Sign in to follow this  
SpikeSpiegel

What Is Your Favorite Ship?

What's your favorite ship? Also, try explain in your best detail as to why it is your favorite, which pilot you like to use, your experiences you've had with it and how you use it in battle. 

As of right now, my favorite ship is the E-Wing, especially flying it as Corran Horn. I see it come under a lot of scrutiny, specifically arguments such as "Imperials are better" without enough comparative analysis as to how that argument can be justified. Prior to the E-Wing, my favorite ship was the Super Falcon (aka Fat Han/Han Shoots First) because of how simple and powerful it is to fly. But when I started complimenting my Han list with Corran in my tournament two-ship build, I've been more impressed with the E-Wing than any other ship I've flown, even Echo's Phantom. 

I can see where a lot of people are turned off by the E-Wing: Overpriced and not enough Hull to be chewed on when the shields are gnawed off. I feel like this is where people lose out on a lot of opportunities to see this ship to be as versatile as it can be. It comes with a Sensors slot AND an Astromech slot, already combining the arguably best upgrade (Sensors) in the game with a Rebel-only upgrade. Advanced Sensors + Push the Limit allows you to set up a green maneuver, do your two actions and clear the stress from PtL in the same turn, and since there is an Astromech slot, you can run the combo on the PS3 pilot with R2-D6. Similarly, you can run AdvS. + PtL + R2-D2 for all the value. Also, combining the Fire-Control System with the R7 Astromech allows your E-Wing to survive a little longer. And all of those combos just get silly when thrown on Corran Horn.

I would say, my favorite part about the E-Wing is its dial. Muhammed Ali once said, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." The E-Wing's maneuverability, along with its stats, to me, really reflects that quote. Grace and power. However, the E-Wing requires a little more thought and skill to fly effectively. You can't afford to land it with three firing arcs pointed at you, which is why I love how zippy it is. Personally, I think its best application is using it as a flanker, to swing around the your main force in order to break up the opponent's game plan or to come around for an ambush once they've engaged your other ships. And with Corran, the 5 straight comes in handy after double tapping a ship off the table.

Overall, the versatility and maneuverability of the E-Wing is what makes it my favorite ship in this game. I want to say TIE Interceptors are the closest thing to it, but even then, they aren't as challenging to fly and they don't offer nearly as much versatility compared to the E-Wing. 

So, what's yours?

I still gotta go with the old, reliable X-wing. This ship is still a mainstay of nearly all the squads I play on a regular basis because it's a reasonably fast hard-hitting tiger of a ship. It's not as maneuverable as the TIE Interceptor or as heavily armed as the Phantom, but it's reasonably costed and still performs well in modern squads.

TIE Defender

It is one of the most versitile ship around, though on a rather low PS values (which I can get behind from a balancing stand-point). It's got well rounded stats and a dial that allows great degrees of freedom without being too good. It can do the usual TIE shoot- 90°-180°-shoot again but with less of a fuss, as it can usually do it without taking on stress and the related penalties. And so far it is the only Imperial ship I've flown that is reliable against superior numbers (thought you have to be careful).

Usually I fly Rexler Brath with Predator (if the points allow it, I also pack a HLC). Rexler circumvents a lot of the systems in place for enemies to mitage crits from their fat big ships (and the HLC's restriction on crits too) if he can strike hull - which is only draw-back as his high PS means he doesn't get to for at least 2 turns. This however is a good trade-off for restoring some justice to the game against "Let the Wookie win"-lists, fast-killing TIE Swarms and breaking one or two Bounty Hunters. I look forward to him shreding one or two Decimators by the end of the year.

Often I pair Rexler with Vessery with VI (Ion Cannon if the points allow it), though that will change once Ruthlessness is a legal card choice. Vessery is one of the best carriers for abilites that require you to hit the enemy to take effect but only if you pair him off with a good supporting ship that has the target lock action (e.g. OGP with Weapons Expert).

Edited by 0rph3u5

A-wings, all day every day. They're the fastest and most maneuverable ships in the Rebel Alliance. After playing a few simulator games with it I quickly fell for its superior maneuverability and missiles. They were the reason I started playing this game. It's gone so far that I've received the nickname Tycho from the local community, which is also my favorite pilot. You never know where they'll end up, and especially Tycho who disregards stress and can do all but k-turns each round.

Also the reactions from people when they realise they'll be playing against 3 A-wings. At first they are surprised as, well, people generally don't hold them in that high regard, later they get frustrated, or just beaten, when they can't hit them or see the game slip away from them as they lose ship after ship from being outmaneuvered.

Spike, thanks for your insights on the E-wing.  I was also thinking about what the generics could be used for.  I'm considering house ruling them down in cost two points too.

I don't have a favorite, but I really like using the ships that aren't used too often.  Bombers, HWKs, low PS interceptors.

