Sign in to follow this  
vtarin

What about a pilot cards only expansion?

Hi people,

I was wondering what would be your response to a pilot cards only expansion, covering either imperial or rebel ships.

I think that it would sell super-good, and give some ships a bit of fresh air...

This is one of the solutions I proposed in a recent thread on what we would like to see for new ships.  I don't think we need anymore ships.  I think we need OPTIONS for the ships we already have.

Oneway:  Here's a specific reason for you:  I only like Classic Wars.  I despise the EU.  My opinion is not uncommon among fans.  If they don't produce pilot cards, I'm frankly not buying anymore.  I have little interest in EU stuff.  So, if there are any marketers listening, they need to understand that many Star Wars fans are classic-oriented and hate the EU.  If their objective is to keep the game going and sell more stuff, pilot cards and base packs may be the only thing that would keep some players buying.

That said, I think that the multi-utility concept of already purchased Y-wings potentially be useable for Scum and vice versa was a good idea.

No, you misunderstand.. I wouldn't mind it... but they make more money selling ships... not cards.. and like I said they have said they won't do it..

With recent developments that may change.. but I'm not holding my breath..

Also... why the EU hate.. it adds more ships and diversity to the game. To shut it out deprives you of new ships and upgrades..

But to each their own..

Edited by oneway

Wings of War used to sell card-only expansions.  Those sold reasonably well.  There comes a time when you no longer need another model, but would like more pilots and upgrades.  I would definitely pick up some Imperial expansions.

I've done repaints for Wings of War. I also know that the cards are fun, but everyone wants the planes. Right now they are repainting them and the game is alive and well.

Lookni understand we all want this card only product...and this idea has been beaten to death a hundred times.. I was just informing the OP that the company has said no to this idea...

But please... go on about it.. who knows maybe they'll change their minds... but I'm not sure they will, as I said before.. when they can sell a new X wing with a pretty paint job and we all jump to buy it...

As much as some dislike the EU, it looks like that is the trend.. like it or not, you either enjoy the new ships and cards, or let the game stagnate... you dont become the best game by stagnating...

Acs sets seem the only way we'll get new cards...

This is one of the solutions I proposed in a recent thread on what we would like to see for new ships.  I don't think we need anymore ships.  I think we need OPTIONS for the ships we already have.

Oneway:  Here's a specific reason for you:  I only like Classic Wars.  I despise the EU.  My opinion is not uncommon among fans.  If they don't produce pilot cards, I'm frankly not buying anymore.  I have little interest in EU stuff.  So, if there are any marketers listening, they need to understand that many Star Wars fans are classic-oriented and hate the EU.  If their objective is to keep the game going and sell more stuff, pilot cards and base packs may be the only thing that would keep some players buying.

That said, I think that the multi-utility concept of already purchased Y-wings potentially be useable for Scum and vice versa was a good idea.

No, that's not true, most fans don't despise EU, not a lot of fans are actually lovers of it, but most fans are ok with stuff from it. Please don't speak for a group you don't represent. We already have basically all the pilots from movies, and there are still a few good EU ships they can squeeze in before new movie content.

Look at the size of a Netrunner Data Pack. That's how many cards need to be in there to make a card pack viable. You'd have to take every pilot card in the game so far to make enough cards. The sheer number of pilots they'd have to design and playtest...

They do acepacks for a reason.

Oneway:  Here's a specific reason for you:  I only like Classic Wars.  I despise the EU.

You know what the EU is, right? All the stuff that isn't the films themselves. All of it. If you put the entire EU in the "filth" category you must be running a very narrow selection of pilots.

If we cut out everything EU or of EU origin, what's left? I include EU origin because I'm assuming you're an intelligent person with reasoning behind this, that you have reasons beyond "it's EU" and that  something being cameoed into a film doesn't magically remove it's EU "taint".

Anything crossed out is EU and therefore you never fly it because you hate it, yes? Killed anything that's Prequel too (Captain Kagi.)

X-wing: Rookie Pilot, Red Sqd Pilot, Luke, Wedge, Hobbie, Tarn, Wes, Biggs, Garven, Porkins
Y-wing: Gold Sqd Pilot, Grey Sqd Pilot, Dutch Vander, Horton Salm
YT-1300: Outer Rim Smuggler, Chewbacca, Lando, Han
A-wing: Prototype Pilot, Green Sqd Pilot, Arvel, Gemmer, Jake, Tycho
B-wing: Blue Sqd Pilot, Dagger Sqd Pilot, Nera Dantels, Ibtisam, Keyan Farlander, Ten Numb
HWK-290: Rebel Operative, Kyle Katarn, Roark Garnet, Jan Ors
E-wing: Knave Sqd Pilot, Blackmoon Sqd Pilot, Etahn'Abaht, Corran Horn
Z-95 Headhunter: Bandit Sqd Pilot, Tala Sqd Pilot, Lt Blount, Airen Cracken
YT-2400: Wild Space Fringer, Eaden Vrill, Leebo, Dash Rendar

