Sign in to follow this  
Krylyyk

Star Wars Rebels sourcebook?

I was just curious if there were any plans to incorporate the new Star Wars Rebels series into the current RPG, perhaps in the form of a supplement or sourcebook?

Am I alone in not really wanting this to be a thing?

Maybe having bits of it show up in other source books, sure, but I feel like their time could be better utilized with other types supplements.

I'm not super opposed to the idea or anything, it just doesn't feel like it's the right for what the game is to me.

As the first major Lucasfilm move since FFG got the license it will be very telling to see what happens. When the company was still fully owned by Big G they really got into the whole multimedia event (Shadows of the Empire being the big kickoff, but later stuff like FU and TCW got the same treatment). So if we end up with a Dark Times or Rebels sourcebook then we'll know that LFL still considers it an important thing, if not, then it may be a solid visible sign of the Mouses stance on things of that nature....

You're not alone. The problem I see with a sourcebook for an ongoing TV series is that it can never contain all of the cool stuff from the show. For a movie or a novel, it's possible to include most of it. But as the TV series progresses, they need either to produce more sourcebooks or introduce cool elements in other, not specifically related sourcebooks--which is what they could do anyway. I think of the Saga Edition supplement for Clone Wars that doesn't contain all that much from the series.

-Nate

Yeah, I don't want to see them try some cross-media nonsense with the game(s), either. 

Speaking of books though, we're about to wrap our EotE campaign and Age of Rebellion is out (heck, F&D is out in beta), and I have yet to be able to get an EotE Smuggler sourcebook? Load of crap.

I was guessing that they were saving what they felt would be the most popular career books for last. Idea they very well might be doing that for EOE but given that Ace was the first AOR book I don't think they are following that plan with AOR.

I'd love a Rebels sourcebook down the line but it'd be pretty barebones right now.

I'd rather they do a Clone Wars one post-Force and Destiny. Pack it full of content that could work for any of the lines. Like, here's details about playing in the Republic, being a Jedi in that time, etc.

But it all depends on what they do when/if they renew the licence. Whether we'll see some "neutral" books for any line or everything will continue as it is now and be primarily for a single line like Edge, for instance. I'm really curious as although everything is made to be set in the same time period by default, FFG have said on podcasts that they do know and intend for players to be able to play in different time periods. So whether they actually support that or let it remain just something possible for players we'll have to wait and see.

What would be in this book?  A few pieces of gear, a couple of species, a ship or two, a handful of barely defined planets, and the character stats?  I haven't watched the show (something about needing a TV or something), but I did catch a few episodes while at a friend's, and there really doesn't seem to be anything new added, source book wise.  If the book had more than 20 pages, a how lot of the fluff and crunch would be created by the writers of the book, and not the writers of the show.

Side note: just realized that the fluff and crunch line is incredibly more fuzzy in Star Wars than the other games I play, due to the narrative style of the game.  This is shiny.  

You're not alone. The problem I see with a sourcebook for an ongoing TV series is that it can never contain all of the cool stuff from the show. For a movie or a novel, it's possible to include most of it. But as the TV series progresses, they need either to produce more sourcebooks or introduce cool elements in other, not specifically related sourcebooks--which is what they could do anyway. I think of the Saga Edition supplement for Clone Wars that doesn't contain all that much from the series.

-Nate

One way to handle a sourcebook for an ongoing tv series is to do it season by season. The old Stargate RPG did it that way and the Dr Who RPG is putting out sourcebooks for each doctor, which were seperate seasons for each.one.

What about instead of a full blown source book, something more like a promotional item? A few pages of fluff and stats on a free PDF. Zeb's species... the stock Ghost/Phantom... maybe the attachment system that allows you to combine 2 weapons (Zeb's carbine/fart-staff) a few words on dark times play, and a couple other odds and ends.

Would be a nice promotional bit to tie in Rebels in it's current form without needing the time, effort, and money of a full book release...

