Sign in to follow this  
gundamv

Is Rebel Aces worth getting?

Is Rebel Aces worth getting?  That is, am I going to get a lot of value out of it that I cannot already get from the non-epic ship sets released prior to Rebel Aces?

For example, I think that the Z-95 is worth getting because I use it in many builds as a cheap filler piece that could nonetheless soak up some damage and deal some damage.  The next cheapest Rebel piece is the A-Wing, which IIRC is quite a few points higher than the cheapest Z-95.

On the other hand, I have doubts about whether Imperial Aces is worth getting.  The TIE Interceptor sculpts were cool, but I already have a regular TIE Interceptor.  I am not too big on the fluff, so names like Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax are not that meaningful to me.  Most of the pilots were decent, but not spectacularly good (Carnor Jax comes close).  One of the main draws of the set was Push the Limit, but that was already available in the regular A-Wing pack.

Being more a "Collector" than an "Player" yes, at least 1.

(They sit on the shelf more than on the playing field)

:::Edit:::

On a more game related note, it opens a lot of doors to B-Wings and A-Wings. The Double EPT, the +Crew, and then there's the pilots some which out perform the standard builds for the ships, and others with a fun gimmick that adds a slight element of surprise or an "I should be extra wary" towards the ship.

Also the alternate paint schemes means you don't really need the numbers for ship identification when using pairs.

Edited by IvlerIin

I am more of a casual player myself.  That is, I primarily play the game with friends now.  So, I just want ships that are interesting to use and at least decent in games.  It would be great if a ship is also good in the meta, but that is not 100% necessary.

... if you weren't a nice guy I'd say:  "What kind of dumb question is that?"

Yes.  The A isn't competitive right now.  Its for fun, casual. Sounds like you.  

Cmon.  it has a 5 STRAIGHT GREEN.  If thats not fun I don't know what to tell you.  Putting a Green with Refit, Test Pilot, PTL and Outmaneuver is just fun.  Theyre good flankers, or good blockers at PS1.  at 15 points you cant really go wrong.   At best you're just taking a Z with a hull relatively.  It comes with boost to get into 1 range more often and last longer too!  

2 Proton Rockets are great for hilarious games.  Havoc.  And Tie Advanced!  

B/E2 mod is great for putting Jan Ors on a B.  Having another B is always good. 

Keyan is absolutely amazing.  Keyan Opportunist and HLC.  Boom, 5 dice TL + F on a regular basis.  Average damage is 4.6875.  

Nera is really good as a Phantom hunter.  Also really fun to strap a Torp to her and unleash it anywhere.  

APT anyone?  Seriously.  What could be more casually fun?  

Also, they look good. Like, better than the normal A and B.  

Can I sell you a bridge yet?  

On a more game related note, it opens a lot of doors to B-Wings and A-Wings. The Double EPT, the +Crew, and then there's the pilots some which out perform the standard builds for the ships, and others with a fun gimmick that adds a slight element of surprise or an "I should be extra wary" towards the ship.

Also the alternate paint schemes means you don't really need the numbers for ship identification when using pairs.

numbers should still be included if you are using identical non-unique pilots. Just because the models are painted different doesn't mean the pilot cards have alternative paint scheme. There can still be a mix up on what pilot has no shields.

numbers should still be included if you are using identical non-unique pilots. Just because the models are painted different doesn't mean the pilot cards have alternative paint scheme. There can still be a mix up on what pilot has no shields.

Sorry wasn't totally clear. I was thinking along the lines so sticking the number on the model. Pilot cards should still be numbered/marked 

But yes, completely identical pilots you should still use the numbers. That would be one of the exceptions where you'd want to mark both.

you cant fly Tie Advanced with out Proton Rockets

you also need 3 Phantoms to put 3 Tactacians on the Corvette and Deicmator

2 Rebel aces and 5 defenders so you can have 5 GSP with Predator 

Enhanced Scopes on a OGP with APL

Transport and 2 E wings so you can run 5 Ywings with Flechette

then wait till most wanted comes out you will need 4 of them to runs this list

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Binayre Pirate (12)
Dead Man's Switch (2)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

:D  :P  ;)  :)

anyone know how i can buy FFG stocks?

anyone know how i can buy FFG stocks?

FFG is a privately held company, so you can't buy stock in them at all.

@gundamv: Yes. Every new pilot and upgrade in Rebel Aces is worth having, even if you're just a casual player.

(I'd say Imperial Aces is worth it, too: the generic Royal Guard Pilot, Tetran Cowall, and Carnor Jax are all very good, and the Royal Guard TIE title makes a big difference in their survivability. )

I love A wings (even if they are too big * ) and i was really miffed when they just couldnt hack it in games until now.

