Sign in to follow this  
TheBossInTheWall

Cthonian

I think the Cthonian's ability should exclude players in St. Mary's Hospital or Arkham Asylum. Being knocked unconcious or temporarily insane the turn that its ability is activated is a bit too much I think. Losing half clue tokens/items twice in one turn, too much. Thoughts?

TheBossInTheWall said:

I think the Cthonian's ability should exclude players in St. Mary's Hospital or Arkham Asylum. Being knocked unconcious or temporarily insane the turn that its ability is activated is a bit too much I think. Losing half clue tokens/items twice in one turn, too much. Thoughts?

Er the same turn you were unconcious/temporarily insane the chotnian's ability is activated causing you to be unconcious again.

DH expansion adds a new monster "colour out of space"   basically like Cthonians, for sanity.

I know it seems a bit unfair but...   yeah,  that often makes Cthonians target priority #1.  if you get DH, you can avoid that trap with the Injury/Madness cards.

TheBossInTheWall said:

Hey guys,

Me personnal thought is that I was sure Chtonian ability did only affect investigators in streets... not locations. So that the case you're mentionning shouldn't even occur. Am I wrong ?

Hem said:

Hey guys,

Me personnal thought is that I was sure Chtonian ability did only affect investigators in streets... not locations. So that the case you're mentionning shouldn't even occur. Am I wrong ?

Chtonians (and Colors Out of Space) affect all investigators "in Arkham". Basically, if you're not in the OWs, you will get rumbled or brain-sucked.

Dam said:

Chtonians (and Colors Out of Space) affect all investigators "in Arkham". Basically, if you're not in the OWs, you will get rumbled or brain-sucked.

You're also safe if you're Lost in Time and Space (not technically an OW, not technically in Arkham either).

The Cthonian ability isn't that bad, because it happens in the Mythos phase; you get 'no further encounters that turn', but it's the last phase of the turn anyway. So it doesn't delay you much more. If you're already in the hospital, then you'll be able to pay for healing or move away just as quickly as you would have been able to anyway (although of course you might have to discard some more stuff).

Dam said:

Hem said:

Hey guys,

Right Dam, thank you, you were right, my bad. Plus I could see you were twice right with yesterday's game : two Chtonians yelled at the same time, double bang on our four invests's stamina. Arkham streets resonated like hell at that moment, we could SO picture the story.

I know that all expansion boards count as being efected when something states "all in arkham", but does that go for cthorians and color out of space too ?

thecorinthian said:

Dam said:

You're also safe if you're Lost in Time and Space (not technically an OW, not technically in Arkham either).

The Cthonian ability isn't that bad, because it happens in the Mythos phase; you get 'no further encounters that turn', but it's the last phase of the turn anyway. So it doesn't delay you much more. If you're already in the hospital, then you'll be able to pay for healing or move away just as quickly as you would have been able to anyway (although of course you might have to discard some more stuff).

thecorinthian said:

Dam said:

You're forgetting when you become unconscious you lose half your clue tokens and items. So that happening twice in one turn is a bit much i'd say.

TheBossInTheWall said:

You're forgetting when you become unconscious you lose half your clue tokens and items. So that happening twice in one turn is a bit much i'd say.

Or just take an Injury/Madness card.

TheBossInTheWall said:

I didn't forget that - I mentioned it at the end of my post. I just didn't think it was that harsh.

You won't have had any opportunity to gain more items, so if your games are anything like mine, you're unlikely to be discarding more than one more item.

StarBurn said:

I know that all expansion boards count as being efected when something states "all in arkham", but does that go for cthorians and color out of space too ?

Yes, the phrase "in Arkham" is defined to include the expansion boards in the rulebook. It doesn't exclude monsters, so they can similarly affect all expansion boards.