Sign in to follow this  
Sacrilege83

War of Seasons

Alternative ending, seems unclear in some of its explanation.  Anybody has any thoughts on what was written?

It would have helped if you had explained what part is unclear to you.

War of Seasons

In order to use this Alternative Ending, you you must be playing with the rest of the Woodland expansion.

When the first character reaches the Crown of Command he places 1 dark fate or 1 light fate on this card and then each character loses all of his dark fate and all of his light fate, and puts it on this card. Each character is then moved to the Forest. Instead of encountering the Forest, you gain 1 fate and take another turn.

If there is any fate on this card when a character reaches the Meeting with Destiny, then instead of resolving the Destiny effect on his Path, he must either attack Oberon in battle or Titania in psychic combat. If he is defeated, he loses all of his fate, moves to the Forest and ends his turn.

Oberon has a Strength of 10 and adds 1 to his Strength for each dark fate on this card.

Titania has a Craft of 10 and adds 1 to her Craft for each light fate on this card.

The first character to defeat Oberon or Titania wins the game!

If the highlighted part doesn't make any sense to you, just try to see the difference between "places 1 light fate or 1 dark fate" and "loses". The first fate which is "placed" is taken from the stockpile and placed either with the light or the dark side faceup. Then every character loses all of his fate and places it on the Ending card, maintaining the fate colour.

Then the race for the last space of the Woodland begins, with two probably tough bosses awaiting at the end.

Edited by The_Warlock

Hi folks,

Just to be absolutely clear on the function of this new alternate ending card I'd like to break it down with a few quotations and related questions:

When the first paragraph states that "each" character loses all of his light and dark fate to be put on this card, I assume that also includes the first person to reach the crown who put the initial light or dark fate on the card? I'm assuming this would also mean that no one would have any fate left at that particular moment.

The next statement in the same paragraph states that each character then goes to the forest(I'm assuming this also includes the first character that reached the crown)? Then, the same paragraph says "Instead of encountering the Forest, you gain 1 fate and take another turn". Does the "you" in that statement refer to the first person reaching the crown only,  effectively giving that person a head start in the race to the Meeting With Destiny space?

Lastly, the second paragraph of the card mentions if any fate is on the card you do either of the final fights. Would there be a time when there wouldn't be fate on the ending card? Perhaps if you were using it as a revealed ending? Just asking because I don't see any method or reason that the fate placed on the card would be removed.

I'm sure I'm over thinking all of this, but any help toward clarity would be appreciated.

Edited by MrBallast

When the first paragraph states that "each" character loses all of his light and dark fate to be put on this card, I assume that also includes the first person to reach the crown who put the initial light or dark fate on the card? I'm assuming this would also mean that no one would have any fate left at that particular moment.

Each character loses all of his fate, including the one who entered the Crown first. Everybody will be fateless at that particular moment.

The next statement in the same paragraph states that each character then goes to the forest(I'm assuming this also includes the first character that reached the crown)? Then, the same paragraph says "Instead of encountering the Forest, you gain 1 fate and take another turn". Does the "you" in that statement refer to the first person reaching the crown only,  effectively giving that person a head start in the race to the Meeting With Destiny space?

Yes, each character means "all of the characters".

You're right, the sentence switches from 3rd person to 2nd person with no apparent reason. "You" means the character who reached the Crown, who receives a little advantage over the others as a prize for his efforts.

This is understandable because the Ending instructions are resolved during his turn and he's the only one entitled to encounter the Forest, because he follows the rules for characters moved to another space (= they continue the turn and encounter the new space). Other characters are teleported as well but it's not their turn, so they won't encounter the Forest.

Lastly, the second paragraph of the card mentions if any fate is on the card you do either of the final fights. Would there be a time when there wouldn't be fate on the ending card? Perhaps if you were using it as a revealed ending? Just asking because I don't see any method or reason that the fate placed on the card would be removed.

No fate on the ending is impossible, you would have at least the 1 fate placed by the character who reached the Crown. Then, if every character has zero fate at that point, no more fate would be added.

The reason of the wording is that once fate is placed (= Crown of Command has been reached), characters reaching the Meeting with Destiny are going to be facing the Ending instead of resolving their Path card. As you guessed, this is most needed  when you use this Ending as a Revealed one.