Sign in to follow this  
Pedro Lunaris

How much do you charge for Spaceport?

Hi all,

Something that is bothering me is the lack of prices for services in Edge of Empire. For a universe based on traveling and trading, there isn't many references on how to charge the PCs for staying in a planet or space station, for eating and drinking and so on. One thing that is coming again and again is how much do I charge them for a garage in a spaceport. Do anyone has thoughts in this matter?

Thanks for your advice and experiences.

If you want to nickel and dime them, and keep track of every credit.

my players do a lot of drop point shipments.  I figure the profit per unit of encumbrance, and ignore docking fee's and refuel/restock.

I use a lot of the numbers from WEG "Galaxy Guide 6; Tramp Freighters"

Without a cargo to offset the costs

My Docking fees are 50-150 credits/day.  Depending on how busy it is, and the type of space port

refuel/restock 10-35 credit base fee per person per day.

• (base fee x (crew+passengers capacity) x days of travel)

after about 20 jumps the hyperdrive starts needing maintenance.  1000-5000 credits depending on how hard you are on it, and the mods

Usually if they want to gather information, they at LEAST need to but a drink at the local cantina.  5-15 credits.

But mundane costs such as food, drink, sanitary wipes, consumable hygine items i don't bother with.

I vary it based on the nature of the location. They visited Ord Mantell and the price was like 500 credits to dock, and like 100 credits per day or something like that.

Then they visited a planet which was both fancier and had less traffic. So the base was around 2000 credits to dock and 500 credits per day or so.

Thanks a lot guys.

kinnison, what you listed as dock fees (50-150 creds/day) you charge per character, or is it the cost for a ship?

How much are you awarding your players for a regular profitable mission?

How much would you give them for a ship's cargo hold full of moderately profitable minerals?

Is anyone using some house rules for trading with materials that the current books doesn't describe?

There was a sheet, I believe made by Darian Ocana, that I found quite useful for starship management.  It has some info for fuel usage, docking fees, provisions, and maintenance.  It had some suggestions on how to implement dice roll results to adjust prices.

I looked around a bit here and found some of the posts for it, but the links to the sheet appear to be dead.  Not sure if anyone else has an existing link to a copy.  I will see if I can find my copy and make it available.

Thanks a lot guys.

kinnison, what you listed as dock fees (50-150 creds/day) you charge per character, or is it the cost for a ship?

How much are you awarding your players for a regular profitable mission?

How much would you give them for a ship's cargo hold full of moderately profitable minerals?

Is anyone using some house rules for trading with materials that the current books doesn't describe?

The docking fee covers a single ship/Docking bay.

as for actual trading.  Mine is a work in progress, i need to redo my sectors Export/Import commodities.

But this is a great link for some ideas

http://donjon.bin.sh/scifi/swfj/ 

(just figure 1.65 encumbrance per ton)

and don't forget the loan shark and insurance!

My group actually just ignores docking costs, just like food, supplies, fuel, and other incidentals. We just assume that the amount we're getting paid for jobs is more than what we receive. There's an unspoken percentage that's for operating costs. For example, when the GM says we made 10,000 we actually made 12,000 but 2,000 will be spent on living expenses. Those numbers aren't important in our games so we gloss over them. The only credits we keep track of are for gear, weapons, armor, and specific purchases while on an adventure. (such as buying drinks for a bar to earn an informant's respect/attention.)

My group actually just ignores docking costs, just like food, supplies, fuel, and other incidentals. We just assume that the amount we're getting paid for jobs is more than what we receive. There's an unspoken percentage that's for operating costs. For example, when the GM says we made 10,000 we actually made 12,000 but 2,000 will be spent on living expenses. Those numbers aren't important in our games so we gloss over them. The only credits we keep track of are for gear, weapons, armor, and specific purchases while on an adventure. (such as buying drinks for a bar to earn an informant's respect/attention.)

I think this is a great way of playing to prevent loss of time with things that doesn't matter much. The thing is, my group is actually aiming in considering this things as part of the roleplaying, since some of the characters are focused in ship maintanence - the ship itself is central to the group we have - and another character is a smuggler and her player is wanting to bring trade rolls to the game - between sessions. So I want to give some thoughts and put some money and mechanics into this.

What is on the background of this questions is the fact that I don't get a good picture of what is too few and what is too many as reward for adventures - speaking moneywise. Some references make me think that what's regular is dealing with large numbers, others that keeping numbers short and putting the characters without many resources is the best thing to do. So I'm wanting to know how some of you are dealing with this issues.

Thanks a lot Bran_Waynero! If you find it, or if someone here has it, it will be a big help!

Thanks again kinnison!

My PCs got a deal when the visited the space station around the Fire Rings of Fornax... I think I only charged then about 45 credits to dock with that station. (Although, in stead of paying, one of them decided to slice the computer and they got in for free!)

the core EotE book has this info in the law section as a template:

Basic landing / decontamination fee: Silhouette x 15Cr

Berthing: 10% per day

Customs: 1% of all cargo delivered or taken aboard

Discrepancies: 20% of missing value

Departure: Specific path and schedule

Ship weapon use: forbidden planetside or in system (fines/imprisonment)

Visitation fee: Sentients 5Cr. No fees for droids (droids must be fitted with a restraining bolt - manumitted exempt)

Jewel of Yavin has a listed docking fee. I would have assumed as it's Cloud City that space would be at a premium and it would be costly but the book says this:

"Port fees are low to encourage tourists and traders, only 25 credits for the first day and 15 credits per day thereafter for any starship up to Silhouette 4 or 40 credits for the first day and 20 for each additional day thereafter for larger starships".

So we have a guide in that.

I would normally not focus on this that much but my upcoming adventure, docking fees and lack of cash are going to be a plot point.

If anyone has any information / suggestions on hyperspace fuel costs / capacities, that would be really useful to me for my game!

Edited by knasserII

Here's what Tramp Freighters had to say about the matter:

MUNDANE COSTS:

Docking fees

These vary from spaceport to  spaceport, but most spaceport Standard class or larger charge 50 credits per day. A busy Imperial Costs might charge 150 credits a day

Standard Maintenance and restocking:

Standard restock includes replenishment for all fluids - water, lubricants, coolants and oxygen. Also included are basic proteins for autochefs, but not luxury items like fresh food or liquor.

Cost is a flat fee depending on the total crew and passenger capacity of the ship times the "consumables" in days (10 x Total capacity x Consumables)

Fuel

Spaceports can equipped with fusion generators that recharge fuel cells. At the slowest rate of charge, this costs next to nothing, but if called upon to recharge quickly, the costs increase rapidly. The following costs reflects most Standard Class star ports. It is likely to be cheaper at better class ports and more expensive at more primitive ports:

Charging Rate - Cost per cell

Trickle (1 cell/day) - 5 credits

Standard (1 cell/hour) - 10 credits

Fast (4 cells/hour) - 50 credits

Emergency (20 cells/hour) - 500 credits

Most stock light freighters are equipped with 50 fuel cells