Sign in to follow this  
Monkeyshine77

Y-Wings :-(

I have always loved the Y-Wing since I first saw it in the movies. Not sure why but I always have. When I first got into X-Wing about a month ago I had to do some scrounging and hunting to find anyand got 2. I had an opportunity to get a 3rd today and stopped because no matter hard I try to make one work for me it never happens. So how can I then justify having 3? I know that some of the issues I have had were user error on my part, but even with that factored in it still seems like a lousy ship at the moment which makes me sad. Any advice?

Ion Cannon Turret is nearly auto-include on Y-wings to use them competitively, otherwise they are overcosted by about 2 points. Hopefully they will be viable without a turret in wave 6. There is what looks to be a Y-wing upgrade of some sorts that still has not been spoiled.

Most-Wanted-product-shot_v3b.png

Ion Cannon Turret is nearly auto-include on Y-wings to use them competitively, otherwise they are overcosted by about 2 points. Hopefully they will be viable without a turret in wave 6. There is what looks to be a Y-wing upgrade of some sorts that still has not been spoiled.

Most-Wanted-product-shot_v3b.png

It certainly appears as though the first part of the text has to do with targeting outside of your firing arc, so we shall see.

This is my guess...

"The BTL-A4 was a one-man version of the S3, which removed the gunner position and locked down the overhead ion cannon.

It was used commonly by pirate, mercenary, and private defense forces, and therefore was also used by the early Rebel Alliance as the primary starfighter for bombing and disabling roles. As the BTL-S3 became the primary Y-wing variant of the Rebel forces, the A4 was still kept in many units as a supplementary craft. However, Red and Gold Squadrons favored[16] the A4 variant of the Y-wing and used it with distinction in several climactic battles, such as the Battle of Yavin, the capture of the Death Star II plans from the Imperial freighter Suprosa[17][18], and the subsequent Battle of Endor."

I've been doing pretty well with Y-Wings lately. R7-T1 and the generic R2s are my preferred Astromechs, and the Ion Cannons are excellent board control. If you can Ion a target while it's stressed, it's pretty well SOL.

Been practicing this list:

Grey Squadron Pilot + R2 Astromech + Ion Cannon Turret

Grey Squadron Pilot + R2 Astromech + Ion Cannon Turret

Gold Squadron Pilot + R2 Astromech + Ion Cannon Turret

Gold Squadron Pilot + R2 Astromech + Ion Cannon Turret

I have always loved the Y-Wing since I first saw it in the movies. Not sure why but I always have. When I first got into X-Wing about a month ago I had to do some scrounging and hunting to find anyand got 2. I had an opportunity to get a 3rd today and stopped because no matter hard I try to make one work for me it never happens. So how can I then justify having 3? I know that some of the issues I have had were user error on my part, but even with that factored in it still seems like a lousy ship at the moment which makes me sad. Any advice?

Y-Wings are probably the most underrated ship in the game right now.  I have 3 and I have used 3.  Would use 4 or maybe even more for epic games if I had more.  People don't fear them, but I've seen them do hella damage, even with the main gun.   Turret slot is always nice, so is astromech.   But one of the best things is the fact that they are both cheap, and incredibly tough.  If you are playing competitively then you have a great advantage in a versatile ship that forces your enemy to dedicate a ton of dice to try to kill.   

Horton is hilariously becoming the meta right now. I've been having fun and mixed success running him, has more to do with my playing decisions than the strength of the list I bring. Dutch is great both naked and with ion cannon turret and golds with ion cannon turrets are solid as well. That's the only issue right now is I've pretty much outlined every way to play them. Ducth and fat Horton go well together so you can justify two, but it really isn't a ship you'll want 3 of before wave 6.

Ion turret and engine upgrade for a surprisingly nimble, 360 degree firing space tank... Dodge arcs and still get shots in.

I had a lot of success with ion turret y wings paired with ion cannon b wings. So much board control.

I love my Y-Wings, and I own three of them.

