Sign in to follow this  
switch8383

dice towers vs hand rolling in x wing

What is a dice tower?

It looks like this.  You drop the dice in the top.  It makes it less likely that the dice will fall off the table and prevents the occasional off roll (like when you roll the dice and they just land and don't roll).  I dislike them, its like eating pizza with a fork and knife.

il_340x270.327384128.jpg

Edited by Jobu

Using a tower should provide more random results which it turn means more average results.

There have been a number of discussion on various die rolling methods which can be used to reduce variation and/or maximize results.  If you avoid hand tossing the dice you should be able to avoid any question about using those.

The only reason they are really good is when you simply don't have the room to roll, but still want a true roll.  I have one coming as part of my zombicide season 3 kickstarter and I plan to use it, because in that game the entire board ends up getting full of miniatures... and I appreciate the safety of knowing I'm not knocking down my survivors. 

What is a dice tower?

It looks like this.  You drop the dice in the top.  It makes it less likely that the dice will fall off the table and prevents the occasional off roll (like when you roll the dice and they just land and don't roll).  I dislike them, its like eating pizza with a fork and knife.

il_340x270.327384128.jpg

What blasphemy is this? Where's the fun of rolling them in your hand? Burn them! Burn them all! :)

When I roll dice they do tend to go everywhere even when I don't intend to roll that hard, played zombie last week and we were in stitches as almost every time it bounced off the table no matter how gently I rolled.

I use dice app for x-wing but I'd consider a dice tower.

What is a dice tower?

il_340x270.327384128.jpg

I've been thinking about a dice tower, but when I considered the amount of dice modifying involved, I discounted the idea as it looked like it would be a pain to modify when you've got to pluck them out of the little tray at the bottom. 

BUT... this little tower is just the business. Simple design, and it spills onto the table so you can still modify as needed. Brilliant. I might just build one now.  :)

What is a dice tower?

il_340x270.327384128.jpg

I've been thinking about a dice tower, but when I considered the amount of dice modifying involved, I discounted the idea as it looked like it would be a pain to modify when you've got to pluck them out of the little tray at the bottom. 

BUT... this little tower is just the business. Simple design, and it spills onto the table so you can still modify as needed. Brilliant. I might just build one now.  :)

there are many different variations as i have seen online that dont require modification and they roll all types of dice.

What is a dice tower?

il_340x270.327384128.jpg

I can legitimately say that I have never seen one of these in my life.

Also, that's just about the perfect analogy.

I like dice towers, and they are awesome when dealing with people with questionable dice rolling habits... I think they should be manditory for tourneys...

well oneway i would have to agree with you that at tournaments it would make things that much more fair. and i honestly dont trust the dice app there are too many people that can hack it and alter the odds so i dont think it should be used.

The hall we play in has hard tile floors. When dice hit the ground they often explode in different directions. This can be really bad if you're rolling +40 dice for your shoota boys and you miss the table like I did once.  >.<  I missed with my green dice last week and only had to ask some guys 40 feet away if they could give me a hand with that. I've thought of dice towers and think that it's really unnecessary if I'm only rolling 3-4 dice. The forty dice from the ork boys would plug that thing right up. 

I'm thinking that if I ever had to roll 6 dice regularly then I might need to employ one of these things. I suppose FFG better start working on that....heh.

Edited by Radzap

I like dice towers, and they are awesome when dealing with people with questionable dice rolling habits... I think they should be manditory for tourneys...

Not just that, but you absolutely cannot use your own die. That would make things unquestionably fair.

I for one like Dice Towers. Practical tool for truly randomized rolls and it saves space.

Edited by Captain Lackwit