Sign in to follow this  
VanorDM

40k refugees and newbies...

Seen a number of people who have just started posting here, who have just got the game and are starting to get into it and joining the community.

Many of them seem to be departing from 40k or just adding X-Wing to their list of games. Some are just new to the game period. I thought I'd start a thread to welcome them all, and a place they could post any and all questions they might have about the game.

So first off welcome from a fellow former member of the Adeptus Astartes.

First bit of advice, if if you have any rules questions we are pretty easy going for common questions on the rules forms.

Edited by VanorDM

I can only speak for myself but thankyou there are quite a lot of us who will have a fondness for the 40k universe but are fed up with how its not about the setting anymore and just about making money(and has been for sometime). Im glad that imo fantasy flight and others put an emphasis on games being fun not just profits.

Yeah not 40k here but a fantasy refugee.

Saw this game about a year ago, but, was busy painting a 2500 or Dark elf force - unfortunately my gaming group moved on before I got to use my newly painted army.

So searching for something new I came across an unboxing video for the blockade runner and my mind was blown - no painting was a big hook but actual model quality was the big drawing point as it allows me to collect all my favourite ships from all my favourite EU books

All I need now is to find someone willing to play it.

I am a 40K cross over myself!  I love the universe, I love the models, but the game in its current state is something I do not recognize anymore.  6th Edition post advent calendar/Tau/Eldar was bad, but 7th with its complete lack of balance, a force org, or anything that resembles a company giving a **** about the rules they product, did it in for me.  GW will march on, but without my gaming dollar.

So welcome 40K players, to a game where rules do matter, the company actually cares about the community and the products they produce, where game balance is something that is constantly being debated and fixed.  And for those with a competitive edge to them, this game STRONGLY supports its competitive community!

Welcome friends!

I still play 40k, but less often and less enthusiastically than I used to. The thing is, making any sort of substantial change to my force requires so much money, time and effort that I tend to play the same(ish) list over and over again. Sure, X-Wing ships might be relatively costly compared to how much you get, but changing your list (or even your faction) takes so much less of everything than it does in 40k. Still, it's easier to find a Warhammer game than an X-Wing game, so at least for the time being quitting outright isn't an option.

I've played more games of X-Wing that 40K, but I think that's a product of how easy it is to get an X-Wing game going.  Warhammer takes a little time and planning to set up.  I still really love Warhammer and I'll continue to play it. 

It wasn't the price that drove me off but 7th, i really wasn't having fun with 6th it was forcing me to play a shooty force and i am a space wolf player i like getting stuck in but combat is so bloody awkward and unrewarding now.

I'd hoped 7th would fix combat it didn't even touch it but added another thing i hate more random, random spells random objectives random leader traits it removes all need for skill, the fact you can lose most of your army yet still win because you were lucky with random objectives is just bullcrap.

The games slow and boring now because its rules were designed for skirmish play not large battles, since i quite i don't miss it.

I'm also a 40k expat.   I think for me the thing that drove me away from 40k was a strong sense of imbalance, combined with the other factors of high cost and significant time investment - both in preparing your army and actually playing the game.  

The ruleset made the game not only an exercise in memory (which i don't mind too much), but also often a test of your debating and persuasion skills.  There is a strong rules-lawyering community in 40k that does not exist in X-wing.  I don't like having combative arguments during the course of my miniatures games.  The 'fly casual' gaming ethic is pervasive in x-wing, while the atmosphere in 40k is often exploitative and cutthroat.  Players are also looking to maximize their list power in X-Wing, but there is far less of that rules exploitation, probably because the rules for X-wing don't have as many loops to exploit, and also because the general atmosphere in X-wing is friendlier.  

I once played 40K back around 4th edition myself and quit also due to what some here have already pointed out about gw and doubt i will ever return to them, And as the op says welcome to everyone that joins this nice community and glad to have you all.

Sold all my WIP CSM loot to get more ships... 40k's pretty much in an unrecognizable frankenstein state now and despite loving the lore, getting into playing a game is a chore.  

Still do a bit of painting retouching the ships and all but 40k is just too costly to keep up on.  However gearing up my lizzies to face the great Nagoof and friends :)

Edited by Scarloochie

I also (with my entire game group) fled 40K at 6th Ed. 40K has never had good rules or balance, but at least 5th was serviceable. 6th was a joke, 7th even worse I hear, and worst of all, Games Workshop openly loathes and gouges its customers. X-Wing is a better game (vastly better rules), but even better is FFG and the support they bring. I can't wait for GW to fold and for FFG to get more market share.

I got into 40K as my first full dive into miniature games than quit after I realized their were books with pretty art but there weren't any books with rules :P Only played for like six months. Actually I'm a recovering cardboard-crack Magic addict. :D Retired cold turkey as of the release of M15 Coreset. Best decision I ever made.

I was musing the other day about what it would be like if FFG was offered the rule writing for 40k. Too bad GW is such an awful company that they'd probably go bankrupt before seeking an opportunity to actually have a game to produce. Hell they'd probably go bankrupt twice.

I got into 40K as my first full dive into miniature games than quit after I realized their were books with pretty art but there weren't any books with rules :P Only played for like six months. Actually I'm a recovering cardboard-crack Magic addict. :D Retired cold turkey as of the release of M15 Coreset. Best decision I ever made.

I was musing the other day about what it would be like if FFG was offered the rule writing for 40k. Too bad GW is such an awful company that they'd probably go bankrupt before seeking an opportunity to actually have a game to produce. Hell they'd probably go bankrupt twice.

They don't care about the rules they've said it themselves they sell models, but I and I suspect alot of people don't have a reason to buy overpriced kits if the game isn't fun.

I'd love to see a ffg version of 40k, but first I want to see gw go under.