Sign in to follow this  
rowdyoctopus

How did your Rescue at Gale Peak game go? [Rebellion Day] SPOILERS

I'm brand new to pen and paper RPGs. I decided to start up with an Edge of the Empire group last Saturday. They meet every other Saturday. Since I was eager to get more play time in with the Star Wars system, I signed up for the Rebellion Day event. It was a lot of fun!

We had a party of 7. We used the 4 pre-made characters (Human I forgot the class of, Bothan spy, Durosian sharpshooter, and an Ithorian computer tech), plus a human sharpshooter, a droid diplomat, and a pre-made Mon Cal technician from the beginner game. I was the Ithorian. My character had access to a contact that was in charge of maintenance personnel at the detention center, and I had already procured ID tags during my previous employment.

According to my GM, due to time constraints we skipped the first part of the adventure and went straight to infiltrating the detention center.

So we came up with a 2 part plan. At first we were going to go Ocean's 11 style. Sneak the technicians in as maintenance personnel while the rest of the party ambushed some snow troopers and took their uniforms. Then the technicians create a ruse to have the snow troopers come back to the detention center and take the prisoners out on new orders. Then we realized only the Humans would fit in the snow trooper uniforms.

So we went with A New Hope. Technicians still sneak in as maintenance personnel, we still ambush some snow troopers, but then the humans don the uniforms and take the Bothan in as a captive. The Duros had convinced a high ranking Imperial official he was an Imperial Agent, so he would accompany them. And the droid tagged along as a translator.

Also, to lessen the security detail in the detention center, after ambushing the snow troopers, we would call it in and say we only caught one of them, using the Duros to convince them that we were actually imperials.

I wont go through the entire adventure as it would be way too much to type out. Here are some highlights though:

After successfully ambushing snow troopers and calling it in, myself and the Mon Cal break off to connect with my contact and get uniforms and official transport into the detention center. We make it to his place alright and I request the help. Unfortunately, I spent my duty points on the med kit and comm jammer, plus intense focus. I roll a difficult roll and fail to successfully request the things we need. My high threat roll also has 3 snow troopers enter the building asking why we are not in our homes with the town on lockdown. Great. So I attempt a deception roll on the snow troopers, explaining myself and the Mon Cal are maintenance workers here to pick up our uniforms and transport to the detention center. You know, the thing my contact just refused to do. I realized at this point I hadn't been using intense focus. So I upgraded a die and made my roll. Success, triumph, and advantage! Not only did I convince the snow troopers, their presence intimidated my contact into helping us!

Once we were all in the facility, the computer technicians were having trouble accessing the computer systems and needed to get to the administrative offices without suspicion where access was easier and more useful. We needed a reason fot maintenance to be in the room. After the Duros failed to break something with an athletics check, the droid walked into the bathrooms and clogged a toilet (his triumph caused water to flood out into the hall).

During combat in the administrative office, the warden used her tirade attack and did enough strain to the Duros to knock him out. She essentially yelled him into unconsciousness.

Down in the cell blocks, the snow troopers and Bothan were trying to get the rebel pilot (our GM had told us one was in the morgue, not sure if that was part of the adventure or improved for time, so we only had to rescue one). One of our snow troopers was knocked out due to strain. When we evacuated the group at the end, we forgot about him, leaving him on the floor of the high security cell block. We like to think he lived out his life as a dutiful snow trooper.

At one point, we managed to open all the cell doors in the prison, causing a ton of rebel captives to break free. Our still conscious snow trooper was standing right there and got tackled. The Bothan tried to convince the captives that he was a rebel operative, and succeeded, but his remaining threat caused 4 strain to the human, which exceeded his threshold and knocked him out anyway.

We cut the power to the prison as we escaped and failed every single roll to try and get as many prisoners out as possible. We assume Vader took care of all of them, as he arrived literally just as we took off in the speeder we arranged for pick up.

Overall, I had a ton of fun. I hope those of you out there had fun as well. What sorts of crazy stuff happened in your game? How did you guys approach it? I'd especially like to hear about how the first part was supposed to go as we skipped over pretty much everything with the crash site.

Edited by rowdyoctopus

Our game went very well. I was the leader, and with one of my frag grenades, I triumphed on my throw, and blew up the whole y-wing with one shot. We managed to infiltrate the facility easily enough, mainly due to some awesome slicer rolls, and when it came time to get out, our Duros led the way and blew a hole in a guard, then blew up the doors all the way to the exit. Our Bothan took out an officer and came up with the plan to get the pilot out. Essentially, everyone had a hand in and participated. One of the players had RPed once before and claimed he didn't enjoy it but he said he'd give it a shot, and he was laughing and having a great time by the end of the module.

I just got back from Dragon's Lair here in Austin, TX, where I ran Rebellion Day today. The shop had a prior event yesterday.

