Sign in to follow this  
Explosive Ewok

OT: An observation to make you feel old

Obvious similarity is obvious. I can't wait for Luke to serve an Obi-Wan role.

I mean, just how thematically beautiful will that be, folks? It's been that long- we may very well get to see the obi-wan/luke scene again... But, this time... With Luke himself as Obi-Wan.

Something about that just... Makes me gitty. That passing of the torch. That, "Your time is now, I've had mine."

Can you just imagine?

"You fought in the Civil War?"

There is no lore to screw. EU lore is gone.

Just because some suits with to much money says something is gone does not make it so

I really don't want to argue. We will see in a few years from now, who is right, and if most people who prefer the EU, being full on dissapointment and nostalgy, while others, just moved on.

Edited by DreadStar

Han might die as well, but both trilogies have had a jedi "mentor" figure that dies.  Qui-gon and Obi-wan respectively.  To keep that symbology going, Luke is the obvious choice to pass the torch and die.

Its a fairly staple story device that a student's mentor must 'leave' in some fashion (usually dying) so the pupil can fulfill their potential, find their own path, etc. 

I'd also be sorry to see Luke die but if it serves the story that's cool. Plus Jedi don't really die anyway, they become ghosts ;)

Edited by Ghost Dancer

And there is the other problem, J J!!!

Look what he did to Trek. Pretty **** fail job right there.

Sure it was some sci-fi film, and I will take what little I can get but it bugs me when we get a old well established franchise and then some dumb arse director, who has no clue, gets his grubby hands on it and makes a mess.

At least with J J Trek it's an alternate time line NOT a re-boot or continuing the story.

Why is there always that guy, that can't let anyone else have their own opinion.

Because some suits paid lots of money to get something and now they can just do as they please with it.

They say bugger the work that plenty of people have put into our beloved star wars over the last 30 years

Well I say bugger them!!

Why is there always that guy, that can't let anyone else have their own opinion.

Because since you are voicing your opinion, i can criticize or give my opinion about your opinion. Normal procedure. And to be honest. I only said that you shouldn't worry about breaking any more the "canon", because by default is already broken. Didn't try to be "that guy", just that you should move on with your expectations as an advice. I know that you probably won't take it, because you seem to be heavily invested into the EU, but you are just setting yourself for dissapointment in my opinion.

Just going to say it right now, Luke dying would utterly break my heart. But if it's for the story and done well, I'll love it.

I'll laugh for you then.

Because since you are voicing your opinion, i can criticize or give my opinion about your opinion. Normal procedure. And to be honest. I only said that you shouldn't worry about breaking any more the "canon", because by default is already broken. Didn't try to be "that guy", just that you should move on with your expectations as an advice. I know that you probably won't take it, because you seem to be heavily invested into the EU, but you are just setting yourself for dissapointment in my opinion.

I can't say about the others, but I already plan on being disappointed in the movies, so it's not hurting me any. Still, I do think Mr. Hammil looks pretty cool with the beard.

Because some suits paid lots of money to get something and now they can just do as they please with it.

They say bugger the work that plenty of people have put into our beloved star wars over the last 30 years

Well I say bugger them!!

You have to admit that the EU was a train wreck, though. I mean, yeah, there were some "good" stories but for the most part the EU was filled with contradiction and a lot of roll-your-eyes stories.

Skippy. I think that's proof enough.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid

Personally I think the EU purge was a good thing. Granted I never had any emotional investment in it to begin with, so I'm not in the same boat as some.

Lucas vaguely cared about the Star Wars franchise when it was in his care. He let anyone and everyone come along and add their two cents and all of a sudden it's considered canon. To me it goes to show how much he really didn't care about the Star Wars universe as a whole.

And while this did bring to the table the sense that the fans are involved in a way not seen in any other franchise, holding Star Wars closer to everyone's heart, this is also where it failed.

When you have no control over where the story is going, how it connects to other stories or how it will affect the overall universe, things get messy. And Darth Maul gets legs. (I know, the Clone Wars series is canon now, but Lucas didn't intend on bringing Maul back until the fans cried out and someone else had the idea)

I think the fact that the "suits" consolidated the canon of Star Wars means that they intend on doing a lot of things with the story. And having control over that means a more consistent universe and more consistent story.

Edited by Explosive Ewok

I give up hope on humanity whenever someone says EU was mostly bad, because they CLEARLY read/played everything in the EU so they know this.

Not mostly bad as in there were no good stories. I mentioned that there was good story telling out there.

What I'm saying is that there were countless times of contradiction or backtracking that happened because there was no clear path in terms of where the stories would go. Not everything contradicted everything else, but it happened.

That's not to say that any good story has a crystal clear start and end, a lot of good writing comes from improvisation. In fact I'm one of those people that firmly believe that Lucas had no pre-visualized universe before he started filming, and that he made up a lot of it as he went along. What I mean is that when you have countless different people writing an equally countless number of stories that all revolve around well-known characters, some things will turn weird.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have no emotional investment in the EU to begin with, and I respect the love that a lot of people have for it. I just feel that, despite the good stories that have been told, the EU purge was for the better.