Sign in to follow this  
BobaFett THX1138

What new ships would you like to see and play with X-wing?

Hounds Tooth was made smaller on the Clone Wars TV Show. I dont know the size, but it looks closer to a Large ship:yv-666-frachter.png

Here you can see the small cockpit, but in the show you can see them going down the ramp and there is clearer that the ship is small.

I don't remember seeing that in the Clone Wars. Which episode was it?

I'd personally like to see some of sith and jedi specific ships.  Like the Jedi fighter in the first movie (phantom menace).  Sorry, not terribly familiar with the details of the expanded universe.  Just seems to me the game is lacking some of the 'magic' aspect of the fiction.

Was happy to see Mara Jade though!

I'd personally like to see some of sith and jedi specific ships.  Like the Jedi fighter in the first movie (phantom menace).  Sorry, not terribly familiar with the details of the expanded universe.  Just seems to me the game is lacking some of the 'magic' aspect of the fiction.

You wont see prequel ships they've said its rebellion era and onwards.

"Bounty" S04 E20. The episode where Simon Pegg plays Dengar. There are several shots of the Hounds Tooth, even some with the wings folded in landing position.

Going by the shot where they're walking down the ramp, which look about 1m wide, the ship is around 39.5 m, with a wingspan of about 26.5m. That puts it close to the Decimator, which is cool, I'd rather it be a Standard play ship than Epic.

Please no more sharing of ships. Factions are going to quickly lose their identity.

It's a civil war, for chrissakes - there should be a lot more overlap than there currently is - especially between the criminal world and the rebellion.

Both would be getting their fighter craft and capital ships from naval surpluses and/or stolen/defected from the line. Sure, there is a market of security tech manufacturers out there, who produce for the local authorities, but it should only be the rare companies that would throw in their lot with the rebels, such as Incom did, or would have a natural home in the rebellion because of their alien origins, such as the Verpines who built the B-Wing, or the Mon Calamari who built those capital ships.

The only difference is that one faction is Scum & Villainy, whereas the other is Scum & Treason. :P

Hounds Tooth was made smaller on the Clone Wars TV Show. I dont know the size, but it looks closer to a Large ship...

StarWars.com says it's 47.4m long (presumably the second "length" entry is its wingspan). So it's longer than the Decimator (and pretty close to the Gozanti?) but way under Epic scale.

Edited by Vorpal Sword

You aren't looking at it from a game design perspective. Attack Wing suffers greatly from all the ships mixing. I would rather the factions have tighter identities. So, while I will allow them the Most Wanted stuff, anymore is not something I am eager to see.

You're right - I'm not looking at it from a game design perspective. I'm looking at it from a love-of-the-SWU perspective. Is that an inferior point of view to yours?

As I understand it, Attack Wing goes a bit beyond ship mixing, and nobody is arguing for that. So there's no point in making the slippery-slope argument or for that matter reductio ad StarTrekkium:P

You aren't looking at it from a game design perspective. Attack Wing suffers greatly from all the ships mixing. I would rather the factions have tighter identities. So, while I will allow them the Most Wanted stuff, anymore is not something I am eager to see.

You're right - I'm not looking at it from a game design perspective. I'm looking at it from a love-of-the-SWU perspective. Is that an inferior point of view to yours?

As I understand it, Attack Wing goes a bit beyond ship mixing, and nobody is arguing for that. So there's no point in making the slippery-slope argument or for that matter reductio ad StarTrekkium:P

Official releases need to prioritize game design in order to maintain balance and diversity between the factions. Players can always do what they want in casual games. If you want to put Ibtisam, Soontir and Tycho in X-wings and do a post-endor Rogue Squadron you can do it, but I don't think we'll see FFG release it.

Well then they lied! The YT-1300, Y-Wings, and the Corvette were in the PT. :P

Official releases need to prioritize game design in order to maintain balance and diversity between the factions.

Well, there are design choices that they can make, but what is the inherent virtue of apartheid between the factions - which they've already demonstrated that they're not going to adhere to? So, apparently that need is more of a want on your and Sithborg's part.

Players can always do what they want in casual games. If you want to put Ibtisam, Soontir and Tycho in X-wings and do a post-endor Rogue Squadron you can do it, but I don't think we'll see FFG release it.

I don't think they'll do so either, nor am I anywhere remotely suggesting that they should do such a thing. I assume that you didn't quite follow what I wrote in the last paragraph that you cited of me.

Yes, they have blurred the lines with the Most Wanted pack. I'm not exactly happy with that. But, they clearly are making some decisions to uphold the iconic imagery. No R2-D2 in the Scum Y-wing, for example. So, don't expect TIEs flying with X-wings anytime soon. And since the Falcon is probably THE heroic ship of the Rebellion, don't look for it in the Scum faction anytime soon.

A ship's faction should be inherently important. If you want to fly X ship, you must choose Y faction, with all the available strengths and weaknesses.

And there are enough ships that haven't been made that we don't need to blur the lines between factions anymore.

A ship's faction should be inherently important. If you want to fly X ship, you must choose Y faction, with all the available strengths and weaknesses.

Why is that inherently so?

Otherwise the choice between which faction to play as is purely cosmetic, as everyone is reskins of the same ship. The identity of the faction becomes lost.

Otherwise the choice between which faction to play as is purely cosmetic, as everyone is reskins of the same ship. The identity of the faction becomes lost.

And I agree that it would not be my preference for that to become the case. However, it's a far cry from sharing Y-Wings, Z-95s and Firesprays to playing chess.

But it was implied that this was a question of game design, in which lore had no place. Identity is a part of lore, much more than it is of game design.

Chess is, I think, a pretty well designed game. I hear that it's still being made, despite having been designed more than ten... even twenty years ago. Also, other than repaints, it has exactly the same ships on both sides. The different ships have different movement dials from one another, but faction to faction they're the same. There are other games called Checkers and Go, where you only have one type of ship, and they're the same on both factions, with the exact same movement dials (and Go doesn't even have movement dials!). Sure, Chess, Checkers and Go don't have the same flavor and lore that X-Wing does, but as game designs, they're pretty solid.

[/pedantry]

My point is that you're exaggerating what this game 'needs' to 'inherently' have. There are choices that the game designers can make that may make the game more or less fun for more or fewer people. You guys are saying that the identities of the factions will be lost if they share a few ships here or there. You're saying that 'game design' somehow makes this imperative. I'm calling that into question. I'm saying that the identities are tied to the lore, and that lore is already in our minds by virtue of the movies and (to some of us) the EU.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

Because of faction balance. A pilot or ship that is designed to function with a particular set of variables (one faction) may not interact well with another. Look at the current meta and ask yourself, did the Rebels really need a 12 point ship?

Edited by WonderWAAAGH

Awww :(

Honestly, I think they have enough ships between Rebellion and Imperial that they could pause new ship releases for a while and do a balance pass and add some extra pilots for a bunch of existing ships.  They could also do a few tweaks here and there beyond just the ships too - I'd love to see them break the pilot skills into Elite Pilot Talents and generic Pilot Skills that any ship could take.  Deadeye and Adrenaline Rush, for example, don't really need to be restricted - a generic Scimitar Squadron Tie Bomber should be able to take Deadeye, and a Gold Squadron Y should be able to take Adrenaline Rush as a one point upgrade.