Sign in to follow this  
bubblepopmei

Ruthlessness and you MUST

I'm cooking up another version of my Kath and shuttles list and including Wave 5 cards.

Ruthlessness seems interesting, but how does it play out if there are no other ships at range one? Are you unable to attack at all?

Ruthlessness.png

Kath and Mara herd the cattle (99/100)
======================================
Firespray-31: Kath Scarlet (38 + 10)
+ Ruthlessness (3)
+ Mara Jade (3)
+ Engine Upgrade (4)
Lambda-class Shuttle: Omicron Group Pilot (21 + 3)
+ Fleet Officer (3)
Lambda-class Shuttle: Captain Yorr (24 + 3)
+ Rebel captive (3)

Edited by bubblepopmei

Ruthlessness wouldn't stop your attack. But you will need to be careful in regards to your own ships. If there are no enemy ships at range 1 you will have to choose one of your own that is not the original shooter.

Edited by TheGreedyMerchant

I haven't thought of this combo yet, but Ruthlessness + Assault Missiles deals 2 damage to all ships at R1 of the target? That would certaily discourage any Awing formation flying, not that Awings would ever want to fly in formation.

Ruthlessness is an amazing counter to Biggs... Guess FFG listen.

Another tool in the toolbox to punish formation flying.

I hate it when people say this.  90%+ of the lists you face will not have ruthlessness in it, and therefore, you may continue to fly in formation.  Formation flying takes skill and knowledge just like the rest of the game.  FFG is not trying to punish it, but rather trying to require the player to know how to fly in formation, but also how to ADAPT and fly out of formation when you encounter a list with Ruthlessness.

Something I've been wanting to try (I saw this on the Scarlet Cowgirl thread awhile back). Is Kath and Isard and a hull upgrade plus PTL. After the shields are gone you have a ship that could potentially take all three of its actions. Target lock, then when combat starts take your evade off Isard and then ptl and focus. You could even throw in engine upgrade and get rid of the HU to re-position yourself. The nice thing, even if you take a green and bump you could still take two actions by waiting until the opening of combat. Vulnerable to stress mechanics though.

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!37:18,-1,-1,102,-1:-1:6:;56:-1,-1,-1,45:-1:-1:;56:43,-1,-1,-1:-1:3:

Kath, a doomshuttle and a zoomshuttle.

I haven't thought of this combo yet, but Ruthlessness + Assault Missiles deals 2 damage to all ships at R1 of the target? That would certaily discourage any Awing formation flying, not that Awings would ever want to fly in formation.

I think Ruthlessness only gives extra damage to one ship within range 1.

Ruthlessness is an amazing counter to Biggs... Guess FFG listen.

Another tool in the toolbox to punish formation flying.

I hate it when people say this.  90%+ of the lists you face will not have ruthlessness in it, and therefore, you may continue to fly in formation.  Formation flying takes skill and knowledge just like the rest of the game.  FFG is not trying to punish it, but rather trying to require the player to know how to fly in formation, but also how to ADAPT and fly out of formation when you encounter a list with Ruthlessness.

I simply meant it was an option but hate away if you must.

Edit: You're right adapt is a better word for it than punish.

Edited by TheGreedyMerchant

Something I've been wanting to try (I saw this on the Scarlet Cowgirl thread awhile back). Is Kath and Isard and a hull upgrade plus PTL. After the shields are gone you have a ship that could potentially take all three of its actions. Target lock, then when combat starts take your evade off Isard and then ptl and focus. You could even throw in engine upgrade and get rid of the HU to re-position yourself. The nice thing, even if you take a green and bump you could still take two actions by waiting until the opening of combat. Vulnerable to stress mechanics though.

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v3!s!37:18,-1,-1,102,-1:-1:6:;56:-1,-1,-1,45:-1:-1:;56:43,-1,-1,-1:-1:3:

I love the idea of adding an engine upgrade to Kath (with Isard and PtL) instead of the hull, because with EU you take the free evade action from Isard and then you can boost to safety after everyone else has finished moving. It could be an amazing endgame piece.

I love the idea of adding an engine upgrade to Kath (with Isard and PtL) instead of the hull, because with EU you take the free evade action from Isard and then you can boost to safety after everyone else has finished moving. It could be an amazing endgame piece.

I was thinking more along the lines of adjusting your firing arc to shoot phantoms but that certainly would work as well.

I was thinking more along the lines of adjusting your firing arc to shoot phantoms but that certainly would work as well.

True, it definitely works both ways... you just finished writing out my thought for me. I think my favorite part about it is that even if your opponent predicts your maneuver and gets you to bump, you can still get the evade and another action. 

The decimator. After everyone is placed, boost out of arc but maintain a shot with your turret. Hard to clear 16HP if you can't shoot it.

Ruthlessness only deals 1 point of damage to the additional ship. The effect does not repeat for every ship in range like the assault missile splash damage example. Ruthlessness will hit one of your ships if no enemy are in range. If there are no enemy or friendly ships in range for the extra damage, the attack still goes but there is no additional damage.

I hit my own phantom with ruthlessness used off the decimater. Imperial 2 ship build :)

You only pass the damage onto one ship, not all ships at range one.

Hey, at least you can't fry yourself. You're ruthless, not suicidal.

As befits a wave of large ships, wave 5 seems to include a lot of cards for 'antisocial' squads of two ships that fly pretty much solo - ruthlessness, lone wolf, etc, etc.

Really, really wanting to try a pair of decimators now.