Sign in to follow this  
AgentV

Will Farlander be underused?

I would almost think he is over hyped.  I ran him the other night and it didn't work so well, pushing red maneuvers means he would be out of formation with the rest of the B-wings so it wasn't that useful for the points.  At the very end of the game when I was finally able to use the stress...... I didn't get a single focus on the dice, just 3 hits a a blank. 

Now Nera with two Flechette torpedoes I'm finding a lot more useful.  Turn toward the threat you want to go after while dropping Stress on the ones you want to keep away.  

The Yamoto cannon variants will be tricky for Han and probably phantoms (if Farlander can set up some shots). It's just too many dice for them to safely ignore.

But I prefer the knife fighters, advanced sensors, ptl, engine upgrade and he moves a lot like a phantom. You just have to be mindful of greens removing a stress before you to use it.

I think once it comes out I'll switch to advanced sensors, stay on target, engine upgrade, it has some amazing movement options.

I may have overreacted on Farlander to start with, but he is certainly up with the strength of Fel, he is more expensive to equip, but has a lot of potential builds. If there is a downside to Farlander it's his cost as it compromises list building.

Had no issue beating a fat Han and a Phantom list this week with this list:

Wes Janson

++Veteran Instincts

++R3A2

Keyan Farlander

++Opportunist

++HLC

Biggs Darklighter

++Hull Upgrade

The damage output surprised me for a three ship rebel list. Considered Adv sensors on Keyan instead of the hull on Biggs, but Keyan was already prohibitively expensive. Wanted to spread some points out. Basically Wes clears tokens and stresses for next turn/block ACD, and Keyan is a monster of damage, even at range.

Edited by Engine25

I'm sorry, I guess I just missed where B-wings are fragile.

They're fragile for their point cost once you start adding named pilots, lots of upgrades, etc. You have 8 HP but only a single green die, very limited defensive actions/upgrades (expensive crew only), and limited arc dodging ability. With a b-wing you know that you aren't going to roll all blanks on defense and explode in one turn, but you also know that it only takes 8-10 hits to kill your ship and there's very little you can do to stop it. This makes Farlander a ticking clock where every shot at him, even from a basic academy pilot with no focus token, brings him closer to inevitable death.

Contrast this with Fel/Tycho/etc where you have the potential to ignore shot after shot from weaker threats, dodge arc against the big guns, and stay on the table even when your opponent throws everything they have at one ship.

As logical as this sounds, Keyan isn't doing his thing in a vacuum.  You pair him with an equally juicy target and you can get your opponent to pick their poison, increasing the survivability of all of your ships.

What about adding Kyle crew in there?

Seems the card was made for him.

Pretty much useless. You clear your stress to get an offense-only focus, which means that the focus token from Kyle would only be useful defensively. And a 1-agility ship isn't going to get much out of defensive focus. You'd be much better off taking C-3P0 or Chewbacca instead.

Where Kyle is awesome is on other b-wings that can't immediately clear their stress. Use advanced sensors to focus before you k-turn, then next turn when you clear that stress with a green maneuver you get a focus token and your normal action for the turn.

What about adding Kyle crew in there?

Seems the card was made for him.

Yes and no. He could get a free defensive focus after every attack, yes. Fact is, though, a defensive focus isn't terribly helpful on a 1 attack ship, and this combo costs 4 points on a B wing. Even a second agility goes leaps and bounds in making a defensive focus more useful, but B wings are resilient without it and dint benefit from it much.

Keyan Farlander - 29

B-Wing/E2 - 1

Push the Limit - 3

Fire Control System - 2

Gunner - 5

Maybe something like that?

Forty points invested in a one agility ship that's a fast way to lose a tournament alright.

Whether or not that build will be effective is a good question, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are successful ways to play Farlander at 40 points..

I don't really know if Keyan will be underused, but Cluster Missiles just became a very very good choice for all comers lists now. If Keyan lists get really popular, I say Clusters might be a no brainer.

Why would Keyan make Clusters any better? They are not particularly good on him in comparison to other pilots, nor are they particularly necessary to take Keyan out.

Keyan Farlander - 29

B-Wing/E2 - 1

Push the Limit - 3

Fire Control System - 2

Gunner - 5

Maybe something like that?

Forty points invested in a one agility ship that's a fast way to lose a tournament alright.

Whether or not that build will be effective is a good question, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are successful ways to play Farlander at 40 points..

The phantom has movement and the ACD to keep it alive the b-wing has one treacherous green die, when cheap eight hull is great when it's expensive it's not enough he'll be the prime focus and die in two turns.

I don't really know if Keyan will be underused, but Cluster Missiles just became a very very good choice for all comers lists now. If Keyan lists get really popular, I say Clusters might be a no brainer.

Why would Keyan make Clusters any better? They are not particularly good on him in comparison to other pilots, nor are they particularly necessary to take Keyan out.

I think it's more along the lines of using the cluster missiles against him. Two shots even at 3 dice will chip away at him very effectively.

I think it's more along the lines of using the cluster missiles against him. Two shots even at 3 dice will chip away at him very effectively.

Precisely this. Much of this game, (or all of it if you're a nutjob who stares Squadron Builder all day) is list building. Clusters will become better in the meta if we get more people playing B's and still have the same number of Falcon lists flying about. Add to this a health sprinkle of VT-49's an Clusters start to look like something you should be packing every time you go out.

Precisely this. Much of this game, (or all of it if you're a nutjob who stares Squadron Builder all day) is list building. Clusters will become better in the meta if we get more people playing B's and still have the same number of Falcon lists flying about. Add to this a health sprinkle of VT-49's an Clusters start to look like something you should be packing every time you go out.

You mean just like assault missiles for killing swarms, right?  Don't hold your breath for Cluster missiles showing up in every list. Using 4% of your list is a tough sell, despite the idea being a good one.  

I have long thought that we might see a meta shift towards ordnance to counter the threat of Han, but it has never materialised.  It's not like missiles are bad versus phantoms either, the more dice you roll the better your chances of breaking the 4 green dice.  

Most missiles and torps take two turns to set up correctly like needing a TL to fire but not being able to re-roll with that TL means you want a focus when you pull the trigger to maximize that one shot weapon, rolling five dice unaugmented means two and a half hit.

It can be tough to set up a decent bombing run its just much easier to use Canon's.