Sign in to follow this  
XwingNerd

Do you consider yourself to be a good player?

I am excellent at producing a gaming environment that is inviting and fun for all.

I am not very skilled at this game (just started) and have strong skills at games in general.  The more experience I have with a game, the better I am.

For this specific game, I am good at order of operations and synergy between units and pretty terrible at maneuvering.  That is why I like the game.  There is a lot to be learned from the maneuvering aspect.

Edited by klecser

Define "good player".

If a "good player" is someone who plays fairly and according to the rules, then yes, I'm a good player.

If a "good player" is someone who helps his opponent learn and become a "better player", then yes, I'm a good player.

If a "good player" is someone who tries to make the game enjoyable yet challenging to his opponent, then yes, I'm a good player.

If a "good player" is someone who wins and loses graciously, then yes, I'm a good player.

If a "good player" is someone who practices good personal hygene, then emphatically yes, I'm a good player. :P

I don't participate in the tournament scene so I don't know how I would stack up against other players. To me, personally, whether or not I can win doesn't define if I'm a "good player".

I'm good at bumping.

And hitting rocks.

And doing the wrong actions EVERY turn.

So yeah, I'm great.  ;)

Edit: Although, I've done well at the tournaments I've been too, so I guess I'm good.

Edited by tiefanatic

I think I'm getting better (but I don't think I'm good) every time I play in a tournament I learn something new. I do win a lot more than I lose (except at said tournaments above) I don't know if its stress or what but I make really stupid mistakes that I'd never do when I'm just playing normally or practicing for a tournament.

Edited by TheGreedyMerchant

I think it hit me when I played at a local tournament with some folk from a different store.  Someone asked my opponent how the game went and the response was that he got crushed.  One of my friends responded, "Yeah, that usually happens against him".  I hadn't really thought about it much at that point, but I had won most of my games and always came in 1st or 2nd in the events. 

After that, the local scene dried up and I didn't play for a while.  That's back in Wave 2.  I've been getting back into playing, but having a hard time relearning everything.  I did come in 2nd during a late Wave 3 event.  I still haven't played against B-wings enough to figure them out.  With all the ships coming out fast and furious, it's hard to get back on top and figure it all out. 

I've had fun trying out different lists that sound fun to me.  I lost my last two games, but learned a bunch and had fun with it.  I think I need a bigger base of regular players before I can get good again. 

I'd like to think I'm a good player, but honestly, I know I'm not.  Not that I'm not improving (that's a lot of nots!)

In my small group of friends I think I'm the best of us.  That being said, I'm doing everything I can to improve THEIR game so I have more of a challenge from them.  It used to be I would win most matches with my group of 3 or 4 friends who played.  That's starting to flatten for me now (which is a good thing).

Now I find my friends don't need as much help, which again is a good thing.  I can concentrate on flying and my game hoping to get better.

As for the local scene - yeah, I'm just a chump.  I seem to win about 1/4 of the games I play.  I've just joined the local League, and our first night is this Wednesday, so I'm really looking forward to flying against opponents I can't read like my friends.  I'm looking forward to seeing how other people interpret the rules, and how they apply them to their game.

I've never flown to the Meta - ever.  I fly what I think is enjoyable.  Thus far, I haven't come up against a lot of meta lists like Fat Han or Phantoms or even Tie Swarms.  I sort of hope that when I get my feet wet in the league that I'll see a lot more of these meta builds, and see if my theories are any good.

No. I guess I could be if I devoted myself, but I choose not to. I watch a lot of games of very competitive folks, and in a sense play vicariously. So I have a lot of knowledge, but not the disciplined practice. When it comes to playing, I tend to skirt away from things I know will help me win, and choose to experiment and do things that I find more enjoyable.

In terms of "getting good" at this game. How good can you actually get before you are either deluding yourself or having to "get good" at things that don't actually directly involve being good at the game? 

