Sign in to follow this  
Modery

[Paintjob] N'dru Suhlak

After seeing the card at yesterday's preview, I just had to sit down today and try to paint one of my Z-95. Here's the result:

NDru-Suhlak-1.jpg

NDru-Suhlak-2.jpg

I know there are many, more skilled painters here, has anyone else done it yet?

And here's the corresponding card:

ndru-suhlak.png

I am getting some major Don Carnage Sky Pirate vibes from that thing.  Hopefully someone out there is old enough to remember Tailspin...

Does anyone know his species?

Edited by Bakura83

That looks freaking epic. Nicely done.

I have a friend who is a pro painter who owes me one, so I may have her do one up for me. It is just to amazing to not have on the field.

Edited by Damoel

After seeing the card at yesterday's preview, I just had to sit down today and try to paint one of my Z-95. Here's the result:

NDru-Suhlak-1.jpg

NDru-Suhlak-2.jpg

ndru-suhlak.png

I am getting some major Don Carnage Sky Pirate vibes from that thing.  Hopefully someone out there is old enough to remember Tailspin...

when was the last time you watched tailspin? was it recent enough to notice it's nearly blatant similarities to star wars?

NDru-Suhlak-1.jpg

NDru-Suhlak-2.jpg

ndru-suhlak.png

when was the last time you watched tailspin? was it recent enough to notice it's nearly blatant similarities to star wars?

Ironically I have been rewatching the Talespin DVDs just this week, so I was super stoked to see a reference.  And yes there are a lot of nods to Star Wars and many other classic cinema in it.  I was just telling my wife that Disney should make a live action version of Talespin.  That would be cool. Maybe.   :)  Anyway as far as the OP goes, I think you did a good job with the repaint.  Not super crisp, but a good attempt.  Well done.

Did a bit of research. Appears that N'dru Suhlak is human. Says so on the german Jedipedia as well as indicated by the vague description in the book 'Slave Ship' where he makes his first appearance.

It's been over 15 years - but I did show a still of it in a lecture I did in Kiev in February.  I was making a point about subtle stereotyping and propaganda in children's shows.  You have a beautiful, colourful, and diverse collection of creatures in Cape Suzette (the USA analogue), and the Russian analogue is a cold dreary land full of bumbling boars who all dress the same.  Most of them had never heard of it, and they found it really funny.

Ironically I have been rewatching the Talespin DVDs just this week, so I was super stoked to see a reference.  And yes there are a lot of nods to Star Wars and many other classic cinema in it.  I was just telling my wife that Disney should make a live action version of Talespin.  That would be cool. Maybe.   :)  Anyway as far as the OP goes, I think you did a good job with the repaint.  Not super crisp, but a good attempt.  Well done.

Funny you should mention a live action version, because I'm pretty sure the creators of Tailspin were probably big fans of:

5452.jpg

Did a bit of research. Appears that N'dru Suhlak is human. Says so on the german Jedipedia as well as indicated by the vague description in the book 'Slave Ship' where he makes his first appearance.

Thanks Sable.  You're a good egg.

Edited by Bakura83

I had no clue what you guys were talking about until I searched for TaleSpin - turns out I do know, just didn't know what it was. The show had a *slightly* longer name in Germany.... "Käpt’n Balu und seine tollkühne Crew"

I had no clue what you guys were talking about until I searched for TaleSpin - turns out I do know, just didn't know what it was. The show had a *slightly* longer name in Germany.... "Käpt’n Balu und seine tollkühne Crew"

Weird...

...german must have a stand in for "tailspin", i.e. what a plane does though, right?  

The Swedish name for Talespin was 'Luftens Hjältar' which translates to 'Heroes of the Sky' or 'Skyheroes'. Certainly not as good as Talespin but better than 'Captain Baloo and his crazy crew' or whatever that last german word means.

Very good run at it. Any tips on how to paint something so detailed so small? I've been trying to think of a way to get it that small and a bit more crisp. I tried to do a checker pattern on an x-wing and it turned out quite messy. All i've come up with is using an exacto knife and some masking tape to create something like a stencil.

The way to do it is not painting it on the mini, but doing it on the computer, print it on decal paper on your ink jet and the apply to the mini. I have done it for many of my mini for wings of war biplanes. It look great.

The way to do it is not painting it on the mini, but doing it on the computer, print it on decal paper on your ink jet and the apply to the mini. I have done it for many of my mini for wings of war biplanes. It look great.

I've heard of that, but it sounds a bit expensive and excessive. Can you speak to cost and how reusable a sheet is? I feel like using a whole sheet for a small Z95 is bonkers.