at that point!

The whole game played out on one half of the 3x3 board as my flankers drove him to one side.

PS of 10, 9, 9, 8 sure didnt hurt me tonight! LOL!

I LOVE 150 ptn games!

I have a 4x4 spacemat from Frontline that we use, and it is a nice space, we usually set up upto rangeband 2 to factor in the extra length,

other then that, I just love that it allows us to pick those extra options and upgrades, at 100 you are so strapped for points that u usually only get to squeze in one 'gimmick' that has to fly your list,

at 150 you can make a more diverse list that gives more options and tactics, put in the gimmick you like and actually support it and have more options to deal with all the other things.

Last time I flew a Han with the 2 named Z95's (was trying to practice staying in formation with a large base) and a Corran for disruptive behaviour :D

I only lost the Cracken and some shields in the end :D

I've been feeling that the game at 100 pts is too limiting also, especially with the release of wave 4; certain ships feel like they need more support than can be fielded and just don't 'feel' right when played.

The extra points at 150 seems like it would open up the possibility of new tactics and allow the use of pilots/upgrades that are just not viable in a 100 game; will definitely give it a try.

Does anyone have any experience using 120 points? Does this, as the upper limit of escalation seem like a likely 'new' standard sized game?  

I thought Escalation capped at 150?

Escalation does cap at 150, and it is played on a 3x3!

From what Im seeing for responses, a lot of us are in agreement, the game is outgrowing 100pts and many of us are moving to the 150 point level, keeping swarms to 8 ships like in escalation.

I think 150 point is the way to go. Allows for more variation without taking too much longer. First 150 I did, I took Fat Han with 4 z 95s and 2 x-wings. Tore the high pilot skill imperials apart :P

In my experience, 150 points on a 3x3ays out exactly as a 100 point match except that in the first pass you get to pick one enemy ship to remove from the board each. So much firw power means there's little you can do about this other than except it. It's this reason why I don't play t more as it offers so little variance over a 100 point game.

150 on a 4 x 4 is a completely different beast

Good point, if you increase the point limit you may want to increase the size of the playing area.

I like playing at 150 pts. As everyone else has said, it usually is not about just adding more ships but about having better ships(upgraded) with a ship or two extra. And actually for me, as an Empire player, I usually have the same or less ships because I will try better ships all around instead of one or two good ships and swarm filler. Tonight I used Commander Kenkirk with Moff Jerjerrod, Ysane Isard, Intel Agent, Determination, and Hull upgrade, Soontir Fell with Targeting. Computer and Push the Limit, and Shield Upgrade,(with Royal Guard Tie), Whisperer with Veteran Insticts, Advanced Cloaking Device, and Fire Control System, and last but not least, Dark Curse with a Shield Upgrade. Four ships for the Empire at 150.(granted 1 was a decimator) and I won pretty easily against 3As(all named and decked out) and 2Bs(all named and decked out)

I like playing at 150 pts. As everyone else has said, it usually is not about just adding more ships but about having better ships(upgraded) with a ship or two extra. And actually for me, as an Empire player, I usually have the same or less ships because I will try better ships all around instead of one or two good ships and swarm filler. Tonight I used Commander Kenkirk with Moff Jerjerrod, Ysane Isard, Intel Agent, Determination, and Hull upgrade, Soontir Fell with Targeting. Computer and Push the Limit, and Shield Upgrade,(with Royal Guard Tie), Whisperer with Veteran Insticts, Advanced Cloaking Device, and Fire Control System, and last but not least, Dark Curse with a Shield Upgrade. Four ships for the Empire at 150.(granted 1 was a decimator) and I won pretty easily against 3As(all named and decked out) and 2Bs(all named and decked out)

This is exactly what we've been experiencing, 4-5 high quality ships per side and its awesome!

I am not a fan of 150pts. But I must admit I have never had any close games. I would recomend playing on 100pts for a while then transisition to 150, when you have experience and are capable to pilot that many ships.