Sign in to follow this  
7theye

Cards or combos that don't interest or fit your play style

Are there powerful cards out there that you don't use either because you think they are over powered, not fun, or that don't fit your play style?

For me it's a few:

Outlands

Spirit glorfindel + LOV + asfaloth

Straight dwarf deck

Elrond + vilya + star gazer

Is quite interesting question…..

I also can agree with you about that combos but…..

If you wonna win solo Return to mirkwood Nightmare solo , what you will play? Only outlands for now can make it. Solo game or 2 players game or 3 players game???

Here is many small thinks about what you play and how many players you use. But sure all that combo very powerful!!!

Yes I don't disagree certain quests are beatable only using powerful cards. I would use them if I need to, I guess I'm talking more about prefer not to.

I've not tried RTMN solo lol. If Glaurung says it's hard not point for me to even try

The only deck I'll never play is Dain in multiplayer where there are multiple dwarf decks because it just feels like cheating.  Otherwise, I don't mind playing any deck every once in a while.  Elrond + Vilya + stargazer or Outlands is fun for a scenario or two, but then it gets old.  I try to avoid Spirit Glorfindel when possible, but I often need him to make secrecy decks work.

I suspect the Gandalf hero will fall in the same category with Elrond and Outlands.

I think that Dain, Spiritfindel,and Hirluin are just the heroes that some players love to hate. If you believe that other heroes (like Beregond, Legolas, Beravor, Boromir, Dunhere, Sam and even Denethor just to name a few) are not as powerful and even more in some certain circumstances you are probably playing another game. Just search a little and you will see that the most crazy deck's out there are without any of the "hated" trio ;)

I like to find subtle combos within the game, not the combos designers want me to do (like Dwarves, for example). Something like my Harbor Master deck which was initially a deck built to support his ability and ended up being a deck of a rapid ally playing :D Not a killer deck, but decent and really fun to play. And when Harbor Master actually gets out to do his part...

Only Dwarves and Outlands, oh and draw your whole deck in just a few turns decks.

Just one point I'd like to make about spirit Glorfindel that I haven't seen anyone make before. He has no beneficial ability or power to contribute to your line up and deck. Pretty much ALL heroes have one, many have fantastic ones that whole decks or at least parts of your deck build specifically around, some like Elrond even have multiple abilities! As well as this although he has great stats and low threat cost any game you don't draw light of valinor he gives you quite a bit of threat gain (if used to quest) which could potentially even lead to defeat... I can't think (at least not immediately) of any other player cards that do this other than doomed cards.

So basically to me hes more of a trade off than anything; much lower starting threat and great stats but no awesome hero ability and in fact a slightly detrimental one instead. All the other heroes I play with have very strong abilities that are frequently used to beat quests, Glorfindel just allows you to splash spirit and/or use a couple of more powerful heroes without having a starting threat of 30+.

The only thing I have an outright ban on is Outlands decks. I'm sick of the power Dwarf decks, so I don't generally use them, except to see how they'll do against the latest Nightmare scenario. I also don't like effects that are basically endless loops, so I've pretty much ignored the existence of Blue Mountain Trader for that reason.

Edited by Raven1015

Only combo's I rarely/never play: Outlands - Vilya - MP Songs - Hama/Thicket. 

Next to them my current Spirfindel use is approaching 0%. Whenever I want Glorfindel I stick with the Core one since he is a lot more interesting.

The only thing I have an outright ban on is Outlands decks. I'm sick of the power Dwarf decks, so I don't generally use them, except to see how they'll do against the latest Nightmare scenario. I also don't like effects that are basically endless loops, so I've pretty much ignored the existence of Blue Mountain Trader for that reason.

My playing group used a home rule, that the blue mountain is only 1x per round. We don't break any rules but it makes him fun to play and not OP in regard of resource management.