Sign in to follow this  
MIKEtheMERCILESS

Rebel Aces Without The Original B Wing?

Hi folks,

A quick question for you - I've started expanding my Rebel force with an X Wing and A wing, and was looking what else to get. I've heard good things about the B wing and how the A wing gets some great upgrades from what you get in the Rebel Aces box. My only concern is with the B wing... is there enough in the Rebel Aces box to field a decent B Wing loadout, or is it really only meant to supplement the options that come with having the stand-alone B wing expansion?

Many thanks for any help on this!

Absolutely, it has enough.
You miss out on Ibtisam, and Ten Nunb, which aren't as good as the new options, but are still variously viable.
You miss out on the Advanced Proton Torpedoes (waaay too overcosted to be useful), and the Autoblaster (similar).

The Fire-Control System also comes in the Phantom, and is probably the best regular Upgrade in the original B-Wing set.

To extend the conversation slightly, this is also generally good advice for Imperial Aces or (presumably) future Aces packs. You'll want one of the non-ace ship pack for its exclusive pilots, but then Aces are (generally) cheaper and more cost effective. I also find the repaints way cooler.

The best thing about the original B-Wing is Ibtisam.   Well, and the fact that you get a B-Wing, because B-Wings are the best ships in the game, so having as many as possible is awesome!

Best ships in the game? Yeah, I don't think so. The best ship would be the TIE Defender.

Edited by tiefanatic

The best thing about the original B-Wing is Ibtisam.   Well, and the fact that you get a B-Wing, because B-Wings are the best ships in the game, so having as many as possible is awesome!

I vouch for Ibtisam too and this is just personal taste but I prefer the paint scheme of the original B-wing. I don't fancy the bone-white base they used for the Dagger Sqd repaint. Other than that you're not missing much.

While the B-Wing original was -good- you could easily get away with not having more than one. B-Wings basically only need three upgrade types (torpedoes, systems, cannons) and you get a few of those choices covered well with the E-Wing expansion and either the Imperial Shuttle or the Firespray. The way I see buying things for this game is try to get one of everything, including Aces expansions and the epic ships (though I am Rebel for now, and thus, bias) and you can have a great time with this game. It will give you all of the upgrades available, and unless you really want to fly something super specific or just have a love for certain ships and need multiples then you can just get them as you need them.

Bear in mind, you can probably get the elite/unique B-wings (cards, ship tokens) from the original pack via eBay, as most of us bought several and there is literally no need for more than 1 (of the pilot card, at least).

Kudos to FFG for including Dagger and Blue Squadron (and the cheap A-Wings, too). That still pisses me off about Imperial Aces, that I have 6 Interceptors, but only 2 Avenger/Alpha cards.

I think it´s weak that they didn´t include Advanced Sensors in this expansion. Every other person runs B-wings with AS it seems and FFG probably knows it. I would consider buying another shuttle for AS but things tend to be sold out, so no reason to leave out the popular cards in the new expansions.

Ibtisam's ability is really amazing. She came back from three rounds where Wedge and Horton were both taken out, and killed two squints and two eyeballs before she was forced to fly off the board.

Personally, I'd recommend getting a stock B-Wing Expansion first.  The Aces pack has some really great abilities, but doesn't do anything for the basic B-Wing's upgrade bar.  There are no Elite Pilot Talents, Cannons, or Torpedoes (which Dantels wants) in the pack, and the only System is Enhanced Scopes.  The B-Wing Expansion, on the other hand, is full on Systems, Cannons, and Torpedoes.

Similarly, the A-Wing gets an amazing combination of Titles and Missiles, but doesn't get any Elite Pilot Talents, so you'll almost certainly want at least one (probably two or three) stock A-Wings for Push the Limit and Deadeye, and a single Aces pack comes with two A-Wing Test Pilots and three Chardaan Refits for a reason.

All b wing lists still rock

Won a local tournament today with 4 blue b's with fire control and two with flacette torpedos

Two lists with echo ( although one was my game loss)

Must admit the b wings did feel fragile for the first time today against 5 attack dice ships

I think it´s weak that they didn´t include Advanced Sensors in this expansion. Every other person runs B-wings with AS it seems and FFG probably knows it. I would consider buying another shuttle for AS but things tend to be sold out, so no reason to leave out the popular cards in the new expansions.

It's in with the E-wing too.

I think Ten Numb's ability to prevent opponents from saving a crit is worth buying the B-Wing expansion pack. That plus the already stated FCS make buying it worth it IMO.