It was a lot of fun! We had three players taking the roles of the Ithorian Engineer, the Duros Sharpshooter and the Human Commander.

My favorite moment:

The group ambushed a high-ranking ISB agent and stole her speeder, uniform and ID. The human disguised himself as an ISB Lieutenant and flew her speeder to the landing pad of the Imperial prison.

Meanwhile the Engineer and the Sharpshooter had entered the prison disguised as maintenance crew. One of their objectives was to reprogram the sentry guns outside the facility to fire on Imperial ships. Then they would head out onto the landing pad and use the ISB agent's speeder to fly around and help the Rebel agent escape.

The Engineer rolled a Computers check with a Triumph, so she was able to reprogram the sentry guns...

...at which point they turned immediately and fired upon the ISB agent's speeder, blowing it to smithereens.

I got the kit on Thursday, the game was not promoted by the game store (The poster on a window up in the corner that would not have been easily seen) and a facebook post about the game (no time, no FB event)

Showed up for the event and only one of my regular players was there.  We played "Epic duels" while we waited.  some X-wing mintures players showed up and one wanted to play "to learn the rules"  Ended up arguing EVERYTHING

Try to explain destiny tokens, and he tried to argue that EVERYTHING was force sensitive and nothing really reflected that in the rules

Then he didn't want to get the Bothans Monomolecular edge upgrade unless it could cut through walls.

I gave up.. it was bad enough i was going to try to run a 2 player version, with each controlling two players, but I didn't want to get stuck arguing EVERY SINGLE RULE.

Going to try again some other time, maybe with better promotion

Sorry to hear it, kinnison! We originally had only one signup at Dragon's Lair as well. She still seemed enthusiastic to learn, but a second player showed up and we convinced the first player's boyfriend to join us so we had 3.

There was a LOT of strategizing, so the game took almost the entire allotted time from 12 to 6pm, ending at about 5pm. But we had a lot of fun.

Hopefully you will find another time to be able to run it for some folks who are more open-minded about it!

^ I seriously debated going to the Austin event at DL.  Kinda sorry I missed it.  I couldn't argue the gas though.  I'm in San Antonio and that was the closest store that had it going on.. I was looking forward to this day, in hopes that I would actually get to "play" the game for once.  Been running it every sunday for 2 years (2 separate groups on bi-weekly basis), and as far as I know, I'm the only person that runs demos in the stores in this area. I have more hours into this game then almost any rpg I've ever played, yet never once have I actually been a player.

Glad it worked out for you though. Sounds great.  I'm hopeful they are going to release the PDF for the adventure so I can at least get a hold of that.

Edited by Shamrock

Our session went rather well. We had two GMs and three players, so the other GM opted to play and fill one table.

Everybody did a great job at avoiding straight-up blasting (although the fee times the Sharpshooter opened up on the bad guys he was murderously effective) and only engaged the enemies a few at a time. This was especially helpful as they played smart and avoided most of the bad guys in Episode 3.

All four players had played before, so we were able to finish it all in just under 4 hours of play.

I ended up going to the Rebellion Day events at the FFG Event Center here in MN, and had a blast.  First we had a very informative Q&A with the developers, then they ended up GMing the adventure for the groups who had showed up.  Highlights:

Our squad getting lots of use out of the comm jammer that the Engineer could take, using it to knock out communications while we drew stormtroopers to other areas, and in one case, rolling a triumph and causing all the troopers in the cantina to have to roll setback due to comm feedback.

Our spy being completely unable to lie to anyone causing crazy shenanigans.

My character (the engineer) barely succeeding in a roll to keep the astromech in the Y-Wing from activating it's emergency eject, inside the cantina.

Setting unconcious stormtroopers on fire with to provide a smoke screen for cover.

Facing off against Vader himself at the end of the Detention Center, and being completely outclassed, but still surviving due to some well placed explosives, prisoner cannon fodder, an Ithorian Bellow, and the Sniper tackling the commander off of a ledge.

It was a great time, and how many rebels can really say that survived Vader by yelling really loudly.

^ I seriously debated going to the Austin event at DL.  Kinda sorry I missed it.  I couldn't argue the gas though.  I'm in San Antonio and that was the closest store that had it going on.. I was looking forward to this day, in hopes that I would actually get to "play" the game for once.  Been running it every sunday for 2 years (2 separate groups on bi-weekly basis), and as far as I know, I'm the only person that runs demos in the stores in this area. I have more hours into this game then almost any rpg I've ever played, yet never once have I actually been a player.

Glad it worked out for you though. Sounds great.  I'm hopeful they are going to release the PDF for the adventure so I can at least get a hold of that.

We would've been happy to have you join us!

