Sign in to follow this  
SmartCookie

New FAQ with wave 5 online

BTW, Autoblaster now bypasses C-3PO.

Has Ten Numb become a relevant and have we found the first use for Accuracy Corrector?

31 Ten Numb 

1 Veteran Instincts

5 Auto Blaster

3 Accuracy Corrector

4 Engine Upgrade

44 pts

Has Ten Numb become a relevant and have we found the first use for Accuracy Corrector?

31 Ten Numb 

1 Veteran Instincts

5 Auto Blaster

3 Accuracy Corrector

4 Engine Upgrade

44 pts

How do Ten and accuracy corrector combo? AC will cancel the critical results before the defender has a chance to not be able to cancel one of them.

31 Ten Numb 

1 Veteran Instincts

5 Auto Blaster

3 Accuracy Corrector

4 Engine Upgrade

44 pts

How do Ten and accuracy corrector combo? AC will cancel the critical results before the defender has a chance to not be able to cancel one of them.

I agree, not a smart combination.  The new ruling definitely increases the potency of Ten Numb+Autoblaster, but it does NOT improve the Ten Numb+Accuracy Corrector Combination.  It effectively negates his ability, therefore it is a waste.  Now, another B-wing Pilot with Autoblaster+Accuracy Corrector could very well do some damage, even just a Blue Squadron.

However, the biggest weakness of Autoblaster still exists: Range 1 Only.

31 Ten Numb 

1 Veteran Instincts

5 Auto Blaster

3 Accuracy Corrector

4 Engine Upgrade

44 pts

I agree, not a smart combination.  The new ruling definitely increases the potency of Ten Numb+Autoblaster, but it does NOT improve the Ten Numb+Accuracy Corrector Combination.  It effectively negates his ability, therefore it is a waste.  Now, another B-wing Pilot with Autoblaster+Accuracy Corrector could very well do some damage, even just a Blue Squadron.

Add an engine upgrade?  With accuracy corrector, there won't be much of a need for a focus or target lock if you can consistently get at range 1.

31 Ten Numb 

1 Veteran Instincts

5 Auto Blaster

3 Accuracy Corrector

4 Engine Upgrade

44 pts

Add an engine upgrade?  With accuracy corrector, there won't be much of a need for a focus or target lock if you can consistently get at range 1.

Yup, Engine Upgrade is the solution, but Autoblaster is nowhere near good enough to even have spent five points on its effectiveness.  With Engine Upgrade you are at 9 points, and with AC you are at 12.  For significantly less you could have had a Heavy Laser Cannon, which is a better investment in the long run.

Interesting, so Stay On Target actually changed its printed text from the preview article AND it got an FAQ just to make it clear. Did the early wave 5 ships FFG sold have the current "your maneuver" text, or the original (and controversial) "that maneuver"?

So am I to understand correctly the following:

The Decimator starts at 0 Agility

It activates Expose, reducing it to -1 Agility

It is attacked at R3, so it rolls (-1 agility + 1 green die for range) 0 dice

Likewise

It is attacked at R3 by Wedge w/ Outmaneuver, reducing it to -2 agility

It rolls (-2 agility + 1 green die for range = -1 agility, rounded up to 0 at the end) 0 dice.

Is that correct?

Obstacles and Range 3 don't increase the defender's Agility, they add an additional defense die. So in both of your examples the Decimator would still be rolling 1 defense die from the range bonus, which is added to the 0 Agility.

I had to read autoblaster 3 times before finally getting it.  So the dumbed down version of it is: (hit icon) results cannot be cancelled by defense dice or evade result (so any type of evade, really).  The defender may cancel (critical hit icon) before (hit icon) results.

So an evade token needs to be transformed into a dice with an evade symbol which the autoblaster ignores.

Same thing with C3PO which adds an evade result which takes the form of an evade dice, which is ignored by the autoblaster.

Did I get it right?

I think it's more that results are just results, and the "defense dice" part is now meaningless.  The Dice Results section is really clumsy in trying to say this, but the Autoblaster "ruling" makes it pretty clear that it doesn't matter where the result comes from, it can't be canceled.
Then, by wording precedent, this also buffs Ten Numb?

