Sign in to follow this  
RITBeast

Anyone teach as a cylon?

The game is finally shipping to my house and one of my main concerns is that I will be a cylon on my "teaching play" and my group will feel doubly betrayed and not want to play again.  Or feel cheated should I quickly destroy the human race.  Has anyone else dealt with this?  How did you handle it?

RITBeast said:

The game is finally shipping to my house and one of my main concerns is that I will be a cylon on my "teaching play" and my group will feel doubly betrayed and not want to play again.  Or feel cheated should I quickly destroy the human race.  Has anyone else dealt with this?  How did you handle it?

Trust me, even a toaster has to learn. My take is, you'll screw up as much as a cylon as a human. So, don't worry.

RITBeast said:

I ended up a Cylon on my first teaching play.  My advice (and how I played): play as a human until you reach the second stage of the game when the second set of loyalty cards are passed out.  People will make mistakes that will hurt the humans and there is more than enough time in the second 'half" of the game to bring down Galactica.  Plus it is fun because it increases the paranoia even further when people aren't sure if there was a cylon in the first place!

You might want to stack the loyalty deck so you are guaranteed to get "Not a Cylon" in the first half. Or, just don't play as a Cylon if you get that card in the first half. That should give you enough time to teach everyone the basics.

I dont think teaching doesn't really matter if you're a cylon or not. 

The mechanics of the game really boil down to: move, do something, resolve bad ****.

Once play has gone around the table once everyone will get it.

What's more imporant is that after the loyalty cards are dealt out (and make sure players take a long time reading them since "You are not a cylon" cards have less text) is to take the time to explain what every cylon space does so people aren't leaning over the board, thus revealing they are toasters.

Do it again after the sleeper agent phase to remind people as well.

The people I introduced to the game, was sure for a long time that I was the cylon, for some reason.

Maybe because I grabbed Laura to be the president, but thats before loyalty cards - I guess its just because they expect me to know more or something... I think it will happen often that people think the person that seems more confident or more knowledgable is a cylon... while their comfort and knowledge is only about the rules...

But yeah, what they said... play as human until you feel all are handling their own turns by themselves.

...Idless

When teaching as a Cylon try to refrain from being too nasty for the first couple of turns. I usualy find that people have picked up the game by three or four turns and then you can start getting more into the role of a Cylon agent.  Having a 'practice' game is alos a great way to start were people play with their alignment and skill cards revealed. After a short time people should pick things up then you can simply restart.

Kahadras

You could always just go through a practice round or two. Then, after everyone has seen how ridiculously simple this game is considering it has a 32 page rulebook, you can reset up and start over.

There will be a few extra things you'll have to explain about (like what happens when a Cylon reveals, for instance), but that will pretty much give everyone all the information they need to play.