I like putting a basic R2 Astromech on them, and then have them flipping and racing around the board. It's fun to arc dodge with a Y, and then still have a great turret shot after. Their HP/Shields keep them alive.

Great fun.

But yeah, right now they kind of need an Ion Turret on them. I'm not a fan of the Blaster Turret on them - I save that for my HWKs.

I love my Y-Wings, and I own three of them.

I like putting a basic R2 Astromech on them, and then have them flipping and racing around the board. It's fun to arc dodge with a Y, and then still have a great turret shot after. Their HP/Shields keep them alive.

Great fun.

But yeah, right now they kind of need an Ion Turret on them. I'm not a fan of the Blaster Turret on them - I save that for my HWKs.

It looks like Blaster Turrets and Ion Turrets do about the same amount of damage over time when the Blaster is taking unmodified shots and the Ion has the benefit of having either a TL or a Focus. The Blaster does slightly more damage but not enough to outweigh the benefit from the Ion token.

My Y-Wings are mostly sitting in the space Garage, unused over the cheaper turret-carrying HWKs, which is a shame because they're one of my favorite fighters. Unless the Scum pack offers something even fancier for the Rebel Y-Wings to use, I'm basically waiting for the right turret to come along to resuscitate my Y-Wings and get them back to the field.

I know about bombs, but eh. I'll take bombs along with whatever future upgrade card that incentivizes trying to dogfight with a Y-Wing. Hopefully this will be another amazing torpedo of some kind.

My Y-Wings are mostly sitting in the space Garage, unused over the cheaper turret-carrying HWKs, which is a shame because they're one of my favorite fighters. Unless the Scum pack offers something even fancier for the Rebel Y-Wings to use, I'm basically waiting for the right turret to come along to resuscitate my Y-Wings and get them back to the field.

I know about bombs, but eh. I'll take bombs along with whatever future upgrade card that incentivizes trying to dogfight with a Y-Wing. Hopefully this will be another amazing torpedo of some kind.

According to the illicit dealings article the Most Wanted pack contains 8 types of upgrade cards usable by an Y-Wing, many of which a rebel Y-wing can equip too.

5 of those are the salvaged astromechs and there is the bomb slot.

The other two are an autoblaster turret (?) and a yet unknown title.

So improvements for the Y-Wing are on the way!

I like Y-wing but they are closer to fire support ships then line fighters so you have to build them accordingly. 

Most common is Ion-wings with Ion turret, If you can combine it with stress such as flechete torpedoes or R3-A2 (aka the stress bot) then you get some great control options.

As for unique pilots Dutch is the most popular as he passes target locks to friendly ships. Teamed up with pilots like Garven and you get a great token passing squadron that gets additional Target Locks and Focus. None of the Y-wing pilots have EPT slots so R2-D6 can give you some options but it sacrifices your astromech slot.

With Horton the problem is in NOT taking range 2-3 torpedoes as that is his specialty. Many players at first just throw a lone Ion Cannon turret and call it good but that is a lot of point efficiency lost as his ability though combines with Ion exceptionally well at range 2, but loses it at range 1 as well as Ion turret can't attack at range 3. Many people take R2 astromech in order to improve the mobility of the Y-wing with extra green maneuvers to help line up range 2 and 3 torpedo shots.

Just fyi, from an imperial player:  bombs suck

Also.  The fat Horton list does look fun.  Could be tier 2 competitive.  By YwingAce.  I like it. 

Bombs don't suck. They require some piloting skill and they are situational, too.

Seismics are well-priced with a cost of 2 points - Mines and Proton Bombs are one point too much each.

Now with the latest FAQ the Mines got an interesting buff - but 3 points are still not justified.

But I think its worth to try it. Take 2 Scimitars/Y-Wings with Mines and blow an enemy high PS ship right before combat phase.

I don't play Rebels often, but when I do I usually have a couple Y-Wings in my build. Kyle HWK w/ IT, RS and Dutch w/ IT make a great combo for board control. Generally I just go with a couple Golds w/ IT though. Nothing but success.

-Cal