Can't spend an evade token to cancel that crit, even if your dice cancel all the others.

Ten Numb + E2 + Mercenary Co-Pilot

'The Range 3 auto-hit machine'

So am I to understand correctly the following:

It activates Expose, reducing it to -1 Agility

It is attacked at R3, so it rolls (-1 agility + 1 green die for range) 0 dice

Likewise

It is attacked at R3 by Wedge w/ Outmaneuver, reducing it to -2 agility

It rolls (-2 agility + 1 green die for range = -1 agility, rounded up to 0 at the end) 0 dice.

Is that correct?

R3 just adds a green die, not increase agility

Right, it adds a die to the total.  But if you ignore the "To a minimum of 0" until everything is resolved, if your total is -2 (Say Wedge + Outmaneuver) it will then add a die to -1.  And then once everything is resolved, the "to a minimum of 0" kicks back in, and you don't roll anything.

I think the real reason that this made the FAQ was to deal with how effects like Kenkirk's ability stacks with something like Expose. When two effects are being applied at the same time, a player gets to decide the order that they apply. If someone with Kenkirk used Expose they could potentially apply Expose first which wouldn't decrease the agility because it was already at zero and then apply Kenkirk's ability bringing it to one.

A lot of people would call BS on that but having it in the FAQ keeps the argument from happening in the first place.

EDIT: I just noticed that the FAQ entry for Kenkirk reads: "See “Increasing and Reducing Values” on 

page 8."
Edited by WWHSD

I had to read autoblaster 3 times before finally getting it.  So the dumbed down version of it is: (hit icon) results cannot be cancelled by defense dice or evade result (so any type of evade, really).  The defender may cancel (critical hit icon) before (hit icon) results. So an evade token needs to be transformed into a dice with an evade symbol which the autoblaster ignores.Same thing with C3PO which adds an evade result which takes the form of an evade dice, which is ignored by the autoblaster. Did I get it right?

I think it's more that results are just results, and the "defense dice" part is now meaningless.  The Dice Results section is really clumsy in trying to say this, but the Autoblaster "ruling" makes it pretty clear that it doesn't matter where the result comes from, it can't be canceled.
Then, by wording precedent, this also buffs Ten Numb? Can't spend an evade token to cancel that crit, even if your dice cancel all the others.Ten Numb + E2 + Mercenary Co-Pilot'The Range 3 auto-hit machine'

I'm not sure. If yes, then why isn't Ten Numb's card specifically faqed? If no, then FFG just buffed a card via faq. As in, not clairfying text that was already there, but rather subtly changing the way the card should read to give it a buff. I know there are reasons for which some people will oppose that, but I find it exciting. FFG might just start balancing crappy cards via faq.

When two effects are being applied at the same time, a player gets to decide the order that they apply.

The rules don't actually define this.  This is how it works when multiple abilities trigger from the same effect, but there are no rules concerning order of operations for summing multiple ongoing effects.

The FAQ basically makes it irrelevant, since by removing the "floor" any order you add them in will arrive at the same place.

Then, by wording precedent, this also buffs Ten Numb? Can't spend an evade token to cancel that crit, even if your dice cancel all the others.Ten Numb + E2 + Mercenary Co-Pilot'The Range 3 auto-hit machine'

I'm not sure. If yes, then why isn't Ten Numb's card specifically faqed? If no, then FFG just buffed a card via faq. As in, not clairfying text that was already there, but rather subtly changing the way the card should read to give it a buff. I know there are reasons for which some people will oppose that, but I find it exciting. FFG might just start balancing crappy cards via faq.

Ten gets the boost as well.  While the Autoblaster mentions it specifically, there is a new "Dice Results" rule that is the foundation for that and will apply to Ten.

There's not really any doubt that they buffed them via ruling, or that this goes pretty directly against what was previously printed (and even intended, if you're into that sort of thing).  They did the same for Proximity Mine as well.

but rather subtly changing the way the card should read to give it a buff.

That does seem to be what has happened.

