Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

Walk softly and carry a big Horton Salm

I'm actually trying a Horton Salm build I call 5 dice.

Horton Salm with 2x proton torpedoes

Nera Dantels with 2x proton torpedoes and munition failsafe

Jan Ors with Kyle Katan and Blaster Turret

So the whole point is to do damage and fast. I shoot torpedoes and Jan makes them 5 attack. Horton works great with proton torpedoes. Kyle keeps gaining focus as long as I keep stressing and green Jan for the blaster turret. Nera can suprise people with her trick shots.

I have thought of replacing one of the protons with a flechete and replace one of Nera's with Advanced Proton. Just to remove that blind spot. Any thoughts?

Edited by Marinealver

If you want regular ions you might be better off with the turret or the cannon. Ion Torpedoes are nice and explosive but they're also a one shot weapon.

The reason ion torps feature in my list is they are a great way to control an enemy formation for one turn. I only need the one turn of control to set up for the proton rocks from the a-wings. Also, ion torps will by themselves do considerable damage to the ship they hit. I don't expect salm to last longer than two turns in any case, so his damage is better done up-front in one or two bursts.

Obligatory Mustache

Salm_helmet.jpg

So What do you run with Super Mega Ultra Horton, Wave Edition4 (PS 10)?

Horton Salm (44)
Y-Wing (25), R2-D6 (1), Proton Torpedoes (4), Proton Torpedoes (4), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Engine Upgrade (4), Veteran Instincts (1)

(FYI Wave 5 only needs PS8. They meta will shift there for Dash's 3 action boost, barrel roll, focus craziness. Don't believe me? get on VASSAL where we've been playing wave 5 for months)

Well you need to split fire... so biggs isn't bad. Also stuff that gets shot at like A wings at range 1 or a Blue with HLC. You want to get Horton to the end game where he excels. I've been running variants on this:

==================
[unnamed Squadron]
==================

100 points

Pilots
------

Horton Salm (44)
Y-Wing (25), R2-D6 (1), Proton Torpedoes (4), Proton Torpedoes (4), Ion Cannon Turret (5), Engine Upgrade (4), Veteran Instincts (1)

Biggs Darklighter (25)

Blue Squadron Pilot (31)
B-Wing (22), Fire-Control System (2), Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

I actually split the blue off with the hopes that I can get the enemy to chase after him. Biggs is only there to keep Horton alive after the first pass.

==================
[unnamed Squadron]
==================

100 points

Pilots
------

Horton Salm (44)

Biggs Darklighter (26)
X-Wing (25), R4-D6 (1)

Prototype Pilot (15)
A-Wing (17), Chardaan Refit (-2)

Prototype Pilot (15)
A-Wing (17), Chardaan Refit (-2)

This give Biggs a slight survival bump with the droid. The A's do some work late in keeping enemies blocked off Horton. Although I'm an Ace with A- Wings so your mileage may vary

==================
[unnamed Squadron]
==================

100 points

Pilots
------

Horton Salm (44)

Blue Squadron Pilot (32)
B-Wing (22), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), B-Wing/E2 (1), Jan Ors (2)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)

This is the third list i'm considering. Have yet to run it.
Edited by Kelvan

Horton works really well with Garvin

One of my fave rebel lists is XXYY

Garvin and a generic X, usually a PS4 one

Horton and a generic Y usually again a PS4 one

Give both Y's ion turrets

Spend any spare points on astromechs, r2d2 is good for keeping garvin alive and R5 gives horton more green stress clearing options but you *could* spend those points on ordnance i suppose.

The beauty of this list is Horton and garvin synchronise really well and each have a 'wingman' to soak up a bit of fire while handing out target locks and focus's to the squadron.

It's also beautifully thematic and looks really 'yavin'

How does Horton take PtL in OP? Why is everyone putting VI on Horton in the comments? Did Y-Wings get an Elite Talent slot in a preview I missed?

R2-D6 astromech provides an EPT for 1 point.

Edit:  Ninja'd!

Edited by quasistellar

==================
[unnamed Squadron]
==================

100 points

Pilots
------

Horton Salm (44)

Blue Squadron Pilot (32)
B-Wing (22), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), B-Wing/E2 (1), Jan Ors (2)

This is the third list i'm considering. Have yet to run it.

