Sign in to follow this  
aaronscho

Storage

One of the most popular choices are tackle boxes by Plano.  You can find them at any outdoor type store, and I even think at Walmart.  There are different options and different cases.  I've seen some tall enough to hold the large ships in the trays.  I have one that holds 4 regular trays and the top is open.  I can fit the Tantive IV, Falcon, and Shuttle in the top.  Not sure what I'm going to do when I get the Rebel Transport....

Battlefoam is the expensive super nice way to do it.

http://us.battlefoam.com/star-wars-1/

You can do the pre-designed trays, or custom make trays to fit your needs. Or just get pick and pluck foam and put it in a case of theirs. I'm super happy with mine. Crazy good protection and storage density. There are way more affordable options, so be ready for sticker shock.

I got a custom Battlefoam bag in the past couple weeks. I've taken some pictures and plan to do a review posting. I've found it's very, very good, but I had one small issue with the overall result.

I will be getting a second bag from BF.

Jacob

http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/home-storage-c1/bedroom-and-bathroom-organisation-c16/jewellery-storage-boxes-c38/38cm-5-02-hobby-craft-bits-and-bobs-18-compartment-organiser-plastic-box-p320

Made to match. Models fit on their stands or in their original plastic tray in the holes of this thing. Plus it fits both card sizes.

i like this for a cheap quick small ship storage

Ok I love my Battlefoam but it obsoletes itself everytime a new wave comes out.  I bought in with the P.A.C.K 216 and a couple of trays covering me up to wave 3.  Now I have a Corvette, GR-75 and a few wave 4 ships.   Thinking of going the custom route... but then Scum will come along and I'll be screwed again... <sigh>

KR all the way for me, although I feel the token, ship dial , card base tray is a waste of time

I put all the tokens in a small compartment box, the ship cards and dials in with each ship

Works well :-)

http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/home-storage-c1/bedroom-and-bathroom-organisation-c16/jewellery-storage-boxes-c38/38cm-5-02-hobby-craft-bits-and-bobs-18-compartment-organiser-plastic-box-p320

Made to match. Models fit on their stands or in their original plastic tray in the holes of this thing. Plus it fits both card sizes.

i like this for a cheap quick small ship storage

I cut 0.5mm foam to fit in each of the 8 main compartments. I don't like removing the ships from the bases and the cool thing about the foam lining the bottom of the tray is that when you close the lid, the base of the ship presses slightly into the foam, so the ship stays put meaning you don't need to line the edges of the compartment.

The only small ship that doesn't fit whilst on its base is the Hwk. The only large ship that fits is the Fire spray. I need to look through this company's other offerings to fit my large and huge ship requirements.

I also like that a couple of these trays fit easily into an over the shoulder bag so you don't have to walk around with a brief case or toolbox.

Cheapskates like me cut out foam from a mattress:

wGL4XIo.jpg

You're the first guy with a similar setup to mine. I might consider redoing mine in a few weeks to fit in wave 5, so I have a few questions on your specific method, maybe I can find something to refine my own.

• How do you cut them out, exacto-knife?
  • I like the way the TIE fighters are put together, it saves a lot of space. How did you obtain the shapes, do you just eyeball them or do you have cardboard cut-outs?
  • Do you have any problems with fitting X-wings vertically? Mine almost come out on the other side on a 5cm width foam.

My foam is also just 5 cm, but I do two things to make it hold together:

1. I cut variable depth for the different areas of a ship (just roughly). It's easiest to see on the big ship cutouts below. That way I don't end up with a big thin area.
  2. For some ships it does get a little thin though, like the YT-1300, so I've glued a big sheet of thin hard plastic on the bottom of the foam.

mp3RJJ8.jpg

I just place the ships on the foam, and draw around them with a pencil. You can do it lightly, so it's not visible after cutting.

For the actual cutting I just use an utility knife: I pop the blade out to match the deepest part of the ship, then retract to the second deepest, and so on. For the big flat areas, I've bend a cheap steak-knife 90 degrees. It's not necessary, but quicker.

If you happen to rip a wall of foam, you can easily just superglue it back together.

QKP15Fe.jpg

Protip to keep sanity: Listen to an X-Wing podcast, or something good, while doing it ;)

Edited by Malmer

I don't cut at variable depth for my ships. If a ship doesn't fit nicely or I haven't calculated precisely the bottom, I start ripping away small parts of foam until it fits.

I like the silhouettes though. I use cardboard approximations of the ships, and the result isn't as nice.

I might also start putting them more chaotically, since organizing ships seems to waste a lot of space. Maybe if I had silhouettes scanned I could pre-plan the whole thing for optimum placement, but I don't think I have the patience to do that.

Your foam might be a bit more sturdy than mine. I can't afford not to leave as much material in there, to keep some of the structure intact; my last tray cut was more rough, and it got very flimsy, very fast.