If it is that any result added to the dice pool is the same regardless of the source. Which is what it seems to be saying.

Then yes you can not cancel a <crit> using an evade result from the Evade action. So that means at least one <crit> from Ten will get though no matter what. I'm not sure how much more useful Merc co-pilot is, for 3 points you increase the chances of a <crit> and a possible 2nd or more <crit>s and anything beyond the first one can be canceled

Ten gets the boost as well.  While the Autoblaster mentions it specifically, there is a new "Dice Results" rule that is the foundation for that and will apply to Ten.

There's not really any doubt that they buffed them via ruling, or that this goes pretty directly against what was previously printed (and even intended, if you're into that sort of thing).  They did the same for Proximity Mine as well.

Then why doesn't ten numb have an entry that says to look at autoblaster or page x?

Intersting note, Garven can trigger his token pass on using R5-P9, even if he has no lost shields to recover...can anyone think of any uses for this? The only ones I can think of would be to a ship with R5-P9(which is of course impossible), to Corran, or to a Moldy Crow title HWK, as otherwise the passed token would just be removed in the end phase. Any other ideas?

Or to any ship possibly defending against Corran.

Or to Corran.

or Jake Farrel

You can pass it to the Crow.  The crow can pass it back next turn.

Intersting note, Garven can trigger his token pass on using R5-P9, even if he has no lost shields to recover...can anyone think of any uses for this? The only ones I can think of would be to a ship with R5-P9(which is of course impossible), to Corran, or to a Moldy Crow title HWK, as otherwise the passed token would just be removed in the end phase. Any other ideas?

Or to any ship possibly defending against Corran.

Or to Corran.

or Jake Farrel

You can pass it to the Crow.  The crow can pass it back next turn.
Ninja'd by what you quoted

Then why doesn't ten numb have an entry that says to look at autoblaster or page x?

They missed it? The wording on Ten and Autoblaster are pretty close to the same. So it would be a really massive reach to say the new rules apply to Autoblaster and not Ten.

In fact, I don't think there's any way you could reasonably say the dice results rule doesn't apply to Ten, the only difference between him and Autoblaster is it's a <hit> vs <crit>. The Dice Results are a rule and not just a FAQ entry, so it has to apply to all situations and not just ones mentioned in the FAQ.

Edited by VanorDM

Because it doesn't really need it?

The clarification for Push the Limit affects Dauntless as well, but Dauntless doesn't get a "See Push the Limit" the way Expert Handling does.  There are any number of cases where a ruling for one ability acts as precedent for others without requiring re-stating an FAQ entry for every single place it applies.

They missed it? The wording on Ten and Autoblaster are pretty close to the same. So it would be a really massive reach to say the new rules apply to Autoblaster and not Ten.

In fact, I don't think there's any way you could reasonably say the dice results rule doesn't apply to Ten, the only difference between him and Autoblaster is it's a <hit> vs <crit>. The Dice Results are a rule and not just a FAQ entry, so it has to apply to all situations and not just ones mentioned in the FAQ.

They specifically call out Autoblasters in this FAQ because they reversed what had previously been in the FAQ. The last version of the FAQ has this entry for Autoblasters:

"AUTOBLASTER The defender can cancel results with evade tokens when attacked with Autoblaster."

The do not need an entry for Ten because there is nothing in an earlier FAQ that contradicts the rule clarification regarding results that they've made.

To sum up:

- Evade tokens now count as dice results, so Autoblaster and Ten Numb abilities change

- Agility reducers still apply to keep the decimator at or below zero even when multiple combination of bonuses or penalties are applied.

- Proximity mines now detonate if under a base at the start. User gets choice if multiple opponents caught in it.

- A ship is friendly to itself (now in FAQ)

- Stay on Target will always be red

- Nesting of actions is defined in PTL

- A ship is range 1 to itself

- Fields and asteroids overlapped now opponent gets to choose one effect (not both) for ship to suffer

Interesting update.

I don't think people are reading the Autoblaster change correctly. The change is that "defense dice" is now implicitly defined to mean "dice results". I think evade tokens have always added " dice results ".

Edited by kraedin