Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

Oneway is a really nice guy =)

they are water slide decals.. just get some warm water and cut the decal close to the cog. float it on the top of the water for about 20 - 30 seconds then lift it out, I usually use a brush that is really clean. then see if it slides off the backing then apply it to your surface. 

Micro sol and micro set are used to soften the decals so they adhere better and conform to the surface better as well. I use the sol first as I believe it is the first one on.. just take a brush and dip it in the bottle then apply to the surface you want to apply the decal. then set the decal on it.. then move the decal around to where you want it and then use a paper towl to lightly dab off the excess water and sol. let it dry for a little while.. maybe a few minutes, then hit it with the set.. but don't use a heavy hand brushing on the set, it will cause the decal to move. With these being thick decals they shouldn't tear or rip but it's best to be gentle with them. 

you can let the set absorb into the decal or dab it off as well, just use a light touch.. or it may move as I mentioned. I let it soak up the set solution as it seems to conform to the models creases better then after a few minutes dab off any extra or let it set over more time. they should dry white with the cog popping out nicely. then just take a little canola oil, I use a small sponge applicator, and wipe it off some, don't want too much. then apply the oil to the white areas and they will become transparent, and what ever color is under it will show through. also if you don't have canola I use regular vegetable oil it works fine as well.. 

Like I said any questions please feel free to contact me.. or if you mess one up I can send you some more.. lol. I have usede d too much of the micro set and ripped one. it was fixable but I just got a fresh one. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.. 

the small ones I have put on the nose of the shuttle and it looks good there.. if I think about it I'll post a couple pics of my shuttles and give you some ideas.. 

You should be able to find micro set and sol at your hobby store or game store.. it'll be with the paints and such.. 

@ oneway - Interesting using the canola oil to get rid of the 'silvering' around the edges. I did not know that. Thanks, that tip will help me out on MANY painting projects I have in the works.

I can't take credit for it though.. lol.. the instructions for the decal paper specifcally call it out. The stuff I'm using is for model railroading and on a whim tried it out. It's worked well for me so far. I was trying to get away from decal paper that had to be spray sealed.

This stuff is really interesting as when the print job is done you can see the ink stacked up on it and then as it settles into the paper it becomes imbedded and smooth.. it's really interesting to watch..

When this decal is applied and dry, they turn white, and the oil makes the white area transparent. You can omit the oil and have a white decal as well. I am experimenting to use it on the wings of a couple TIE fighters to see ifni can get that painted look that some of our bretheren here have painted. I really dig the look, but just can seem to paint it out myself...

I'm tempted to ask for someone to do a couple for me and I could compensate them for it.. lol.. we have some very talented people on this board..

Edited by oneway

Looks like I have a trade with a guy in the UK, and will be getting another Cosmic Albino Bovine... now I have to figure out what color to paint it.. lol.. thinking maybe some greys... though I have really liked a couple of the Red ones seen recently... and of course more cogs on the wings and sail...

Hmmmmm decisions, decisions.....

Yeah.  I gotta figure out how I'm gonna use them best.  Those tiny ones look fun.  =) 

I'm actually not super sure how they work either.  or what micro sol is haha.

That cuts it!!!

:angry:

You just lost a point on your NERD CARD!

:ph34r:

I might just cry.  

---

Bahaha.   So, when you apply the decal, you soak the white paper its currently on in water for 20 to 30 secs, then just press it onto the surface?  Then do you add this micro sol while youre pressing or after?  How long do you have to press for?  

Haha, I'm honestly totally lost, but I'm really looking forward to using them ><  

No pressing.. when you soak the decal there is a backing and the decal paper as well. Once wet, the decal loosens and you can slide it off. While the decal is in the water, that's when I usually apply the sol to the model surface where I'll be putting the decal... then slide the decal on the surface and then use a towel to lightly dab off the water.. as with any decal, if you press down on them too much or too hard all the water wicks away and it has a risk of coming off on your paper.. and yes I speak from experiance.. lol.. I'm far from perfect haha..

Heck if I didn't like modeling I wouldn't mess with it and all my ships would be plain Janes...

Edited by oneway