Sign in to follow this  
Doc, the Weasel

Dead in the Water adventure (GM Kit): How is it?

I ran it this past weekend and the players really liked it.  It's nicely divided into three parts, making it easy to break into several sessions if you want.

Part 1 is mostly Social/negotiation

Part 2 is mostly action/combat

Part 3 is mostly adventure/investigation

There are some twists too.  Two villains (one is obvious and one is secretive).

Overall, we liked it.

Our party was a Duros smuggler, a trandoshan bounty hunter, and a human rebel commando.  Our twi'lek jedi exile was absent.  But with those three, they made it through fine!

Two different adventures from two different games, Edge of the Empire: Debts to Pay, and Age of Rebellion: Dead in the Water. Funnily enough both of them are GM Kit adventures. However they are both really good adventures and have a different form of droid revolution.

SPOILER ALERT.

The droids in Debts to Pay were droids with overdeveloped personality and faulty cores that drove a select two to coerce the rest into revolting.

In Dead in the Water, the droids were modified by the Empire as a weapon against the rebellion, so it wasn't a revolution per say but more a wolf in sheeps clothing type operation.

Resurrection because this comes up in google search and to save other players and GMs from this:

HORRIBLE silly. The whole adventure is based on the assumption that players would not suspected

imperial espionage droids in the shipping, something which is done to death in star wars, something which is standard procedure to check for and one of the reasons why droid memory wipes are still widespread within the alliance even they do not really like to kill the personalities of their droidic members over and over again, they still do it out of fear from sleeper code in those droids. And than the whole plot hook is basically that those droids will not get tested by the alliance, separately distributed, tested again, and basically turn up side down before activation. Our PCs were like, "yeah, ok we will tell you 'told you so', but please let us first leave the ship, because we want to have no part in this suicidal behavior." And the thing is full of such moments.

A forced plot hook like this is simply silly, Having no stats for a certain ship which might get into combat with the PC does not help either and if you have to adapt most of the adventure to get rid of the railroading than you might just as well write your own adventure with one of those pretty standard eu star wars plots. 

And don't get me wrong, the locations are nice, it just the the plot does not really work out. 

It was my understanding that the Alliance doesn't just turn them on and tell them to get to work. They activate themselves shortly after hyperspace jump, before the alliance has a chance to perform any memory wipes.

But perhaps I misunderstood the module.

It was my understanding that the Alliance doesn't just turn them on and tell them to get to work. They activate themselves shortly after hyperspace jump, before the alliance has a chance to perform any memory wipes.

No, you should be right about that, and they are by that time already out of a controlled environment and all over the ship. At least that was the experience we had had with it, gm was not really happy either about the setup , we were kind of spontaneous to play the module. IIRC the module explicitly stats that memory wiping and literally taking those droids apart will not show anything unusual or change anything in the outcome, because that is what we actually did with a dozen of those droids while on the way to the alliance frigate. So finding it in advanced is made impossible by the writing, even when 'impossible' difficulty checks would be likely be successful.

But hey, as I said the locations were good, and basic idea is classic star wars and with some work spend on the idea it can become something good, but with some work spend into re-writing and adventure you can make basically everything good. 

Yeah, reading it the adventure didn't sit right with.  Then again, I have read quite a bit of the Star Wars canon, played Shadowrun, and I am an Army veteran.  Standard Operating Procedures and such are one of the things that gets drilled into everyone's head.

That being said, it wouldn't take too much finagling to get it to the same point again.  It just would take some more thought out processes for the storywriter to come to the same conclusion.

mmmhhh

i was willing to run it in a couple of session; we almost completed all event seeds on Operation Shadowpoint and it's my intention to tie in dead in water before the end of OS...

it does'nt look awful, however... cool locations, good basic idea; just need some "tweaking" on some points...

the one big fault SEApocalypse could be solved by adding some extra

ie maybe the Alliance is now bringing the droids to memory-wiping facilities?

or something else

BUT

i did'nt play it yet, so i really dunno if it's good. and i'm a bit worried about what SEApocalypse is saying... i fear could be not so funny as supposed to be :\

It really is not a big drama, still funny enough, still not the quality what you would expect from a professional product, as I said the locations are good and it should be easy to come up with something for cases when the module itself breaks based on its limitations. 

