Sign in to follow this  
torquemadaza

Combining damage decks... is it okay?

It's recomended to keep a deck for each player. I know some others will chime in but overall it's best to keep the decks seperate and unmixed. It's mentioned in the rules as well, and for tourney play.

It's actually to your disadvantage to do so. Usually, when you draw two of any crit (other than Direct Hit), you know you cant' get that crit anymore. If you combine decks, that's no longer possible. The reverse is also true. Your opponent can no longer count on you not getting an innocuous crit after getting it twice.

It's also against the tournament rules. No, don't combine decks.

I got twice the cards in my Tantive expansion. Should I use both sets?

What do you mean by this? the Tantive box comes with 20 damage cards, 10 for the front section and 10 for the back section. Do you mean that you got 40 cards, 20 of each type by mistake or were you talking about the 2 decks of 10?

Whatever your answer, like the regular damage deck, they should not be combined. With the huge ships it is intended that each huge ship have separate damage decks (1 for the transport and 2 for the corvette). Even if you were playing with multiples of a given huge ship, 2 transports for example, they should have separate and distinct damage decks.

Yep, I got two of every card in my tantive expansion. Twice what the components list says I should have.

Thanks for the replies and the advice... I'll separate out the decks and keep separate decks for my huge ships.

In a "introductory learning" game when you only have the core set (and maybe an expansion pack or two) then sharing the damage deck is alright as long as it is the 31 point limit.

However in any standard match and competitive or official matches such as league or tournament play then it is strictly 1 single damage deck per player with no added or removed cards.

In epic or when you increase the point limit past 100 is the part that ventures into the cloudy area. Now huge ships have their own damage deck but only rebels have those ships, so as far as epic how many ships can you put in a 200 point match. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is a limit on the number of the same type of ships around 10 or 20. So say an imperial squadron with 10 tie fighters and 5 tie bombers will have a total of 66 hull. Way more hull then damage cards in a single damage deck. I can see the argument to shuffle in 2 damage decks for a player in games such as this but not everyone bought 2 core sets for themselves so you would have to go with component limitations on page 21.

So in "so many little ships" epic format, when a ship has been destroyed it is removed from the table and the reasonably minded person would remove all the damage cards from destroyed ship's pilot card and place them in a damage discard pile. When the damage deck is depleted and more damage cards are needed the damage discard pile would get shuffled and become the new damage deck. This could stave off running out of damage cards but still it is possible to run out completely in which you would have to result to component limitation rules. 

According to component limitation if you run out of damage cards all together you change all critical hit to hits and use a suitable marker (such as critical hit tokens) placing them on the pilot card in order to keep track of damage until cards are returned to the damage deck. Then you continue to play dealing damage as normal regardless of critical hits or not (be it past present or future).

So if say 200 point limit epic game and both players have no huge ships and 2 damage decks each I can see the possibility of combining the damage deck into one big damage deck as it really should not effect the game. However if there isn't a equilibrium due to huge ships or 1 player not having 2 sets worth of damage deck cards or (for some obscure reason) you want to play strictly by the rule book, component limitations is your best course of action.

Edited by Marinealver

So in "so many little ships" epic format, when a ship has been destroyed it is removed from the table and the reasonably minded person would remove all the damage cards from destroyed ship's pilot card and place them in a damage discard pile. When the damage deck is depleted and more damage cards are needed the damage discard pile would get shuffled and become the new damage deck.

The rulebook itself says to do this, even for regular 100 point games.

The rules also state what to do should you run out of card in your damage deck and there are no discard/removed cards to shuffle into a new deck.  Essentially, once the cards are all dealt you will just use some other token to represent damage cards and crits are treated with a token just like a normal hit.

If you are REALLY afraid of using all the cards in the damage deck you could, with a house rule, just use token to represent any unknown damage card from the beginning and only use actual damage cards when one would become known.  A card is 'known' if it is dealt face up, an effect calls for a card to be turned face up (card replaces tokens here), and if a card has ever been turned face up

For an example lets say a Falcon/Han suffers a [hit] [hit] [crit] after cancellations and when he has no shields.  You'd give it two tokens (representing face down cards) and a face-up card.  If that face-up card is one that can be turned face-down once that happens it remains as a card because everyone knows what it was.  If he gets hit by a Saboteur any one of the "face-down" cards could be selected and if a token is randomly selected you replace that token with a card from the deck and flip it over; after this there would be two known cards on the Falcon and one unknown token.

PS.  This method does not alter the chances of a given face up card appearing although not seeing the 'cards' from destroyed ships does mean a person knows less about what is still in the damage deck although that usually doesn't mean much.  While the odds do not change it is not recommended to use this although it is far better than mixing two damage decks.

Usually, when you draw two of any crit (other than Direct Hit), you know you cant' get that crit anymore. If you combine decks, that's no longer possible. The reverse is also true. Your opponent can no longer count on you not getting an innocuous crit after getting it twice.

Sounds like card counting to me lol

Usually, when you draw two of any crit (other than Direct Hit), you know you cant' get that crit anymore. If you combine decks, that's no longer possible. The reverse is also true. Your opponent can no longer count on you not getting an innocuous crit after getting it twice.

Sounds like card counting to me lol

It may be "card counting" but there is nothing illegal about doing that in this game.  One other thing is that once you've seen two of a given non-Direct HIt critical you'll know that if you see a third your opponent is cheating.  Ok, maybe just "accidentally" violating the rules but it could also be a deck stacked with the "best" criticals for him to suffer.