Sign in to follow this  
Hutton1670

Combat actions

I'm still a bit fuzzy on this. Do combat actions take place -before- attacks are assigned, or between attacks? The flow chart seems a bit vague to me. Thanks.

Combat actions can be taken during any action window in the Combat Phase.  Basically, anywhere in the flowcharts on pg 22 of the RRG that it says "ACTION WINDOW" is a place it can be used (and also the ACTION WINDOWS marked on pg 21 that are inside of the combat phase but not during a battle).

So, to clarify, can combat actions be used like interrupts?

For example, in the first game I played:

Opponent has the initiative.

We enter the Ranged Combat phase and he selects his unit to attack, I use the Chaos "Pay X to deal X damage" card, killing his ranged unit before it deals damage.

Is that valid, or should I have used my card before Ranged Combat started?

Can I even do that if I don't have the initiative?

Edited by Deathlyphil

Interrupts and actions are completely separate things and you'll need to bone up on them in the RRG as they're a key part of the game. And the battle flowcharts pg 22.

An action can be done in any action window. There's an action window before and after every combat turn. Both players can do actions in any given action window, regardless of whose turn it is to do the next attack and who has initiative.

In your example, you can do your action in the action window BEFORE the opponent starts his combat turn. But once he's started his combat turn (ie declared his attacker), no further actions can be taken until the combat turn is fully resolved. Then, another action window opens.

Unless he only has one ready unit left, you won't know who his next attacker will be when the action window is open.

Edited by PBrennan

Thanks. I thought I'd got that wrong. Like I said, first game, and I haven't really gotten in to a CCG/LCG properly.... in at least 13 years.

Edit - As you said on the other post, I definitely need to take a closer look at the rules. Need to play more games too, I find that's the fastest way of learning.

Edited by Deathlyphil

No probs. We all appreciate that 48 pages of rules is not an auto, first read pick up :-)

You may wish to check out the "Newbie Introduction" thread pinned at the top of the cardgamedb rules forum. That might help you get up to speed faster.