TIE fighter: Academy Pilot, Obsidian Sqd Pilot, Black Sqd Pilot, Winged Gundark, Night Beast, Backstabber, Dark Curse, Mithel, Howlrunner
TIE advanced: Tempest Sqd Pilot, Storm Sqd Pilot, Maarek Steele, Darth Vader
Firespray-31: Bounty Hunter, Krassis, Kath, Boba
TIE interceptor: Alpha Sqd Pilot, Avenger Sqd Pilot, Saber Sqd Pilot, Royal Guard Pilot, Fel's Wrath, Lieutenant Lorrir, Kir Kanos, Tetran Cowall, Turr Phennir, Carnor Jax, Soontir Fel
TIE bomber: Scimitar Sqd Pilot, Gamma Sqd Pilot, Jonus, Rhymer
Lambda-class Shuttle: Omicron Grp Pilot, Captain Yorr, Colonel Jendon, Captain Kagi
TIE defender: Delta Sqd Pilot, Onyx Sqd Pilot, Vessery, Brath
TIE phantom: Sigma Sqd Pilot, Shadow Sqd Pilot, Echo, Whisper

VT-49 Decimator: Patrol Leader, Oicunn, Kenkirk, Chiraneau

Given how ridiculous that would be, I'm assuming there's more to it than "all EU is bad."

Edited by TIE Pilot

Personally i'd like to see a 'remounts'  pack.

Essentially a pack of pilot cards and matching chits that put pilots known to fly more than one sort of ship in the seat of the others.

So in the pack you might get Keyan Farlander cards and chit bases for him in an A wing, X wing and his famed Y wing

Likewise Luke gets his E wing

Be nice to see Howlrunner get the option of an Interceptor or a Defender

Airan Cracken as gunner crew for the falcon (got a feeling this might already exist) as it makes more sense than a general in a z95.

etc etc.

If the past model has been any sign of FFG product policy, I can not see a 'pilot only' pack being produced.  We will most likely see expansions that enhance existing ships through things like Aces (Rebel and Imperial) and Epic combo packs like the Transport that brough us Rouge Squadron. 

Look at the size of a Netrunner Data Pack. That's how many cards need to be in there to make a card pack viable. You'd have to take every pilot card in the game so far to make enough cards. The sheer number of pilots they'd have to design and playtest...

They do acepacks for a reason.

Oneway:  Here's a specific reason for you:  I only like Classic Wars.  I despise the EU.

You know what the EU is, right? All the stuff that isn't the films themselves. All of it. If you put the entire EU in the "filth" category you must be running a very narrow selection of pilots.

If we cut out everything EU or of EU origin, what's left? I include EU origin because I'm assuming you're an intelligent person with reasoning behind this, that you have reasons beyond "it's EU" and that  something being cameoed into a film doesn't magically remove it's EU "taint".

Anything crossed out is EU and therefore you never fly it because you hate it, yes? Killed anything that's Prequel too (Captain Kagi.)

X-wing: Rookie Pilot, Red Sqd Pilot, Luke, Wedge, Hobbie, Tarn, Wes, Biggs, Garven, Porkins

Y-wing: Gold Sqd Pilot, Grey Sqd Pilot, Dutch Vander, Horton Salm

YT-1300: Outer Rim Smuggler, Chewbacca, Lando, Han

A-wing: Prototype Pilot, Green Sqd Pilot, Arvel, Gemmer, Jake, Tycho

B-wing: Blue Sqd Pilot, Dagger Sqd Pilot, Nera Dantels, Ibtisam, Keyan Farlander, Ten Numb

HWK-290: Rebel Operative, Kyle Katarn, Roark Garnet, Jan Ors

E-wing: Knave Sqd Pilot, Blackmoon Sqd Pilot, Etahn'Abaht, Corran Horn

Z-95 Headhunter: Bandit Sqd Pilot, Tala Sqd Pilot, Lt Blount, Airen Cracken

YT-2400: Wild Space Fringer, Eaden Vrill, Leebo, Dash Rendar

TIE fighter: Academy Pilot, Obsidian Sqd Pilot, Black Sqd Pilot, Winged Gundark, Night Beast, Backstabber, Dark Curse, Mithel, Howlrunner

TIE advanced: Tempest Sqd Pilot, Storm Sqd Pilot, Maarek Steele, Darth Vader

Firespray-31: Bounty Hunter, Krassis, Kath, Boba

TIE interceptor: Alpha Sqd Pilot, Avenger Sqd Pilot, Saber Sqd Pilot, Royal Guard Pilot, Fel's Wrath, Lieutenant Lorrir, Kir Kanos, Tetran Cowall, Turr Phennir, Carnor Jax, Soontir Fel

TIE bomber: Scimitar Sqd Pilot, Gamma Sqd Pilot, Jonus, Rhymer

Lambda-class Shuttle: Omicron Grp Pilot, Captain Yorr, Colonel Jendon, Captain Kagi

TIE defender: Delta Sqd Pilot, Onyx Sqd Pilot, Vessery, Brath

TIE phantom: Sigma Sqd Pilot, Shadow Sqd Pilot, Echo, Whisper

VT-49 Decimator: Patrol Leader, Oicunn, Kenkirk, Chiraneau

Given how ridiculous that would be, I'm assuming there's more to it than "all EU is bad."