Without the Spy in the party, there were a lot of Deception, Coerce and Charm checks rolled with just two green dice :)

I'm pretty sure the San Antonio Dragon's Lair ran it on Saturday, though. In the middle of the week asked me to bring back the module so they could sent it to the SA shop, but then it turned out FFG was going to ship the SA shop a copy after all.

I ran it in Maryland. We had similar logistic issues with limited promotion, and bad weather really dampened any turnout. I did have one awesome guy show up, interested in learning the system. So we ran the whole adventure as a solo. He played the Duros soldier, and did lots of deception and skulduggery actions with 2 dice. He used some clever thinking, and used his triumphs strategically. Destiny Points flowed fast, and he actually pulled the whole thing off, thanks to some judicious explosive use - killing both primary and back-up power, and exploiting the follow-up chaos while dressed as a stormtrooper.

It was fast and fun - definitely a well-written scenario.

I ran rebellion day this last Saturday, We scheduled the event for two sessions. One at 11 am and the other at 4 pm. The first session we had two people show up it was a blast each player opted to play two characters and  did very well, The game ran about just under 3 hours. Unfortunately we had no one show up for the second session. 

In a way I think that the ball was dropped a little on FFGs part due to the list of stores only coming out 5 days prior to the event. That and hearing some stores never got their kits and some getting them the day before. I believe a little more could have been done to advertise on their part. The store that hosted for me felt responsible for the lack of attendance but in reality it wasn't their fault. Also in my area that weekend was a large ANIME convention. A lot of the Local Gamers attend this. I also think that the time of year for the event was wrong. School just started back up and a good chunk of gamers are in high school and college, not having the time this early on in the school year.

but thats just my opinion

SP

We would've been happy to have you join us!

Without the Spy in the party, there were a lot of Deception, Coerce and Charm checks rolled with just two green dice :)

I'm pretty sure the San Antonio Dragon's Lair ran it on Saturday, though. In the middle of the week asked me to bring back the module so they could sent it to the SA shop, but then it turned out FFG was going to ship the SA shop a copy after all.

They forgot to tell the SA shop then. Called a few weeks ago about getting a copy to run for them, nada. Called the day before to verify they didn't get it, still nada. Might have been round rock, but who knows?

I ran it more-or-less as-is, but had to wing a little bit - they were trying to infiltrate as the maintenance folks and had stashed their blaster pistols in their clothing. They failed to smooth-talk the last checkpoint, got caught with blasters, and were taken into custody and sent to be processed. They'd set a det charge on the main power line into the prison triggered by comlink signal; as they were handing over their non-weapon posessions (which hadn't been confiscated yet) to the front desk aides, they triggered the charge. The resulting power flicker lasted for ~1sec but was enough for them to get the drop on the two snowtroopers, disarm them of their carbines, and turn them back on the previous owners. Using the guards/ administrators credentials, they sliced their way through the doors, and got to the high security section just as Vader was landing.

Funny moments - as the Ithorian was bending to listen at the door into high security (his datapad had rolled several threats when being used as a scouter and was non-functional) he rolled three threat more. The door slid open to reveal two troopers who were going to report to the landing pad to receive their 'guest'. This time they successfully fast-talked that they were fixing the panels (as they were still in maintenance uniforms). Also, as they were approaching the guard desk in the high security area (I skipped the mirrored hall and annunciator due to time constraints) the officer in charge demanded to know their purpose. They claimed to have orders; one of the guards came to take it, and after the lieutenant handed him the (blank) datapad, he shot him at point blank range, turned to look at the officer in charge, and said "I've got some orders for you, too."

After springing the rebel from her cell, they saw Vader's shuttle on the launchpad - the one det charge they had snuck into the facility was used to breach the wall, run for the garage, and hightail it away while under fire.

Overall everyone seemed to have a blast (some more literally than others) and it was a great session.

I almost forgot!

Our party had a player made droid diplomat. He had all speech related skills. Literally nothing else. So he was basically C3-PO.

The pre-made Ithorian has a specific ability that says she can hide small items inside droids, among other things. My group spent a good time ribbing the droid that we were going to use his body to smuggle things into the detention center. He wasn't really comfortable discussing us putting things in his body.

Our session went rather well. We had two GMs and three players, so the other GM opted to play and fill one table.

Everybody did a great job at avoiding straight-up blasting (although the fee times the Sharpshooter opened up on the bad guys he was murderously effective) and only engaged the enemies a few at a time. This was especially helpful as they played smart and avoided most of the bad guys in Episode 3.

All four players had played before, so we were able to finish it all in just under 4 hours of play.

Good times! I played the Bothan, so got lots of slicing and dicing done :)

Try to explain destiny tokens, and he tried to argue that EVERYTHING was force sensitive and nothing really reflected that in the rules

Hiyas!

Sorry to hear about that! Could'nt you persuade him other-wise (I'm probably not getting the point but, looks to me it couldn't be too difficult to win that argument :huh: )?  Was he being a total bantha just to be an [expletive] or did he think he was in the right?

