Sign in to follow this  
antijoke_13

cheating the system: Apothesis and Daemonic Possession

So the Tome of Decay was pretty clear that once you reach 100 corruption, you effectively die, and nothing more becomes of your character. however, I've been wondering if there's a way around that. a couple of the ideas i've played around with are:

A) a character with a sufficiently high Willpower (i.e. 100 Willpower with at least unnatural willpower 1) becomes a Daemon Prince in which the possessing entity is the dominant personality, and the possessed individual is the one who now has to fight for temporary control. The character enacts enough passive influence to keep the daemon from outright killing everything around it, but it is the Daemon's motivations and ambitions that are important right now

B) the character, upon reaching 100 corruption, embarks on a journey to turn the source of his power into a more stable fixture, binding both his soul and the essence of the daemon into a powerful daemonic item (weapon, armour, locket, whatever). the character can never become a daemon prince, but can also never die, so long as the item in which his soul/daemon amalgam is trapped exists. however, should this item be destroyed, the character will die instantly (no burning infamy to stave that of).

so basically you either become a daemon prince with an emphasis on the Daemon, or you become a lich equivalent.

thoughts?

Core rulebook mentions npc daemon princess, Ax'senaea the thrice-possessed, who got from position of planetary ruler (40 infamy according to infamy estimates for npcs) to 100 by consuming three greater daemons with "punishingly long and hard ritual". So yeah, I would allow my pcs to get daemonhood by performing rite of untold terror (summoning the greater daemon), mastering it, forcing it to go through rite of breaking and possession three times in a row. Getting all the needed prequisits to shift the chances on the ritual's outcome from "suicidal through and through" to "hideously dangerous but possible" can take years of gaming.

Option B strikes me as very Sauron-esque. I like it. Option A strikes me as both risky and challenging from a GMing perspective. One bad roll on the players Domination roll results in the death of the entire party.

Option C: allow the player to play the Daemon Prince. Establish restrictions and penalties that apply when outside warp locations unless he binds his power to a phylactery or is bound by a sorcerer.

Edited by Annaamarth