Even some of the items on this list aren't super strictly cannon. When in the movies were any TIE fighter pilots named except for Darth Vader? We need the EU to flesh out those details.

I agree with the overall sentiment though - I would like the waves to at least slow down as I would prefer to get some general upgrade options and the ability to run a large TIE or X-Wing fleet (looking at you supply chain) than dealing with wave after wave of new ships that are relatively unknown.

Edited by nathankc

*very* few people are named in the OT

Like you say vader doesnt name the pilots, he says 'you two, come with me'.

Is gaven dreis named in the actual film?

Wedge and Biggs are, Porkins is etc but some people like Lukes gunner Dak in the hoth battle only get their first name mentioned.

The tantive IV isnt called that in the film.

When i think people say they 'hate the EU', i think they mean the really off the wall stuff.   I used to be in that camp myslef but to be honest it has grown on me.

I think withouth EU content the game would have been dead in the water (as far as new releases go) after the Awing/Bwing wave.

There are not actually that many ships in the OT you can put on the scale the game is in.

Edited by Gadge

So, if there are any marketers listening, they need to understand that many Star Wars fans are classic-oriented and hate the EU.

Many? How exactly do you define that? As a % or as a raw number? Because as a % it's misleading at best. They have sold a ton of EU based product already so it seems the vast majority of players are fine with buying EU stuff.

I don't mean stuff that isn't strictly speaking movie canon, like most of the pilots. But stuff like the E-Wing and HWK-290, completely and totally EU product that has sold quite well.

As a raw number, clearly that number is too small for them to change their plans...

Myself I'd love to see some sort of pilot/upgrade packs being sold, purely because then I could maybe get a few more of the upgrades I want for less. More HLC's and gunners for example, I just can't justify spending $30 for a 2nd Firespray I may never use just for the cards.

That doesn't mean however it's a good idea, because the price point at which pilot cards make enough money, they may very well be priced out of the market. Because it's not just the price of the cards and some profit, it's the potential loss of sales of the ships that you have to factor in.

One way that could be done is random boosters, but I can tell you right now that those are unlikely to sell well in this market, and seems to go against the basic ideas of how FFG wants to run their company.

There are not actually that many ships in the OT you can put on the scale the game is in.

If we were to go with OT Movie only. Wave 3 would of been the end of the game, and had only 3 ships in it. Also we'd lose most of the named pilots because most of them are never named in the movies.

For example we'd lose pretty much every named imperial pilot other then Vader and Boba.

That also means no more aces packs as well.

So, if there are any marketers listening, they need to understand that many Star Wars fans are classic-oriented and hate the EU.

Many? How exactly do you define that? As a % or as a raw number? 

Neither you nor I know the exact answer to that.  When I say many, I mean that I think it is likely enough to be significant.  You don't think that there are enough fans who are pissed off enough at Eps I through III that they don't account for a sizable portion of fans?  When I talk Classic, I mean icons, not the strictest sense of the term.  I could care less what the pilots are named, but since the A wings are in the original trilogy, I want to play them.  My preference may not be any more valid than someone who likes the EU stuff, but I AM a demographic, just like everyone here fits a demographic.

You're basically saying that you're ok with people who only like classic leaving the game.  My point is that you should be concerned about ANYONE leaving the game, whether they match your preferences or not.

I'm not saying they should ignore the EU and only produce classic.  I'm saying that they should keep BOTH classic and EU viable so that multiple demographics will keep purchasing the game.

Edited by klecser

If we were to go with OT Movie only. Wave 3 would of been the end of the game, and had only 3 ships in it. Also we'd lose most of the named pilots because most of them are never named in the movies.

For example we'd lose pretty much every named imperial pilot other then Vader and Boba.

That also means no more aces packs as well.

Yeah that was exactly my point...

I'd like an expansion pack that contains:

New damage deck cards required for tournament play.

New pilot cards (and ship tokens).

New upgrade cards (and maybe some sought-after older ones).

Range 1 and 2 rulers.

New obstacle tokens.

Tokens for elite talent and astromech actions that have a delayed effect.

Placeholder tokens (corners) when it's necessary to move a ship in order to move another ship through it.

Edited by DagobahDave