Sign in to follow this  
Vulkan He''stan

When more than one skill check applies...

We've all had situations where more than one skill check can possibly lead to the information you need.  As a GM, how do you handle it? I'll give an example.  Let's say the Explorers want to find out about a group of Eldar pirates operating the area.  The skills that I see applying are Common Lore: Expanse, Forbidden Lore: Pirates, and Forbidden Lore: Xenos.  Let's say someone has all of these marked as Trained.  Is there a published rule or is it considered GM fiat? If GM fiat, how do you handle it? Let them roll up to 3 times? Roll once with circumstance modifiers? Addition question, if the tests for separate rolls differ in difficulty, do you tell them which will be easier or harder?

It's not so much the skill as the difficulty factor.  It might be Common Lore: Expanse (-40) or Forbidden Lore: Pirates (-10) or what have you.  If people have Scholarly Lore or Forbidden crossovers from Common Lore I usually give them a better chance with their more specific lore than a common one.

When it comes to Lores, it's really easy.

Don't think of the various Lores are separate skills, but rather the character applying what he already knows. In other words, the character is trying to figure out if he knows something about this thing or not. He doesn't consciously choose "Hey, I'm going to use my knowledge of the Expanse to see if I can know this...".

He simply asks himself "Do I know anything about this?".

Therefore, simply tell the players what they options are in that particular situation. "Anyone with Imperial Guard or Imperial Navy, do a roll" or "Anyone with Forbidden Lore Occult or Heresy, make a roll to see if you can recognize what's going on.".

And then based on what they choose to roll, arbitrate and narrate what they learn, which might be slightly different based on what they rolled.

Yes, the above is how I best agree with it working. 

I must also note that the differences in categories of lore skills are important too--most of all Common Lore. If one succeeds at Common Lore, they should receive much more general information than they would from Scholastic or Forbidden Lore. 

I have a Seneschal player with an enormous amount of Lore skills, and a high intelligence. I have tried to familiarize myself with his Lores, and when he possesses one I find relevant, because he has not improved many of them to +10 or higher, I just tell him to roll his Intelligence, especially when numerous Lore skills apply. I don't have him roll numerous times for multiple overlapping Lore skills, though if he does have a positive modifier in one of them, I try to keep track of it, and add it to his roll (as often times, he doesn't know what Lore he is even rolling for, so as not to give away the nature of certain things in the event of a failure to recognize them).

However, for information not covered completely by a particular Lore skill, I will take multiple relevant Lores and add them together. For example, there was a Space Wolf Chapter Serf looking for one of our characters at Port Wonder. The Seneschal did not have Lore (Adeptus Astartes). However, he had Common Lore (Imperium), Common Lore (Legend), Common Lore (Hereldry), along with a fourth Lore I can't remember which also had some relevance (he has so many, I still haven't memorized them all as GM), and added all of them together. I figured, all together, they were enough for him to roll his base Intelligence to know the Chapter Serf was a Space Wolf by his heraldry. I will let multiple Lore skills stack in this way if it makes sense for the check and the situation, provided they are at least tangentially related to the object or subject which sparked the check in the first place.

Edited by Crow Eye