I'd like to hop on the mustachioed glory train that is Horton Salm but have an alternate to the twin bandits. What if you sub in Lt Blount with an assault missile and wingman to deal with swarms/biggs? As noted, Horton hits like a truck but like all expensive ships can only target one ship at a time. Blount would at least give you something to keep swarmers on their toes and Wingman let's you run a PTL Horton with ease. Even if he only removes stress once, that gives Horton the freedom to mark a target for another hard-hitting salvo.

Horton Hits Hard:

Horton Salm (42)

-Proton Torps x 2 (8), Ion Turret (5), R2-D6 (1), PTL (3)

Lt Blount (24)

-Assault Missile (5), Wingman (2)

Kyle Katarn (34)

-Blaster Turret (4), Recon Spec (3), Moldy Crow Title (3), Predator (3)

Kyle helps Blount deal extra damage while provide fairly hard hitting turret support, Horton tears it up at the substantial PS8, and Blount hits anyone who gets too close and can keep Horton effective several rounds in a row.

Edited by Simonsays3

I actually ran Horton in a list last week with 2x Flechette, ICT, and R2 Astromech.  He one-shotted an A-Wing, but then after that didn't do so well.  I can safely say, however, that his not doing well afterward was 100% my fault.  I'm going to try him again with a few other builds

The beauty of this list is Horton and garvin synchronise really well and each have a 'wingman' to soak up a bit of fire while handing out target locks and focus's to the squadron.

I think you're getting Horton confused with Dutch. Dutch is the Y pilot that hands off target locks. Horton gets to reroll blanks at range 2 and 3.

I don't mean to be a troll, but shouldn't the title be "Speak softly and carry..." Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the quote originates from Teddy Roosevelt's foreign policy: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

On a more related note, I genuinely enjoy this tread. IMHO I believe Y-wings can provide detrimental support when equipped with Ion turrets. I think it is an especially great counter to swarms (along with wise placement of asteroids). From one who consistently runs tie swarms, my toughest opponent has consistently been a fat Han accompanied by two Y's with Ion turrets.

I don't mean to be a troll, but shouldn't the title be "Speak softly and carry..." Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the quote originates from Teddy Roosevelt's foreign policy: "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

On a more related note, I genuinely enjoy this tread. IMHO I believe Y-wings can provide detrimental support when equipped with Ion turrets. I think it is an especially great counter to swarms (along with wise placement of asteroids). From one who consistently runs tie swarms, my toughest opponent has consistently been a fat Han accompanied by two Y's with Ion turrets.

Yeah; I realized that about 10min after making the thread.  Let me know if you know how to change thread titles b/c I don't see an option to.

Ran the following today against echo/howlrunner swarm

Horton Salm

Flechette x2

R2d6

Vet instincts

Engine upgrade

Dutch

Bandit

A with chandran reftx2

Deployed Horton to chas after echo in an alley whole Dutch and crew deployed in the middle and went towards the opposite alley to take on the tie swarm/head off echo. Horton needed the engine upgrades to stay in range of echo, never got to fire his torps but managed to do 2 damage through an asteroid at range 3 against uncloaked echo. Obliterated an academy along the way too. The list was super fun although in debating moving the As down to z95s to give Dutch r2 and a turret. The As are supposed to be flankers/harassers but they don't seem to find the opportunity enough.

Ran the following today against echo/howlrunner swarm

Horton Salm

Flechette x2

R2d6

Vet instincts

Engine upgrade

Dutch

Bandit

A with chandran reftx2

Deployed Horton to chas after echo in an alley whole Dutch and crew deployed in the middle and went towards the opposite alley to take on the tie swarm/head off echo. Horton needed the engine upgrades to stay in range of echo, never got to fire his torps but managed to do 2 damage through an asteroid at range 3 against uncloaked echo. Obliterated an academy along the way too. The list was super fun although in debating moving the As down to z95s to give Dutch r2 and a turret. The As are supposed to be flankers/harassers but they don't seem to find the opportunity enough.

A's are not flankers. They are tanks. On average they live as long as y wings but cost 3 points less. Their job is to get shot instead of dutch and Horton.