Sign in to follow this  
cyberknightsteve

Crawl intro's for group

There's an app, in the iOS app stores I think it's called crawl creator, it's alright, not the greatest. It mistakes some letters for others unfortunately, and u can't include music unless You pay for the full version. But otherwise it's awesome, I used it to introduce players to the beginner box game, and have now had a small campaign lasting since then for a while, it's sporadic for when we can play thanks to work, but it was probably on of the reasons I managed to get four DnD players into EOTE.

For users of Obsidian Portal, I made a set of Edge of the Empire styles that can give you a static opening crawl for Adventure Logs:

https://explorers-on-the-edge.obsidianportal.com/

And OggDude shared with me some HTML that I use to make a moving crawl with music:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16621012/crawl/session_0/crawl.html

If you're an Android user, Star Words works pretty well.

I use it for my games, and it does what it's designed to do. My only complaint is that there's no way to add the "A long time ago..." text, or have the Star Wars logo show up at the beginning.

Yeah I got the IOS version for my IPhone/IPad really buggy I don't really like it, I'm still learning it but I hate how they try to force you to buy the music again just to use in the app. I've bought or been given(bought by others) SW music in vinyl, 8 track, cassette (several times) and CD's (regular and special edition) I think I've paid enough. The music on my computer is all bought, nothing pirated. So F***K YOU Apple/Itunes. Greedy corporate bastards.

I have used this one in the past,  Works great on computers, but does not come through very well on some mobile devices..

http://www.starwars.com/games-apps/star-wars-crawl-creator

They also have a good collection of sound clips from the movies, and shows

Second this one. I've used it several times, and it does make for a good 'feel' - the fact it's got the music to go with it helps a lot...

If you grab the HTML document that I gave progressions (it's in the post up above), you can customize it for your own crawl.  It's self-contained, has its own style sheet built-in, and the sound and font links are publicly-accessible, so they shouldn't change.  All you need is a browser that supports HTML animation (all modern ones support this).  It works on my PC using Chrome and Firefox, and on my iPhone using Safari.  Just save it to a public location using a cloud service like Google Drive or DropBox and you can run it from any device that has internet access.

I take the same HTML document and customize the crawl text for whatever adventure I'm running and save it off using a different name.  Then I play it back for my group at the start of the adventure or episode.  The bigger the screen, the better :) but if all I have is my iPhone, it still better than nothing.  I find that it's a lot easier to deal with and customize than the Flash crawl generator on the SW site, plus it works on non-Flash-enabled devices such as Apple iPhones and iPads.

Thanks Ogg thats precisely what I want to do.

My players loved it when I showed them their characters in a SW crawl! It really added to their enthusiasm and mine and made for a better game session.

I really want to be able to save a pre made one though, in case I don't have internet access at the time.

Edited by cyberknightsteve

If you just click on it from DropBox's web interface, it tries running the page in its own HTML viewer, which doesn't work very well.  What you need to do is add it to a public folder, right-click and copy the public link, then just paste it to the address bar of a browser window.  Then it works just fine.

I'm fortunate to have a father and a girlfriend who both have the complete Adobe suite, so I've been working on making one that crawls, pans down to the planet, and has a little 3D ship flying in.

However, OggDude yet again comes up with a super handy and easy way to do something with minimal effort on the part of the creator. I'm really starting to hate that guy.

I'm fortunate to have a father and a girlfriend who both have the complete Adobe suite, so I've been working on making one that crawls, pans down to the planet, and has a little 3D ship flying in.

Definitely post a vid of that when you're done!  Sounds awesome!

Definitely post a vid of that when you're done!  Sounds awesome!

Honestly, I stole the idea from these guys. Though I won't be using it for the first (or probably second) "episodes" of the campaign, I'll probably even swipe the "Roll Initiative" thing. But I'll definitely post my version once it's done and debuted in the game.

If you just click on it from DropBox's web interface, it tries running the page in its own HTML viewer, which doesn't work very well.  What you need to do is add it to a public folder, right-click and copy the public link, then just paste it to the address bar of a browser window.  Then it works just fine.

Can you do this with Google drive? I figured out how to host a page, but I'm having the same problem as Roman Virtue; Animation, but no sound.

EDIT: Figured it out; URLs for the audio files needed to be updated, Audio tag needed "autoplay" added.

Edited by Jshock

Honestly, as cool as all these tools are (& I dabbled in a couple), I find that just giving my players something to read takes away from the interactive aspect that brought us to gaming in the first place.

What has really been fun is that I write the three paragraphs of the crawl on three note cards, & each game a different player reads off of those cards (& there is always a volunteer). It really brings their heads into the game & also acts as a nice recap for the last session.

Their cue to start reading is when I play the opening music, & they always begin with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

I just wanted to chime in with some alternate thoughts. Devils' Advocate. :)

- James

I'm a big fan of making opening crawls. There are a ton of video tutorials out there for using Adobe After Effects to make them, but unfortunately that piece of software costs more than building a real death star. I've been making them that way for years and they come out looking great. I would like a tool that would generate them by just inputting text but the ones I've found to date are crap. They either don't look right or don't play the music right.