Sign in to follow this  
XwingNerd

Do you consider yourself to be a good player?

If by "good" you mean 2 heads and 5 shoulders above all the other players in my local group, then yes, I'm good. That's mainly because I'm the only one to take time to seriously study the game and strategies etc. If you mean in a real tourney setting I have no idea; never played one. I'm probably a terrible player lol. However, I do have a good grasp of strategy and excellent spatial awareness (in mini gaming anyway, not IRL). Hopefully I'll be able to attend next year's Store Championships (must have that Soontir alt art!!!) so we will see how good I really am.

Nope! Hardly any opponents so not many games, and not much variety in. Opponent skill and style in the games I do play. I don't practice repeatedly using the same squad or strategy, so I never perfect anything myself either.

Just good enough to be disappointed! I won a fairly large store championship going in with low expectations, thinking getting the range ruler was a ridiculous goal. It was awesome, but I kind of wish I could go back to that way of thinking. Guess I'll not take my all bomber list out to a tournament any time soon....

I used to think I was great. Flying a TIE swarm with zero collisions, ace-ing my first three tournaments in first place, it was a nice feeling. Then the waves started to pick up, my swarm list lost to another swarm list flown by a better player, and not always winning with a list I thought was great has made me realize I wasn't as fantastic as I thought I was.

Now I'm merely good. I came around what, forth place? in the last tournament. Placing above halfway is satisfactory for me nowadays.

Edited by Norsehound

That's interesting. I'm also finding that smaller lists are a lot harder for me. Unlike a lot of people who enjoyed the swarm, I wasn't as good at the jousting bit (which is what people seem to think is most powerful about them), but would often pull ahead once the formations got mixed up. The turn when the ties break and I have to do 7 different maneuvers, block, and keep people close to Howlrunner was the most fun by far. Seems like I'm a lot better at planning for lots of different possibilities, but when it's predicting where a single ship, or a single block of ships, is going to go I get stuck in over-thinking mode and have a lot more trouble. 

I am just good enough to pose a threat and luck my way into top4-8 of big tournaments in most games. Needless to say I am really bad just able to luck sack hard.

LUCK™ is a skill.

Picture18.png

I'm a good player, I wouldn't call myself a great player.

Edited by Eltnot

It's pretty hard to judge how good a player you are at an international level. Locally I win much more than I lose, I know the rules pretty well, and I'm fairly good at judging distances etc; so I'd say I'm an ok player. My group of opponents is a pretty small sample size though. If they're much better than average, I'm pretty awesome. If they are much worse than average, then I'm pretty crap. Most likely though, they're around about average and so am I :)

For me it depends. In my game group im good. In the Richmond area id say im above average (usually top 4). I wont really know how good I am regionally until after next years store championships. I do know who near me is consistently better and enjoy playing against them.

Edit: I was at a store championship and pa regionals last year and I was definitely in the bottom half. I did have a blast though.

Edited by CJKeys

I'm good enough to know that I need to improve.

My list building is average. I get caught in the "I want this combo to work" more than I should, but I'm smart enough to avoid obvious bad builds.

My flying is poor, but also the one that's improving the fastest with each game I play. I'm getting a lot better at judging distances, and guessing my opponents flight paths. I'm not planning many moves a head yet.

My strategic planning needs improvement. I don't do enough to exploit my opponents weaknesses. I don't force my opponent in to tough situations enough.

My luck is fickle, but overall, I think it's pretty average. :P

A game in only a game if both people are having fun.. otherwise it becomes a maths exercise with card and plastic aids.

While i only perhaps wing 50 per cent of my games.  I'd consider myself a 'good' players as I try and make the game fun for myself and my opponent.

I'd like to think i'm sporting, honest and humourous.

To me that makes a 'good player', not their win/loss ratio.

No. I'm not very good at list building so I typically copy ideas from other people. I tend to have poor to no luck.

Most importantly, I tend to take big risks in hopes of big payouts. For example, at regionals, I was flying 3B2A against a Fat Chewie list. I hung both A-Wings out as bait (both with an asteroid between them and my opponent). I've used this strategy a number of times and it usually works out in my favor. My opponent proceeded to 1-shot one of them that round and one the next round. I didn't win that game, but if my opponent's luck had been the other direction, I could've killed his support quickly while he chased the A-Wings.

What I am really good at is estimating distances and flight locations. I'm pretty good at picking out the targeting priority as well.

Not at all. Though I only have ten or so games under my belt and have been playing for three weeks. Really I'm not concerned with becoming top tier or anything. For myself and my friends, x-wing is our casual beer and pretzels game. If we're doing competitve we have Warmachine or infinity to turn to.

Yes. I do.

But then again; so does just about everyone else. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Possibly relevant to this thread: Dunning-Kruger cuts both ways. People on the left side of a bell curve consistently overrate their position, but those on the right side of the curve often underestimate themselves instead (related to imposter syndrome--they tend to think the tasks just aren't very hard, rather than that they're very good).

Personally, I can usually count on making the top half of a big tournament, but I wouldn't bet on more than that.

I'm fine. Won some smaller tournaments (Imdaar/store champ level), but there hasn't been a large scale tournament within reasonable distance in the last year or so to find out how I'd fare. I've held my own (some wins, some losses) against some locals who actually travel and do well at regionals/nationals/worlds and/or Vassal tourneys. I'd like to try, so maybe regionals for the Pacific NW won't be 400 miles away next year.

Edited by R2ShihTzu

I'd rate myself average at best.  Part of the issue is the popularity of X-Wing here in my community compared to other games.  Fewer matches and a smaller pool of opponents limits your potential and dulls the skills you might naturally have.   The follow-on question I'd have for this thread is, "how often do you play X-Wing in a given week or month?"

I win a lot more than I lose.  I have just as much fun losing as I do winning.  I'm good enough to know that I can be even better, I even know how I would need to improve to be the "best I can be".  And even those things are just flash-points and feelings.

The only thing I really know is that I'm a better student of the game than most.  I read up on it a lot, try out experimental lists, develop lists and theories and test them, walk through my battles and examine errors win or lose, and yet I play less often than I would like to.  I can keep my mind sharp and hope my piloting skills don't atrophy too much between matches.  

Edited by Rakky Wistol