Just sharing, but I'm in the process of statting the Rebels crew, just for fun. For Zeb, I reskinned him from Wookiee stats minus the rage (because McQuarrie), and his bo-rifle is an electrostaff and blaster rifle or carbine. Went with Soldier:Commando (AoR) for the build.

Keep your crappy kid's show out of my grown-up RPG, please.

I might have the PCs meet the Rebels crew - while they're being brutally eviscerated and publically executed, just to show them what the Jedi do to apostates...

Keep your crappy kid's show out of my grown-up RPG, please.

I might have the PCs meet the Rebels crew - while they're being brutally eviscerated and publically executed, just to show them what the Jedi do to apostates...

You really don't like many of the more recent EU* characters do you?

*I know it's not really "EU" anymore I just can't think of a better term to use right now.

Nah, I hate Clown Wars and all that trite BS.

I'm old and crotchety; if that bothers you, ignore me.

'You kids today, get off my lawn, etc'

I will call it the EU, no matter how Lucas tries to rewrite his own history.  And the film I saw as a 7 year old will always simply be 'Star Wars' to me, not... whatever he decided to call it later.

I liked the early WEG EU.  The FFG game actually got me back into SW because of its focus on the classic stuff rather than the wretched rubbish of the last decade or so.

I got a feeling that FFG will be adding bits and pieces of Rebels in later sourcebooks rather than doing a single sourcebook based solely upon the series.  WotC tried the "single sourcebook" for TCW, only covering material from the first season as well as other EU-based material, and as the series carried on, there was a lot of material "missing" from what was meant to be the go-to sourcebook to running Clone Wars era campaigns in Saga Edition.

Some folks are like Maelora and simply don't care for what they see as a "kiddy 'toon."*  But there is still some decent material, such as new ships (the VCX-100, that Imperial Gozanti with externally-mounted TIE fighters), new weapons (bo-rifle, ion disruptor rifles), new species (Lasat), and even locations (Lothal, The Spire) that could be introduced and made use of in those folks' campaigns, since they can easily divorce said new material from it's source.

*Which always strikes me as odd given the original films really aren't all that much more "grown up," and for some new viewers that don't have 20+ years of attached nostalgia aren't even that entertaining; had one friend that upon viewing a New Hope thought Han was a sleazy dirtbag and opportunist, and as such only Luke actually deserved the medal at the end ceremony while also thinking Mark and Carrie had a lot better chemistry and that she never should have been made into Luke's sister.  Point is that the value of any Star Wars media is in the eye of the beholder; some folks prefer the "old stuff" and get crotchety in regards to the newer material, while some prefer the "new stuff" and wonder how anyone could like the older material.

I actually like the show for what it is (from the two episodes I've seen so far). Of course, since it is being marketed towards pre-teens/teens, it doesn't take itself too seriously...but then what Star Wars film truly has. 

The PCs in one of my campaigns are flying around in a VCX-100 right now, which they got a few months back...right about the time the early images of the show were being released....and they met a crotchety droid called chopper (and freed him) at the salvage/parts shop in Mos Shuuta (which they recently misplaced).

The fact that it is new official Star Wars content is what has me jazzed...and the fact that it is all being considered canon is another big deal to me. I won't have my PCs ever run into the crew of the Ghost, for all we know they eventually got captured, tortured and killed off by the Empire and are martyrs for the Rebellion. But the ship and droid were kind of neat easter eggs for my players...since they were interacting with them before most of them had even heard of the show...

At the very least, I would like to see official FFG stats for their ship, and maybe a little info on Ezra's planet when more has been revealed. As it is, we are adjusting floor plans of the ship to match images we've now seen in the show.

Edited by Brother Bart

Sensible and balanced, Donovan.

For what it's worth, I'm happy if it brings a new generation into Star Wars. That has to be good.

It's just not to my tastes personally and I don't think it will translate well to the FFG RPG in terms of theme or  visual style. (That said, I'm sure they could have proper realistic artwork and a less juvenile take on it, I'm open to persuasion).

Hell, they managed to make Centrepoint Station interesting for me and my group, anything's possible.

