Sign in to follow this  
Mikael Hasselstein

Motivations for leaving the game (for illiterates too)!

In response to this thread (Motivations for leaving the game), I think it might be nice to have a thread which is more inclusive and allows for multiple viewpoints other than the OP and people who might be able to answer its OP from a first-hand experience.

Also, I won't call you illiterate even if you are and/or decide to take the conversation on a tangent.

Yay! I wanted to comment in the other one, but wanted to respect the OPs request.

One thing I've seen in tabletop mini games, not just X-Wing is a weird policy of enforced expectations. Basically, wanting the game to be played a certain way, and getting angry/frustrated when people play it other ways, even within the rules. Actually, the best example I have of this is M:TGs EDH format. I've seen more then a few people quit due to this mindset.

I think X-Wing is healthy and growing and churn is to be expected with large gaming populations, due to all the reasons posted in that thread (even if I think some, like quitting over the current meta, are silly from my point of view).

I agree - the number of eBay postings is probably a sign of the game's success much more than it is a sign of failure. Again, (as illiterate me mentioned in the other thread) if we knew something about how quickly the eBay collections got bought up and at what price, we might know a little more about the state of the market.

Also, I do think that some people can get caught out by a particular situation where their life changes, but also where their community wasn't as supportive/interested as they estimated it would be.

I couldn't be happier in my local scene, where I can be assured of a sparring partner almost any civilized time that I want. Now, I've seen a few faces go, and other new ones appear. I'd say that the group is getting more regular, but that may just be a momentary appearance.

To be fair to the OP of the other thread, its nice to see someone running a classic message board thread.  The one where you ask for advice, expecting certain advice, get advice you don't want to hear, and then insult anyone who commented.  Classic.  I know there are some up-and-coming eight year old trolls that will learn a great deal from him.

Honestly I don't think there are that many people leaving. In fact, X-wing is second only to 40K when it comes to miniatures game popularity and it's getting closer. In any game that has lots of players there are going to be people leaving.

Edited by tiefanatic

honestly, i dont think there are mayn people who post regularly on this forum that are leaving.  so i think this is gonna be a thread of mostly hear say

True.  I think the best one could hope for is to catch someone on the way out, or thinking about leaving.  I don't check the boards for games I don't play.  But I did up until the point that I left, though.

To be fair to the OP of the other thread, its nice to see someone running a classic message board thread.  The one where you ask for advice, expecting certain advice, get advice you don't want to hear, and then insult anyone who commented.  Classic.  I know there are some up-and-coming eight year old trolls that will learn a great deal from him.

Someone to show them how trolling is done right and proactively by starting threads, and then badgering the respondents?

Second to 40K? I see far more xwing than I do GW anything. GW is becoming extinct.

As well it should.

I also keep hearing about Attack Wing, and some of my X-Wing pals do play it (I hear), but I haven't seen ANYONE play Attack Wing at my FLGSs. I have seen occasional W40K and WFB, though.

40k is gonna be around long past its best by date, largely due to the rabid nature they've inspired. They did a good job ingraining it in to folks, and we're only now starting to see some backlash.

Generally all I see played these days is Warmahordes and X-Wing, tho, outside of 40k.

The big ones at my LGS are (in to particular order): WFB, WH40K, Malifaux, Warmahordes, X-Wing, and Heroclix. There are also others on the side and a dedicated board game night. The WFB, X-Wing, and Malifaux players pretty much all play at least two of those three games. The 40k, Warmahordes, and Clix players all just stick with their one game. The 40K and Warmahordes players who do only stick to the one game also tend to have a pretty elite attitude about their game when compared to others (many of them wont even try another game), and trash talk other games frequently.

I've seen some people sell their collections.  In one instance, the guy was focused on playing WMH and found that he didn't really have the time for X-Wing so he sold his collection.  For others, it's the beginning of a family, or a desire to downsize the amount of gaming systems that they play and focus on.

And as others have said, if no one in the area plays, then there is little point in investing into the game.

Any game will lose some players for a variety of reasons like they get burnt out they don't have time they have kids and have to prioritize etc, same with MMOs.

We know GW is suffering badly because we have hard numbers from their financials, people sold their 40k armies even when the game was booming it means nothing except that guy wants some of his money back.

My experiences with gw have some similarity with spousal abuse in that I knew I was being treated like crap but really liked the universe and stayed with it, but finally my limit was reached and I broke the cycle.

FFG would have to make a real effort to alienate me the way GW has.

I've just had a look on the biggest auction site her in New Zealand, and the only X-Wing stuff for sale is from stores advertising there. No private collections in sight at all.

There may be collections popping up on e-bay from time to time, but I would hazard a guess that gamers buying new to get into it, would far outweigh gamers selling to get out of the game.

Second to 40K? I see far more xwing than I do GW anything. GW is becoming extinct.

I think that is largely based on what region you are in. Sure x-wing is growing a lot faster than 40k, but I have friends who say it still isn't popular in their area at all. And a lot of the people that play x-wing came to it from 40k, but still have their armies and still play warhammer also. So there isn't a dichotomy here.

Don't ask me to quote where I read it, but a few months ago I saw an article that rated X-Wing second only to 40K in the top 5 tabletop games. That was this year. Don't be surprised if next year it tops the list.

The last gaming convention I went to in Wellington, NZ, there were 6 players in the X-Wing comp, and 14-16 in the 40K comp. 40K is still popular with veteran gamers, but I see an increasingly high number of guys that are new to tabletop gaming starting with X-Wing, probably because everything you need is in the box or expansion and it doesn't need painting. Plus it's a nice quick format. This make X-Wing a serious attractive opponent to the likes of 40K, Warhammer and Warmachine, etc.

While some areas are certainly retaining 40k players it's pretty clear from the decline in profits that the bleed of players is increasing, going down 54% from one year to the next is a massive decline for such an established company.

something that happened to me in the 90's was, running low on cash and needed to pay bills.

had to sell all my battletech, all my EPIC 40k, all my palladium books, bloodbowl, dark future, most of my 40k stuff, D&D books, all my shotguns, space hulk and both expansions, pretty much all of my stuff. it sucked. stuff I collected since I was a kid I had to sell so my family could still live in our apartment.

but then I have gamed with some colledge kids who buy a lot of stuff, but didn't have the money so they charged it and need to sell to pay credit cards off.

According to the data, X-Wing has moved ahead of Warmachine and therefore making it the 2nd largest miniature wargame in all lands.

It'll never catch up to GW - it's too big, and I think if they did try to challenge the title directly, that's when problems will occur.

As players, we need to be able to think - if FFG said "To respect the game, and the intent on which it was founded, we are n o longer providing any expansion packs because it would taint the beautiful thing we have built, we will still be fully supporting it and providing material but no further expansions, etc, etc..." - would we as players think to ourselves - 'OK, I'll still be playing this game 5 years from now'.

My answer's 'Yes'. Might even be 'Hell yeah!'

It's true that 54% is a massive decline for GW, so where did it go? Meanwhile FFG are rubbing their hands together.

Coincidence? I think not.

I know that in our local area the pricing is a major factor in the decline of GW games. We've got club members having wagers with each other as to how many units they can paint within a given time frame without buying new figures to bolster the unit. From a 40K outsider's view, it's bizarre and amusing to watch.

Edited by Parravon