For instance, in addition to player skill, a major portion of game outcomes are also determined by:

• Randomness
  • Match-ups

You can do things to help mitigate those, but even with doing that they are a large part of the game.

Being a top player not only involves game skill, but also:

• Traveling (and money to do so)
  • Researching list popularity in metas
  • Managing long-day tournament fatigue
  • Praying you don't get a bad match-up
  • Praying you don't get a game of bad dice

I don't really have an interest for a lot of that.

I like to think that I have some semblance of an idea of what I'm doing. The truth is that I've only ever played myself, one of my friends, a younger cousin, my father, and my stepfather. Only my friend has his own collection. I actually have a fair win-lose record with him, but sometimes it doesn't feel all that casual. I actually think that my cousin has potential, and my dad is an okay pilot, but I almost have to re-teach the rules every time I play with my stepdad. It went that way with Magic, too. And the last three forget card abilities. So, am I a good player? I have no idea. But I think that I have some skill.

The good news? I can always learn. And have a blast doing it!

The only problem with playing my most common opponent (myself) is schizophrenia whenever I roll the dice...

"Die, Rebel scum!"

"Don't worry, Luke, I've got your back!"

"No you don't, you're trying to blow that scrapheap into dust!"

"But I LIKE that scrapheap!"

"You are an Imperial pilot! Now, get back to being ruthless and uniform and suicidal with aesthetically pleasing mini-swarm formations!"

"But X-wings are my favorite ship! And I can't just KILL Wedge Antilles! He's one of my favorite characters!"

And so on...

Edited by Sel Antilles

I said the same basic thing over in my battle report post. It bears reiteration, given the OP.

I'm still too green to know whether or not I'm good at the game. Honestly, I really don't care. I used to get all competitive when I played various games. I had some degree of success in those endeavors, but at the realization that I wasn't having that much fun. My breakthrough came at GenCon a few years ago, after winning an RPG tournament in which the name of the game was having fun over competition.

I bought into X-Wing a few months ago, and it took me until this past weekend to get my first 1-on-1 game under my belt. I never intended to get into any kind of tournament scene, but the combination of not being able to get my regular gaming group together (d*mn real life) with the insatiable desire to actually play, and an FLGS owner who's been doing his best to get me into the store for a league night, all culminated in the perfect storm that convinced me to do what I told myself I wouldn't.

I got my posterior handed to me. Twice. The thing is, I found myself playing completely different in the second game, compared to the first. I enjoyed experiencing the evolution of my game.

I believe in "Fly casual" to the extreme. I don't know that such an approach is appropriate for the tournament/league scene. I don't know if it's fair to the folks who are fully invested into that scene. I'm not playing for store championships;I'm playing because I love the game. Am I a good player right now? No. I'm too new to associate that adjective with my game. I try out lists I think I'll enjoy playing, regardless of how they fit into the prevailing meta. If it doesn't work, which it didn't, I'm not going to give up on the list. I'm going to try it again, because I did, in fact, have fun with it. Maybe one of these days, I'll progress to the point where I can give some of those guys a legitimate run for their money, unusual list and all. Meanwhile, I'm going to focus on flying casual and having fun... Oh, and I'm going to make sure that I'm d*mn good at both.

I'm good for a beginner... in my limited circle.  ;)  I've only been playing for about a month and the only game I've lost was my first game. However, I've only played 3 people (multiple times each.) Two of those are my kids (18 and 12) and they have limited rebel pieces to choose from since I play Empire. (The other player has a Falcon and more rebel ships.)

I did fly my normal pieces pretty well, with few bumps/scraps/near misses/pile ups; however, my first and so far only game flying a Lambda was a huge fiasco. I still won, but every turn that freakin' cow was either bumping a ship or landing on an asteroid.

I just found a store that has weekly games, but it's an hour away. I am planning on going there to see how I do against other people.

To answer your follow up question, I am playing 2-3 games a week.