Sign in to follow this  
TyrantAzreal

Just need some clarification

I'm building an Astropath for an upcoming game and I am gonna take Witness of Dusk as an alternate Rank 1. 

Looking at the Advancement for it, I saw that it has Unnatural Perception x2, is that multiplying my Perception Bonus by two, multiplying it by two twice, or just three times?

What it is is giving your character one allotment of Unnatural Perception trait. You have Perception (the attribute), and this Unnatual version increases the bonus to x2, so Perception 60 gets Per bonus 6, plus Unnatural Perception gets it to Perception bonus 12, and the little other things an Unnatural attribute trait gives you. And, if you got it again, it would fall off, to be replaced by Unn Per x3, and the bonus of 6 would become 18. Now, here's hoping I didn't just half-ass all of that. ;) OW and BC have different mechanics, and I have looked at those rules more recently, but the older version should be what's above.

Have you taken into account how the Dynasty is going to get more astropaths to work for it when you start a colony, get more ships, or even flesh out your own choir when your stating talents include Rival (Astropaths) and Enemy (Astropaths)?

I can't imagine a more debilitating Alternate Career Rank for an astropath to begin play with.

Have you taken into account how the Dynasty is going to get more astropaths to work for it when you start a colony, get more ships, or even flesh out your own choir when your stating talents include Rival (Astropaths) and Enemy (Astropaths)?

I can't imagine a more debilitating Alternate Career Rank for an astropath to begin play with.

Meh. He doesn't have to be part of the Astropathic Choir, so the other Astropaths don't need to actually work with him. 

My character, a Void-Master, has Enemy (Rogue Traders), and Enemy (Nobility), but that doesn't stop our crew from negotiating deals with NPC Rogue Traders, or having a player who is a Noble. They dislike HIM, as an individual, but not the entire Dynasty as a whole just because of him, as he isn't worth that kind of hatred when cash-money-thrones are being thrown around. Furthermore, with proper RP, the Rival and Enemy Talents can be mitigated on an individual basis. Our old Alzheimer-inflicted NPC Rogue Trader that we began with before we got an actual Rogue Trader player likes my character, and vice versa. The way my GM explained it pertaining to the relationship between them when I brought it up "Your character is a mad dog, but he's his mad dog". My character treats every other Rogue Trader like dirt, but not that one. As to our Noble character, through almost a year of play, they've grown from my character actively s******g on everything he ever does and actively competing with him over every tiny bit of overlap in their authority, to begrudgingly acknowledging him with respect on a very rare occasion. Of course, if I could go back, I would've made a character with less enemies and a friendlier disposition, it would've been less hassle to roleplay, but what is is.

What I'm getting at is that it isn't necessarily debilitating at all to play a character like that. Any Astropath he meets who doesn't know him is will likely hate him if they know what he actually is, but that doesn't mean they'll keep doing so after a long enough time around him, and enough effort to prove himself not worth the hatred. I've read the back-story on Witnesses of Dusk, they aren't so contemptible that other Astropaths would willingly forgo being space-millionaires to avoid working with him I think. Granted, they may charge more thrones if they have to be in the same room with him on a regular basis, but it's all the more excuse to get him out of the Choir Chamber and off with the player party on adventures instead.

Edited by Crow Eye

I have thought about getting more Astropaths and honestly, this is Rogue Trader. Money is a great motivator and I'm not the only Witness of Dusk in the entire Galaxy so finding others is a viable (if not much harder) option. I want to tell a story not super optimize my character and only be concerned with numbers.

I have thought about getting more Astropaths and honestly, this is Rogue Trader. Money is a great motivator and I'm not the only Witness of Dusk in the entire Galaxy so finding others is a viable (if not much harder) option. I want to tell a story not super optimize my character and only be concerned with numbers.

I suppose that's one way to look at it.  Another way to look at it would be to suggest that you were looking for a way to power-game from Rank 1 forward without any thought to the difficulties you'll bring to the other players around you or the GM, for that matter, because kewl is all that counts.

Of course, I wasn't going to bring that up but since you decided to open Pandora's Box I guess you win the prize.

I suppose that's one way to look at it.  Another way to look at it would be to suggest that you were looking for a way to power-game from Rank 1 forward without any thought to the difficulties you'll bring to the other players around you or the GM, for that matter, because kewl is all that counts.

Of course, I wasn't going to bring that up but since you decided to open Pandora's Box I guess you win the prize.

If my party has an issue with it then I'd change. It was brought up and no one seemed to care in the slightest. I like the flavor and it fits well with my Origin Path. Of course you can view what I'm doing however you want.