As long as you prepare something for …

… the event that the PC do a triple check of the droids and simply let them find the problem in advanced it becomes a lot less silly. The silliness lies really in the authors fixation to play and DnD dungeon crawl on 

board of a Nebulon-B frigate. Ask your PCs how deep they want to check the droids, so they can pick their difficulty dice on their own, if they go with the risk of a formidable check, well give them the joy to find the problem and instead of that dungeon crawl the empire gets the hyperspace location transmitted by the droids and you build a small ship chase instead. Getting rid of the empire while having the droids is for sure a challenging task or the players could just leave the droids behind and waste millions of alliance credits, credits which could have been spend for medical supply - actually even were spend for medical supplies as those droids include medical ones. Given players choices how to deal with the problem is a great thing and then just proceed to act 3 afterward.

It really is not a big drama, still funny enough, still not the quality what you would expect from a professional product, as I said the locations are good and it should be easy to come up with something for cases when the module itself breaks based on its limitations. 

As long as you prepare something for …

… the event that the PC do a triple check of the droids and simply let them find the problem in advanced it becomes a lot less silly. The silliness lies really in the authors fixation to play and DnD dungeon crawl on 

board of a Nebulon-B frigate. Ask your PCs how deep they want to check the droids, so they can pick their difficulty dice on their own, if they go with the risk of a formidable check, well give them the joy to find the problem and instead of that dungeon crawl the empire gets the hyperspace location transmitted by the droids and you build a small ship chase instead. Getting rid of the empire while having the droids is for sure a challenging task or the players could just leave the droids behind and waste millions of alliance credits, credits which could have been spend for medical supply - actually even were spend for medical supplies as those droids include medical ones. Given players choices how to deal with the problem is a great thing and then just proceed to act 3 afterward.

That's the catch, in essence.  Even if it would require a full reprogramming, the droids are still worth their weight in credits.  Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if one or three were in passive mode in order to send information back to their masters.

I almost completed first reading of the adventure, and a question arise: in the first pages clearly states "if PC have a ship, they have to leave behind and embark on the spinster's loom"

Why? There is a reason they can't bring their ship?

I almost completed first reading of the adventure, and a question arise: in the first pages clearly states "if PC have a ship, they have to leave behind and embark on the spinster's loom"

Why? There is a reason they can't bring their ship?

(Spoilers, obviously, not gonna mark them. ;-))

Not really, my group insisted on using our own VCX-100. We understood that secrecy is important, so we let the liaison do the astrogation and he delete the coordinates of the frigate afterwards. But to be fair there is one good reason to insist on the spinter'S loom. If you have spare docking clamps, lightsabers and plasma arc welders than ignoring the whole "dungeon" and instead going either eva or classical pirate style becomes an option. If you are not in your ship than you are not caring usually gear for enter/boarding operations with you. But try to get a rigger away from her ship or try to part an astromech from his personal toolkit. Clearing the hangars was in this context the job for the mech as well, rapid decompression while the rest used the ship turrets to clean up the hangar. 

We are not great fans of dungeon crawls anyway, so that part was highly entertaining for us. Our GM was not so happy because it became an constant improvisation and skipping parts. With more preparation all this can resolved. If a GM is prepared for a group who will avoid fighting in the corridors and do instead a space walk then you can rebuild a dangerous atmosphere instead of feeling of fighting a few harmless "roger roger droids"  which are not even suited for combat. Though taking this module as comedy might work better, I mean you have those 200 or so droids and each and everyone had iirc a blaster somewhere hidden in his droid anus. A blaster which was impossible to detect even when you completely disassemble said droid and scanned every little part of it ... ok the astromechs had just their plasma arc welders, those are supposed to be there. Blasters are not. 

Edited by SEApocalypse