Little bits of it like species and gear turning up in other sourcebooks, then yeah, that's fine.

Actually Maelora, the first couple episodes have a very EotE feel to them, and the crew itself is not too far outside of what one might expect an EotE crew to be, albeit with a lot of XP under their collective belts (even Ezra, given what he's thus far been shown capable of doing in terms of the Force).  Heck, the first actual episode ("Droids in Distress") almost plays out like a heist adventure for the first half or so, with the crew taking a sketchy job simply because they need the money (Obligation triggered?) and doing a surprisingly good job of it.

While the plots of Rebels thus far aren't the most cerebral, frankly neither were the plots to any of the live-action movies, including the original trilogy, with those movies only being made because Lucas couldn't get the rights to do a Flash Gordon film like he initially wanted.  Even ESB was fairly simple in terms of plot, with the characterization being the thing that made it really stand out from ANH and RotJ, though having the Empire generally win probably helped as well.

[...] Heck, the first actual episode ("Droids in Distress") almost plays out like a heist adventure for the first half or so, with the crew taking a sketchy job simply because they need the money (Obligation triggered?) and doing a surprisingly good job of it. [...]

Since we're on the subject ;)  this was something I really liked.

I loved the fact that once they found out out they were selling disruptors, the former jedi was still pretty adamant about selling them off (as long as it wasn't to the empire). He also had no compunctions about selling of 3PO and R2D2.

Seeing a jedi on the edge is a very refreshing change of pace.

Fair points Donovan.  I don't think it's intrinsically bad and I'd certainly prefer today's kids watch Star Wars things over anime or Ben10 or Ponies or whatever else they're into.  If I was a kid, I'd likely enjoy it, it has a few female characters that my younger self might identify with.

But I hate the art style, find the characters too generic and would prefer FFG kept it out of the RPG. Personal taste I guess, and I'd sooner FFG didn't pander to whatever the marketing department of LucasArts is currently trying to sell.

Yes, the original SW was aimed at kids, and because I saw it as a kid I have very fond memories of it naturally. But I'd suggest that SW has grown a bit beyond that and incorporates a number of different genres now. The RPG feels like it's aimed at adults (or older kids) - there is little that's cutesy or cheesy in it.  And while I don't expect anything as unashamedly grindhouse as the game I run, it's nice to see a SW RPG that doesn't talk down to the players. Just my £2.

Edited by Maelora

Fair points Donovan.  I don't think it's intrinsically bad and I'd certainly prefer today's kids watch Star Wars things over anime or Ben10 or Ponies or whatever else they're into.  If I was a kid, I'd likely enjoy it, it has a few female characters that my younger self might identify with.

Forget kids. I certainly prefer that 30 year old men watch this over Ponies.

Another obligatory no vote for a Rebels sourcebook, because I feel that we neither need one nor could have one, for all of the reasons previously mentioned. I mean, Ezra's homeworker is cool, but what could possibly be written in a sourcebook, specific to a roleplaying game, that I can't get either by watching the series of reading Wookieepedia? And the ships with the exterior Tie fighters? K, that ship has Tie fighters on the exterior. Moving along, because that has absolutely no mechanical effect on the game... Even stats for the Lasat species are moot since the first main episode spells out that the Empire basically committed genocide.

I just don't feel like there is anything here that we can't handle already or that needs to be handled, aside from maybe the Ghost. And introducing a cross media tie in is just going to be a disaster, especially since the book will either be an incomplete shill or release so far after the fact that no one cares.

At this point, I'd agree that there's just not enough to make a book out of. However, including elements from the show in other appropriate sourcebooks would be a nice touch. Stats for the factory model VCX-100, the TIE Carrier, a race entry for the Lasat and the AB-75 bo-rifle... C1 model Astromechs and the energy slingshot, too. Slip in a reference or two in a book here and there, there's no reason to ignore the show when making material for the game, after all.

I've heard FFG has license issues with web-content, or I'd say just release Rebels content that way...