Sign in to follow this  
XwingNerd

Do you consider yourself to be a good player?

At what point do you consider yourself to be a cut above the rest? At what point do you care just slightly more about kicking ass and taking names than having fun? Or do you consider X-wing fun because you're just so good about kicking ass and taking names?

Yes. I do.

But then again; so does just about everyone else. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

I think this answered it for everyone! Those of us wise enough, know how good we really are, while those not wise enough, think they are awesome as well! :D

Ran into this at a tourney, guy pulls out 7 ties with a big grin on his face (guess he beat his group at his local league night). I pull out 2 BH with gunner and a doom shuttle. 2 rounds of firing and he had 4 ties left and I had all 3 of my ships. 2 more rounds and he surrendered haha. So yes some people do think they are better but they "usually" wise up.

I think I'm pretty good. Or did until I went to nationals. There I realized that maybe I was only top 33% of players skill level wise on a good day, probably only top half any given day. And that's knowing that one tourney is a single data point skewed by a few factors like lists and dice.

But I know I'm really good at producing a fun time in game. My friends laugh, I get new players into the group after playing with them, I go home happy and relaxed after game nights. I'll take it.  :P

I used to think I was pretty good. Playing mostly local events. Usually 1st or 2nd. Usually undefeated. Then I went into the big city to play Assault at Imdaar Alpha tournament with 20+ guys. I placed 10th and had no answer for a shop that was big enough to not have a meta as much.

When you see the same 4-6 faces every week I think it gives you false results on just how good or amazing your builds are.

I think I am a good player within our local group as I have won or placed in the top 3 every tournament, with the exception of one.

I am a fly casual guy, I usually never cared much with meta, just flew what I liked and tried to fly it well.

I got to watch nationals at Gencon and realized I was not that good.  Since watching nationals I have taken more pride in my ships and list building.  Though still not a super-competitive player, I feel like I have improved since then.

I think that I will never consider myself a master at anything. The path of learning is walked by everyone, skilled and unskilled alike, regardless of experience. In fact I think the only difference between having note experience is knowing how to distinguish between what is important to learn and what is filler.

I think I'm good, but not the best. The reason I think that is due my spatial awareness and how quickly I picked up the game versus others around me. Also I think how you play a game has to do with this. Do you charge straight at your enemy? Do you have a strategy? A plan? Does your plan begin when the dials are set? Or during asteroid placement? Or even before the game begins?

I will always have a bias towards myself until I get my butt handed to me repeatedly, and even then I will attribute it to a fault of my own. I try to stray away from delusions of grandeur, however I'm a firm believer that when you think positively then it changes your perception and you eventually become what you have convinced yourself you are.

I think I've killed more ships by running them into asteroids them my oppenets have shot down.   I have fun, but I'm the 55 in the good player's 55-0 win/loss record.

I consider myself an honorable player. That's more important than anything else.

Yeah, I rewound a game state in Nationals because I realized after dials were half down his Z-95 hadn't shot...at range one. :( I lost my lead blocker to that attack and quickly lost the game there after. I would like to say I slept well that night but back at the hotel I was sharing stories and in telling the tale of game one that day I realized there was a simultaneous fire trigger that my opponent missed with a HLC B-Wing. I didn't even think about it since it was nationals but after some hind sight realized he was actually probably really new and might not have even known. I won by a good margin but that shot could have changed the tables considerably so felt like crap the rest of the night. Still feel bad about it and it was over a month ago. There were a lot of times I gave 'good play' suggestions too that maybe I shouldn't have. Honor can be such a burden -_-

I've considered myself skilled for quite a while and even had outside praise to back it up (so it was not all my misconception); but I never considered myself better than everyone, simply because I can recognize the advantage players have that have been playing the game longer and more frequently than I have...

But recently I've been humbled a lot at the table ... and I can't explain this fully with my reluctance to play the lists everyone agrees on to be superior (I don't like to field the Phantom for example), that I had taken any wildly ineffective combo or with the learning curve of my opponents...

Edited by 0rph3u5

My win/loss ratio among the group of friends I play with is pretty bad, but ventures to tourneys outside of my immediate area has revealed that I am actually able to do decently in competitive games. Sometimes, it's all in who you lose to :).

I would say I'm above average in list-building and in-game tactics like targeting priority, setup and asteroid placement

And below average in flying and maneuvering. Overall i think the former overcomes the latter tho. I put up good lists and generally execute good, aggressive game plans but I also fairly regularly screw up and land on asteroids or bump ships and shoot myself in the foot.

I win much more than a lose, and I fly pretty darn casual; I'm not a hard liner when it comes to opponents retracting moves or wanting the benefit of the doubt on something.

So, I'd say I'm good. Better than average but I've not really played many games against many different opponents, either, so that's probably a large part of it.

In our local group there are 3 of us who have pretty similar win/loss ratios, we are the regulars. There are a couple of other players who can't make every session who do well too. I'd say we're all on a par.

When I have taken part in tournaments with players outside of our local group I usually manage to get into the elimination rounds. I'very not yet finished first but have a couple of 2nd places.

This weekend I will be going to regionals so I will probably get a better idea of where I sit.

I just enjoy playing, it is always good to play other players from other areas.

Edited by Euph3m1sm