Sign in to follow this  
Deadshane

Does Tycho make a decent Phantom Hunter?

33pts

Tycho

-Proton Rockets

-Test Pilot

-Push the limit

-Veteran Instincts

Could add either Stealth device or Hull for a 36pt ship.  Could prove sort of pivotal anyway.  Cheaper than a falcon...but could easily one-shot a phantom at close range.

Get the Focus/lock off and a Phantom decloaked has to roll two evades to survive the missle shot.

I like him with Expert Handling over Veteran Instincts.  You lose the PS advantage guarantee, but it opens up a Boost+Barrel Roll that even Interceptors can't match, because you never have to worry about doing that green next turn.  PtL Interceptors tend to live in the 2 Turn...  Tycho has his entire dial (minus the K, obviously) to choose from.

I wasn't too sold on Tycho but i definitely like jake with vet instincts and ptl.

Both could be fun to fly together but having 30 points tied up in 2 Attack Ships  after those missiles go is a little risky (maybe take Outmaneuver instead of VI that might help and it takes advantage of the A-wings mobility)

I like him with Expert Handling over Veteran Instincts.  You lose the PS advantage guarantee, but it opens up a Boost+Barrel Roll that even Interceptors can't match, because you never have to worry about doing that green next turn.  PtL Interceptors tend to live in the 2 Turn...  Tycho has his entire dial (minus the K, obviously) to choose from.

I would take this one step forward with Experimental Interface once it is out.

I think that this sounds like a great Phantom Hunter.

The problem, I would imagine is that Phantom is going to see him coming. It seems like the Phantom has a lot of options in keeping away from him. So, Tycho has to guess pretty accurately where the Phantom is going to end up after movement and decloaking. In terms of the latter, it's got three choices and then a host of movement options. Sure, VI will let Tycho move after, but with boost he can only do so much, and those proton rockets need range 1.

I imagine that given the Phantom's movement abilities, you're better off with something that can hang further back and roll red dice at greater range. The arc is just broader from there.

I have always thought about this as a good Phantom counter.

Homing > Concussion. If you roll more than one blank with a Concussion you're SOL, Homing lets your reroll all blanks AND it bypasses evade tokens. For 1 point I would always take it over Concussion, and I think it is debatably better than Prockets for Phantom hunting. I also think Chardaan Refit can still work if you're on a budget.

Yes, there is a chance of rolling more than one blank on four red dice, but the Concussion missile's ability to turn a blank into a hit is an automatic that the homing missile doesn't get. Also, YMMV, but I don't see all that many people using evade tokens for their Phantoms.

I'm not in the best state for math right now, so one of the superior mathwingers will have to lay it out, but it seems to me that there is ~15% of >1 blanks on 4 red dice, and on the re-roll each dice is going to turn up another hit/crit 50% of the time (focus being moot).

So, while the odds might be in the homing missile's favor, are those superior odds worth 1 point?

EDIT: and since we're talking about this in the context of a pilot with greater PS than Whisper, might Cluster Missiles not be a better option altogether? That's six (2x3) red dice vs. four (2x2) green dice, at range 1-2, rather than four red dice (yes, with TL) against two green dice. That gives you just as many uncanceled red dice, but given that red>green, there might be an advantage there. 

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

My personal issue with Cluster and Prockets is a Phantom can fairly easily stay out of range 1 even against pilots with higher PS. Relying on a range 1 shot is iffy as all get out.

Yes, this point was what I was making earlier - at least where it concerns the Proton Rockets. You feel the same way about Clusters, which are R1-2?

One other point about Tycho vs Phantoms....

Rebel Captive is very popular on the Phantoms...and Tycho jus' don' care.  "Poor bastard shouldn't have gotten caught."

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't tychos loyalty come into question in the EU stories?

My personal issue with Cluster and Prockets is a Phantom can fairly easily stay out of range 1 even against pilots with higher PS. Relying on a range 1 shot is iffy as all get out.

Yes, this point was what I was making earlier - at least where it concerns the Proton Rockets. You feel the same way about Clusters, which are R1-2?

Ha, I actually forgot cluster were 1-2. I don't like the lack of reasonable modifiers on cluster.

Ha, I actually forgot cluster were 1-2. I don't like the lack of reasonable modifiers on cluster.

Are you kidding me? The reroll on the Cluster Missiles is awesome! You get to keep your hits from the first roll, and roll ALL the dice again. Sounds like a pretty awesome modifier to me. :P

Are you kidding me? The reroll on the Cluster Missiles is awesome! You get to keep your hits from the first roll, and roll ALL the dice again. Sounds like a pretty awesome modifier to me. :P

What modifier are you talking about on Cluster?  =/  Oh.  No.  No.  

I'd take the Homing.  I've played a few games with Concs and PTs (4 pt stuff).  Don't take them.  Go for the Homing.  The Conc is pretty bad.  

Cluster doesn't sound good here.  The diff of red dice isn't enough.  

The only way to fly Tycho awesomely is Tycho + PtL + EH + CR + EI, or drop EH and CR for VI and PR if Phantom hunting.

I'm drawing a total blank on EH, which makes me not sure why experimental interface wants to be on there.

nevermind, expert handling. Hah that setup sounds awesome

Edited by catachanninja

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't tychos loyalty come into question in the EU stories?

Yes it was in question in the first two or three books from the x-wing series, later on in series he was cleared of any accusations

Yes it was in question in the first two or three books from the x-wing series, later on in series he was cleared of any accusations

Was it because he was ok shooting revel captives? ;)