MTFBWY

A

Lete

It was a blast, our group was gm'ed by progressions and my favorite part was in the detention center:

The plan was for myself as the lieutenant to pretend to be an ISB agent here to do a surprise inspection on the base for preparation for Lord Vaders imminent arrival. So I channeled the spirit of R. Lee Ermey and did my best rendition of th opening of full metal jacket: I chewed out various storm troopers for imaginary scuff marks on their armor, then when I got to the high security area I "inspected" their work stations, in reality I took a quick glance at the cameras to locate the pilot. However my check to bluff past them succeeded with a despair so the gm had the ISB agent I was impersonating break out of captivity and call the base, at which point the officer and a storm trooper in the room with them shot me...

At that point the officer demanded I surrender and being outnumbered 4 to 1 and had 10 of 13 wounds I briefly considered it. However, I thought he'd either die now in a shoot out, or Darth Vader will interrogate me, and then I die. So, I had the equivalent of a triumph roll in my brain and I picked option C: pull out a grenade and set it to detonate if I released the trigger. The group backs off and I force the officer, two security guards and 4 storm troopers to all drop their weapons (the room we were in would've been that fuzzy bit in between engaged and short ranges)

After a few tense minutes between the rest of the parties "turn" I got the officer to release the pilot a d hand her my pistol to help keep them calm. Then, after more tense scenes still more storm troopers come in but the officer makes them stand down and drop their weapons. It's at that point my friends are close to rescuing me so I turn away briefly, set the grenade on a 5 second timer and throw it into the center of the group, grabbing the pilot and diving behind the computer console.

It kills everything but the officer and he dove out of the way as a result. We flip a destiny point to say he's setting on stun to take me and the pilot alive and we have one big final fight. Pilot shoots and hurts him, I leap over the desk and do a flying jump kick, barely flinches, I take strain from some threat. I then get a stun bolt at point blank range and fall to the ground, pilot misses while were still engaged, then on my turn I grab a pistol on the ground and fire at him without aiming: he finally falls over dead. But I generated threat on my roll and I'm exactly at strain threshold. I quickly make the case that instead of passing out I see a small red light on the gun blinking that indicates low ammo. He goes along with it, then I pull myself up slowly and our ride is here, I turn to the pilot and say "ladies first" one: he's tired as hell at this point, two it's more important that she get out alive than him.

Hiyas!

Sorry to hear about that! Could'nt you persuade him other-wise (I'm probably not getting the point but, looks to me it couldn't be too difficult to win that argument :huh: )?  Was he being a total bantha just to be an [expletive] or did he think he was in the right?

MTFBWY

A

Lete

I think it was a case of he knowing better hpw the game SHOULD run and arguing it to death until he was proven right. Even his brother later commented to me that he was te smartest idiot he knowms and refused to be in RPGs with him.

Going to try again in a month with more promotion

Hiyas!

MTFBWY

A

Lete

I think it was a case of he knowing better hpw the game SHOULD run and arguing it to death until he was proven right. Even his brother later commented to me that he was te smartest idiot he knowms and refused to be in RPGs with him.

Going to try again in a month with more promotion

Hiyas!

"hpw" = "how"?  ;)

So basically looks like he didn't want to be in the game from the get-go & was just using you as an intellectual "punching bag", wasting everyone's time.  What an [expletive]!  But, what about the other person interested, didn't s/he say something?  Wasn't s/he peeved (to say the least)  at the guy? 

Good luck!

I wish I had a kit myself... Where I am people are starving for new Star Wars anythings...  :blink:

L

MTFBWY

A

PD: Sorry to insist, but I'm fishing for ideas on how to handle this, if it ever comes up in a demo I'd run...  :rolleyes:

Edited by LETE

The other person was one of my regular players.  he is having blast in my regular sessions i do once a month, we were even talking afterwards how bad he was.

I think the "bad player" is known to be a bad player.  Even his brother doesn't play RPG with him anymore.  The guy didn't want to play the game, he just wanted to learn the system and be in a game.  Then nitpick it to death what he thinks is a better idea

If you are doing a game, this will not be normal.  This will rarely ever happen.

I have done demos for othere games before.  Back in the day I was one of the few people doing the premire demo of Wizkids "Mechwarrior" at Gencon.  The first people up were some Diehard Battletech players who even were cosplaying Battletech soldiers with patches and rank insignia thier expressions were similar to Lt Worf's "I AM NOT AMUSED".  After the demo, they were smiling, having fun and laughing.  The thing is, they wanted to play the game.

Edited by kinnison

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences. I didn't get to run or play the event myself but I'm dying for FFG to release a PDF!

Sounds like it's a really fun module overall. I love how Darth Vader is used too as a looming deadline.