Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Is the Gozanti too small for X-Wing?

15438289312_e35d125eec_b.jpg

I mean, here it looks to be  just  bigger than a Falcon, but not so big to justify a huge ship.   I guess I thought it was bigger than that.   No way it's going to compare to a Rebel Transport.... so it seems either too big for being a large ship, or too small for being huge.   

is the gozanti in the foreground of that pic?  hard to tell.  are they docking?  

That **** Ghost is huge. its like more than half a corvette and about another base length longer than the Falcon.  

The Gozantis should be large enough.  I think they may have not done the scale right in that pic.  

The Gozanti's fine for X-Wing (epic).  The problem it has is the external TIE rack it uses.

IF (big if) it were to be made carrying detachable TIEs, then it would only really look right if it was in 1/270 scale, the same as the in-game TIEs.  Which would instantly throw it's scale out when compared to the other, existing epic ships.

It's a great design, but it's a problematic one.

first of, how big is a Gozanti? is it 40 or 60 meters? or more? on the wiki link above, canon lists it a lot bigger than legends. A TIE is about 9 meters long, so judging from the picture 60 meters is probably too small as well. Also the Ghost is about 41 meters.

If we use roughly 60 meters, at scale 1:270 we get 22.22 cm which could work in epic, but it should probably be smaller so it doesn't dwarf the transport..

And I don't think they would ever do detachable TIE's.

I mean, here it looks to be  just  bigger than a Falcon, but not so big to justify a huge ship.   I guess I thought it was bigger than that.   No way it's going to compare to a Rebel Transport.... so it seems either too big for being a large ship, or too small for being huge.   

Looks just right to me, especially considering the Ghost is larger than the Falcon by quite a bit. I wouldn't mind seeing one or two on the table. 

is the gozanti in the foreground of that pic?  hard to tell.  are they docking?  

That **** Ghost is huge. its like more than half a corvette and about another base length longer than the Falcon.  

The Gozantis should be large enough.  I think they may have not done the scale right in that pic.

Prior to that scene the Ghost had docked with the Gozanti. They were being pulled into the ISD's hangar still docked.

pic2219317_md.jpg

Comparing these two pictures, Mel's model looks too small to me. If you look at the shot from the show, those TIEs look like they could just fit inside the big circle on the underside of the gozanti, while in the pic of Mel's model they look quite a bit bigger. Mel, Comment? Optical illusion or actual variations in scale?

Don't forget the transport is already at an adjusted scale, and if at the same scale as the fighters, would be about double it's actual size.   So if they make the Gozanti into a "huge" ship, then they will either have to make it at a different scale from the rest of the huge ships, (which would then look weird to me), or make it at the same scale as the huge ships and have it end up being SMALLER than the falcon.  

I think if they do it it should be at the same scale as the smaller ships, but give it just one base... and also give it essentially the Huge ship rules.  It would be the smallest of the huge ships, and maybe as a result it doesn't crush any large ships it collides with.   or something like that.  

Comparing these two pictures, Mel's model looks too small to me. If you look at the shot from the show, those TIEs look like they could just fit inside the big circle on the underside of the gozanti, while in the pic of Mel's model they look quite a bit bigger. Mel, Comment? Optical illusion or actual variations in scale?

There's been lots of discussion on this.  Mel's Gozanti is actually longer than the Rebels Gozanti, and designed at 1/270 scale.

The difference appears to be the Rebels TIEs are MUCH smaller than FFG's TIEs - if you look at the various prototypes at the back of the FFG rulebook, it's almost as though the Rebels TIEs are one of the smaller ones...

Given Rebels' 'impressionism', I think there's a lot of room to fudge, especially given that the Huge scale is already fudged.

That's not to say that I'm a big fan of fudge, while chocolaty and tasty, it makes you fat. Also, I am a big fan of strict proportionality. Yet, just like my girth, it feels like a losing battle at this point.

I think I recall reading that Christian Peterson specifically said once that if they do any ships from the cartoons that they would need to adjust proportions and scale to account for the artistic style.

Frankly, I think the gozanti LOOKS like a big ship and given the conflicting evidence for its scale I would not be at all disappointed at anything that makes it a bigger model.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gozanti-class_cruiser

63.8m, puts it prety much exatly at the mid point between the Decimator and the Rebel Transport. So it's a little bit of an odd spot to work with but I think it'll pass for Huge. The Ghost on the other hand is harder to fit in, but seeing how it maneuvers I'd say it should be Large, but as a model it's probably too massive for the large base stand and pegs.

Don't forget the transport is already at an adjusted scale, and if at the same scale as the fighters, would be about double it's actual size.   So if they make the Gozanti into a "huge" ship, then they will either have to make it at a different scale from the rest of the huge ships, (which would then look weird to me), or make it at the same scale as the huge ships and have it end up being SMALLER than the falcon.  

I think it's important to keep in mind that epic scale, for the two ships we have so far, isn't necessarily LINEAR as a lot of people seem to think. (It's been a while, but back during the frenzy of MUST HAVE STAR DESTROYER posts, a bunch of people plotted the two scales on a straight line and interpolated that with continued adjustment, a Star Destroyer would be "perfectly legit" at, like, three inches longer than the CR-90, or something similarly ridiculous.)

My understanding is that the epic scale is more in tune with "what feels right on the table." So I think it would be perfectly acceptable to have an official Gozanti carrier that is pretty close to proper 1:270 to accommodate the mounted TIE Fighters. There might be a little cognitive dissonance looking at the Gozanti and the Transport right next to each other, but frankly the YT-1300 and the CR-90 squick me out a little when they're right next to each other. I think, miniature-wise, a Gozanti would be a FINE Imperial corrollary to the Rebel Transport, and it would (ideally) come with two ESB-Blue TIE Fighters with a host of new pilots and swag, to correspond with the Transport's X-wing.

All that being said, as cool as it is and as much as I would be happy to purchase an official package, I've really never been able to figure out what the mechanics of a carrier like that would provide that the game actually needs. Do we REALLY have a pressing need to make the Imperial player skip his first turn or two while the Ready Pilots are jumping into their ships and disengaging whatever locks keep them from flinging off into the void whenever the carrier jumps to/from hyperspace? Or, if we're not using an in-game carrier mechanic, then what else does the Gozanti provide to make up for the really awkward space it inhabits, scale-wise?