Rebel Aces not only makes them more viable but also more fun.

I also never *really* dug b wings  but im loving them now.

The repaints are also characterful and i prefer the dagger squadron b wing to the regualar one.

Proton rockets... casually glancing through the cards after opening i thought.. 'those are toss'... then i read the bit where you add your agility up to THREE extra die and thoght... yeah might need some of those.

Until they came out i never ever wanted to put ordnance on an A wing.

If you dont have a lot of a wings and b wings anyway worth getting  rather than the standard expansions (only tycho would sell the basic expansion to me now i think, i'm stuggling to think of any thing in the b wing expansion i'd miss if i only had 'aces')  if you do already ahve a lot you clearly like a and b wings so do them a favour with some really fun upgrades and make a flight leader out of the repaint!

* note the 'too big' thing is a joke... i dont care, its just a running in-joke with a few people before anyone starts defending scale :)    just dont ok... if that line annoys you it wasnt meant for you.

Edited by Gadge

Yes.  The A isn't competitive right now.  Its for fun, casual. Sounds like you.  

The Bandit Z-95 at 12 points was one of the driving factors of our current meta. A 15 point Prototype is by far a better blocker and points filler. It survives longer with both the evade and extra green die. It is much faster with a 5 straight and a boost, it has hard 1 turns and green hard 2 turns, and it has the mother of all k-turns, the 5k. 

Chewbaca + PtL + Jan Ors + C3P0 + Engine Upgrade + MF

Prototype + refit

Prototype + refit

Prototype + refit

Thats a competitive list that uses Rebel Aces. :)

In case you did not realise it, Jan Ors is the best card in the Rebel Aces set. With it you can build the following:

Lando + PtL + Nien Nunb + Jan Ors + MF

Chewbaca + DtF + Recon Spec + C3P0

Each turn, both falcons can get focus and evades, plus Chewie has 3P0 and can pull crits from Lando, who hands Chewie target locks. Its brutally effective (I have lost to it twice now). 

Edited by Zoccola

Rebel aces is a pretty useful release. It literally breathes new life onto A-wings and B-Wings, giving them access to interesting upgrades sinergies. (double talents on A-wings, Crew on B-wings).

Imperial aces is less appealing, IMO. It feels like it was intended as a bandaid to interceptors, but in the end, it didn't manage to accomplish its purpose. Most of the pilot's abilities are weak, and are rarely used (or directly unseen). The double-modification is nice... but ATM only a few modifications are usable by interceptors. Targeting computer is even less worthy with the appearance of 'Predator'. If you don't play imperials regularly, or you don't use interceptors at all, I wouldn't consider it a worthy expansion, even with the extra "Push the limit" cards.

Rebel aces is a pretty useful release. It literally breathes new life onto A-wings and B-Wings, giving them access to interesting upgrades sinergies. (double talents on A-wings, Crew on B-wings).

Imperial aces is less appealing, IMO. It feels like it was intended as a bandaid to interceptors, but in the end, it didn't manage to accomplish its purpose. Most of the pilot's abilities are weak, and are rarely used (or directly unseen). The double-modification is nice... but ATM only a few modifications are usable by interceptors. Targeting computer is even less worthy with the appearance of 'Predator'. If you don't play imperials regularly, or you don't use interceptors at all, I wouldn't consider it a worthy expansion, even with the extra "Push the limit" cards.

Opportunist on Keyan, and Lorrir, and RGP are all good.

Rebel Aces is amazing. It adds Keyan. KEYAN!! (You probably don't even know who he is so this comment is pointless :D) My only complaint is that he is in a B-wing..... He always flew Ys......

well he was the only survivor of the first death star battle in a Y wing.

Given the B wing was the successor to the Y wing it sort of makes sense he's in one ?

Rebel Aces is amazing. It adds Keyan. KEYAN!! (You probably don't even know who he is so this comment is pointless :D) My only complaint is that he is in a B-wing..... He always flew Ys......

well he was the only survivor of the first death star battle in a Y wing.

Given the B wing was the successor to the Y wing it sort of makes sense he's in one ?

The thing is, he is from the X-wing game, and he loved Y-wings (just like Maarek Steele loves Advanceds), and he almost never flew B-wings, it's like putting Vader in a Defender just because it is the replacement of the Advanced.

I thought Vader *did* have a personal Tie Defender?

Nope, in Vader's time, only like 12 existed. And even if he did, he never flew one in any literature, it isn't his iconic ship. The same goes for Keyan and B-wings, Y-wings are his iconic ship.