Edited by Blail Blerg

My FAVORITE ship is the Firespray (Boba Fett). Mainly because I loved the ship and character in the movies and books, and I wasn't disappointed when he showed up in the game. I normally kit him out with a Navigator and Boost which I find gives him quite a bit of unpredictabiltiy during movement. <shrugs> It works for me anyway. Much Like Joe Boss said, I'm really looking foward to having the "Real Boba Fett please stand up" with the release of Most Wanted.

That being said my "go to" ship is probably the Interceptor. I find myself using it in most games that I play. I'm trying to wean myself off that 'crutch' and use other ships to get some variety, but I keep going back to it. For me it has the speed and maneuverabilty that I want along with a decent amount of firepower. As I mostly play Imperials (seeing as most of my opponents refuse to play them... :rolleyes: ) I don't have a lot of experience with the Rebel side. Once I do, my opinon may change.

Tie defender fell in love with it in the tie fighter game and it's expansion.

It looks threatening and deadly and it is.

I started in wave three but I already knew defender was on its way and I was so happy when they finally came out almost every game since then has featured a defender in some form.

I love em my friend hates em so win win.

What's your favorite ship? Also, try explain in your best detail as to why it is your favorite, which pilot you like to use, your experiences you've had with it and how you use it in battle. 

As of right now, my favorite ship is the E-Wing, especially flying it as Corran Horn. I see it come under a lot of scrutiny, specifically arguments such as "Imperials are better" without enough comparative analysis as to how that argument can be justified. Prior to the E-Wing, my favorite ship was the Super Falcon (aka Fat Han/Han Shoots First) because of how simple and powerful it is to fly. But when I started complimenting my Han list with Corran in my tournament two-ship build, I've been more impressed with the E-Wing than any other ship I've flown, even Echo's Phantom. 

I can see where a lot of people are turned off by the E-Wing: Overpriced and not enough Hull to be chewed on when the shields are gnawed off. I feel like this is where people lose out on a lot of opportunities to see this ship to be as versatile as it can be. It comes with a Sensors slot AND an Astromech slot, already combining the arguably best upgrade (Sensors) in the game with a Rebel-only upgrade. Advanced Sensors + Push the Limit allows you to set up a green maneuver, do your two actions and clear the stress from PtL in the same turn, and since there is an Astromech slot, you can run the combo on the PS3 pilot with R2-D6. Similarly, you can run AdvS. + PtL + R2-D2 for all the value. Also, combining the Fire-Control System with the R7 Astromech allows your E-Wing to survive a little longer. And all of those combos just get silly when thrown on Corran Horn.

I would say, my favorite part about the E-Wing is its dial. Muhammed Ali once said, "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." The E-Wing's maneuverability, along with its stats, to me, really reflects that quote. Grace and power. However, the E-Wing requires a little more thought and skill to fly effectively. You can't afford to land it with three firing arcs pointed at you, which is why I love how zippy it is. Personally, I think its best application is using it as a flanker, to swing around the your main force in order to break up the opponent's game plan or to come around for an ambush once they've engaged your other ships. And with Corran, the 5 straight comes in handy after double tapping a ship off the table.

Overall, the versatility and maneuverability of the E-Wing is what makes it my favorite ship in this game. I want to say TIE Interceptors are the closest thing to it, but even then, they aren't as challenging to fly and they don't offer nearly as much versatility compared to the E-Wing. 

So, what's yours?

Soontir fell/ interceptor or the Shuttle.

I usually start with an OGP naked and work a list out from there.

Various Corran builds. I've only played a tiny fraction of games without this ship.

Ptl FCS r2d2 is a beast late-game.

VI r3a2 FCS EU is a Soontir/Whisper hard counter.

AdvS ptl r7t1 can do things that should kill most human pilots.

This ship is just a different animal than anything else in the game. The double-tap with FCS makes him a real threat to anything with less than 5 hp.

No, the Z-95. It looks sweet like a mix between an x-wing and a fighter jet, but it loses two of its wings for better aerodynamics and less surface area to shoot.

It loses two of the guns too than an x-Wing would have, but it's ok. It only needs one to get headshots. Thus, its name "headhunter."

"Z" may be the 26th letter in the alphabet, but it's #1 in our hearts!

I have to admit I like the lowly Tie Fighter.  I'm not really a swarm player (though some can say mini-swarm).  I don't like Howlrunner as she just gets a big target on her and I'm not invested in going through the efforts to save her.  I just love the cheap and agile Tie Fighter.  I forget how many matches has been one or two ties vs. one last Rebel ship.  With the manueverability, I can just dance all day and fire with my lowly 2 red dice.  I usually get them in the end...usually.

There are also a large variety of special pilots for the Tie Fighter.  I like using them and find even the unloved guys useful.