Sign in to follow this  
ghaerdon2

Money going to IA

Well I don't know about many of you but I will be spending far less on X Wing as my funds get diverted to Imperial Assault.

**** FFG but I only have so much fun money. I also made the decision not to support Armada for the same financial reasons. If I did, X Wing would suffer.

Anyone else feeling the same?

I'm in exactly the same boat. Still going to play x wing with less funds to spend on it. Going to hopefully "keep up" with IA and have no interest in armada.

Both Imperial Assault and Armada look interesting, but I doubt I'll be investing in them.  Scum & Villany is on the horizon, and I'm more interested in that (and seeing any news on Imperial/Scum Epic & future waves..)

My X-Wing plastic crack addiction is being funded by other games I'm dropping out of.  I must have spent a fair whack on X-Wing this year on not only the core set and expansions, but carry cases, gaming mats etc.  However, I've raised over £800 in sales of old/oop/unused GW stuff on eBay to at least part fund it.

It's been a wrench to get rid of my GW collections, but let's face it, it was sat in storage barely being looked at let alone used, so I may as well replace it with stuff that gets used much more often.

The thing about Imperial Assault is that you don't NEED the expansions. If you stick to the board game, you just need the base game, and then pick up the campaign expansions. I know, deep in my heart, that a Dark Force campaign is coming. Thus, FFG owns my soul...

You are correct.  You don't NEED the expansions.  As a long time Descent First and Second Edition player, however, I will tell you that having the expansions to those games (big box, small box, LT packs, etc.) add an enormous amount of flavor and replayability to the game.

As a professional poker player, my response is, I am all-in.

I am also very interested in Imperial Assault. It could quickly become a money pit though. I will continue X-Wing for sure, it's my main game. I will not get into Armada. I am considering stopping the SW LCG. Just not enough time/opportunities to play to justify the cost.

Edited by admat

At the moment I am planning on getting both games, I can make a can of beans last a week right?

Get the ones with sausages inside for your protein needs.

I misread this as "proton torpedo needs" and thought, "Yeah, sausage and beans can be a rather explosive combination."

I'm definitely going to be getting Imperial Assault. The figures and board pieces will be invaluable in creating RPG scenarios for me. Right now I have to build pretty much everything for Edge of the Empire that I don't already have as a starship model (though the X-wing minis are awesome for starfighter combat scenarios). But if I could get some good scale minis that not only look awesome but are meant for gameplay, I would be all over that. Especially the probot mini, because one of my players is an AI that uses a salvaged probe droid for her body.

Depends on how much it's like Descent.  I already own Descent and all of the expansions.  I'm not interested in another game that's just Descent with a few rule tweaks.

Also, I don't really like Descent very much (my gf does).  It's horribly unbalanced with two players, despite being advertised as supporting two players.  It takes a long time to setup and put away, and the game never makes me make any tough decisions or form any interesting strategies.   X-wing is less fiddly and more fun.

I'm interested in the IA skirmish game though, and I hope to see more previews about that.  

Depends on how much it's like Descent.  I already own Descent and all of the expansions.  I'm not interested in another game that's just Descent with a few rule tweaks.

Also, I don't really like Descent very much (my gf does).  It's horribly unbalanced with two players, despite being advertised as supporting two players.  It takes a long time to setup and put away, and the game never makes me make any tough decisions or form any interesting strategies.   X-wing is less fiddly and more fun.

I'm interested in the IA skirmish game though, and I hope to see more previews about that.

But does x-wing by you laid like suffering through descent does? Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, you think I like watching chick films as often as I do?

Well, I already like how 2 KO's, and a hero is gone, along with one KO eliminating the Hero's ability. So, so far, I do like the differences in IA compared to Descent, though I kind of prefer the class system in Descent.

Before I got into XMG, I was actually hoping for a capital ships game more than a fighter-scale game. So, then I invest all into X-Wing... and then they release Armada. You can read my enthusiasm in my posts when it was released. I can't say I have the same enthusiasm for IA. I guess I just don't think the ground combat is as compelling, and a ground combat dungeon crawl game even less.

Now, I've also tempered my enthusiasm for Armada. While I do have disposable income (though, I am married, so I can't get out of hand, and 'mistakes' have already been made), I don't think I'm going to get the same amount of enjoyment out of it. It would depend on the degree to which my local crowd embraces it.

How expensive is FFG gaming, really? It's not like your products disappear, or you pay a subscription fee every month. 

Miniature gaming isn't expensive. Can you really not afford $100-200 a month on games? It's the cost of a round of drinks at an expensive bar. Even at a stretch you can always buy from Miniaturemarket or Amazon if you want bargain-basement, local-shop destroying prices. 

I'm considering picking up IA. Not really sure why it would eat up money over the long term though; isn't it a one-time purchase of a board game?

The impression I got at gencon was that the initial game could be played basically as a Star Wars dungeon crawl board game, but that there were also rules covering how to turn it into a more standard skirmish wargame, which is going to continue to be supported with expansions.

Ah, ok. My only interest was in a dungeon-crawl type game, so the base game would be all that's necessary.

I think the core game has all you really need to get a lot of use without buying into the expansions. From what I've gathered the Ally and Villain expansion packs have a few thing to add to both the Campaign and the Skirmish game modes. For the Campaign, the minis replace tokens of the character involved, so if your side quest is to help Han Solo out, now you can use a mini of him rather than the core game's token. They also include a couple side quests to add to your campaign. In the Skirmish game, you can now use Han Solo in your squad, and he comes with some scenarios as well. It also has some upgrade cards for both game modes I think.

I myself have an issue with miniatures games that restrict movement to squares, hexagons, etc. I prefer open range of movement. Since my Hero Quest I played in my early teens, the only other miniatures game I really wanted with graphed movement was Blood Bowl. I love Blood Bowl. I would rather spend my money on more Star Wars RPG materials. I think I will be taking a pass on IA. Will be loading up on Armada however.

What, Heroquest in the SW universe? Pass.

I will check Armada out, but I don't think too many of my pals will want to play it. In any case, I'll probably buy it for the cool ships. I hope it does well. 

Miniature gaming isn't expensive. Can you really not afford $100-200 a month on games? It's the cost of a round of drinks at an expensive bar. Even at a stretch you can always buy from Miniaturemarket or Amazon if you want bargain-basement, local-shop destroying prices.

$100-200 a MONTH? Hell no, I can't afford that. Lol.

BTW, miniature market is a local shop, just not local to you and I.

$100-200 a MONTH? Hell no, I can't afford that. Lol.

BTW, miniature market is a local shop, just not local to you and I.

My weekly gaming budget use to in the $100's, but now I have 3 kids. Now, other than money to buy new X-Wing releases, all my money goes to diapers, food, education accounts, Star Wars toys, etc, etc...

I can't justify buying models and miniatures anymore, it would take me years just to catch up on all my unassembled and unpainted stuff as is. X-Wing and Armada are already painted, so it's justified. :-)

Miniature gaming is not expensive? Lol spoken like someone who has no concept of miniature gaming.

My buddy carries an extra rider on his home owners policy to cover his "inexpensive" miniatures. He had to increase that rider from $50 coverage to $80K. I'm not in the same league but I just paid over a grand in painting fees that did include the cost of the miniatures. My previous project was another $1500 in painting fees again not including the cost of the miniatures. Then there are the pro painted armies sitting in storage for games I haven't even played in the last 5 years.

No, miniature gaming is not expensive at all. Lol