Sign in to follow this  
Marascal

Squadron Acquisition Rules

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone here can clarify exactly what the acquisition role to acquire a squadron of small craft is. This is what I've got so far...

For example

A single star fury is extremely rare (-30) and gets and additional -10 for being a vehicle, +30 for only getting one and you've got a role modifier of -10 overall.

A squadron of star furies involves getting a unit (-20), are extremely rare (-30) for a modifier of -50 overall.

Have I got this right? A minor (30) amount of items would normally be +10 so the squadron could be acquired with a -30 check. Which is the correct rule? 

Edited by Marascal

It's up to the GM.  I go with the numbers.  20 Furies, or 1 squadron (+10), Extremely Rare (-30), Vehicle (-10) = -30.  If your players have good PF, it's usually easier to attempt more than 1 squadron at a time.  I think 5 squadrons only increases the acquisition to -40 (don't have the book with me).

It's all still assuming that they're available, and then convincing the local potentate or Imperial authority that you should have some in the first place.

Yeah, they aren't a starship component.  Plus those got redone in BFK.  I know some people still use the core for that.  Personally, I check both and give the worst outcome...of course.  And that's when I'm being nice.  Essential components should just be hard to find.  Who has a spare warp drive just laying around?  Those things are built for starships, and each one is a bit different.  It's not a spark plug you just change.  The largest current building on Earth might be able to hold the smallest one....maybe.  I can't picture them just floating in the void around Footfall waiting for a potential buyer.

I don't know; I'm happy if I'm wrong, because replacing craft, torpedoes, and especially probably Nova shells would seem tough enough WITHOUT the extra penalty of being a war asset, but it just seems weird that the cannon is a war component, but the stuff that makes it USEFUL is "easy to regain." Still, if I am wrong, hazaah, because an identical check to the bay, the tubes, or the cannon, every time one of them is depleted, would SUCK!!!

I actually prefer to us the BFK rules for buying units.  The Squadron (+10) of Fury fighters would be an Heavy (-20) Air Unit (-30), Volunteer Skill (+0), from a Technological (+0) or Imperial (-10) world, for a total Acquisition modifier of -50.  If you wanted pilots with better than a 30 skill you would buy up the skill level, up to Skill 60 at a total of -80 Acquisition.

It actually makes calculating a variety of troops relatively easy while allowing enough variety for even the more unusual units.  I assume that if the players are paying only for the vehicles they are going to be coming without trained crews.  Not really an issue for a single shuttle, but a little bit more important for fighters and bomber.  This also provides ground crews and supplies.  Heavy fighting may require an upkeep roll, but if you are using the fighters off of a starship I assume that is included with the various casualty rolls.