Sign in to follow this  
Kaelthas

So what do you think would happen?

So what do you think would happen if the Emperor suddenly regenerated and awoke on the Golden Throne?  I don't think it would be something good for the Empire because I'm pretty sure he'd look around first in despair and then in anger over what has happened to the empire he built...

Half the empire would declare HERESY and attack, with the other half trying to defend him. 

horus heresy round two FIGHT!

That said, the attackers would probably include many of the highlords of terra and possibly chaos forces and a lot less space marines than the horus heresy legions did. But who knows, maybe they fall to chaos in the process. Basically anyone who is really invested in the dysfunctional empire will attack the emperor.

The defenders would probably include any thorians, a large number of space marine chapters, custodes, and any leadership who really want the emperor to come and clean house. Hell, some xenos (eldar, tau, someone else) may come to help if they see the emperor bringing about a better universe.

This is of course assuming the emperor hasn't been corrupted by the warp. if somehow warp corrupted emperor, flip sides and repeat civil war.

Either way, more fighting, more war, and probably a lot more intrigue.

Edited by BillMcDonagh

Emperor wakes up then he cleans house then he cleans universe.Abbandon pulls his forces off of cadia and hides in the eye of terror...forever.Lion El'Jonson wakes up,Fenris returns at about the same time Vulcan comes back at the emperor's side.Guilliman is healed by the emperors grace.The Nids and Necron forces get pushed back but not beaten per se.A new age of expansion opens up for the imperium....Of course IMHO.

Emperor wakes up then he cleans house then he cleans universe.Abbandon pulls his forces off of cadia and hides in the eye of terror...forever.Lion El'Jonson wakes up,Fenris returns at about the same time Vulcan comes back at the emperor's side.Guilliman is healed by the emperors grace.The Nids and Necron forces get pushed back but not beaten per se.A new age of expansion opens up for the imperium....Of course IMHO.

I agree with most of this. The Emperor was WAY to smart to do it like a bull in a china shop. Their would be a good deal of inside political intrigue probably ending with the disbanding of the Ecclesiarchy (The Emperor was profoundly an Atheist. Especially where it involved himself!). The new Imperium of man would then have to work through the 'Issues' of reuniting the Imperium of man. Much of this would probably be accomplished through the actions of the Inquisition and the Officio assassinorium (Who would already have been VERY busy! I doubt Space marines would be a problem. The Emperor could actually rebuild the legions assuming he retained his knowledge of them.

Back in his days Emperor alienated a lot of his children from himself by nothing but stupid actions, proposed an ideology which was a deadend for mankind, for daemons used mankind's total ignorance in more ways than one, and was facing a galaxy where most urgent threats mankind faces now (traitor legions, tyranid swarms the size of a constellation, necrons) were nonexistent with far more superior technology and manpower compared to what imperium has now.

He would do himself a favour never revealing the fact of his awakening to public and focusing on keeping the Astronomican running.

Back in his days Emperor alienated a lot of his children from himself by nothing but stupid actions, proposed an ideology which was a deadend for mankind, for daemons used mankind's total ignorance in more ways than one, and was facing a galaxy where most urgent threats mankind faces now (traitor legions, tyranid swarms the size of a constellation, necrons) were nonexistent with far more superior technology and manpower compared to what imperium has now.

He would do himself a favour never revealing the fact of his awakening to public and focusing on keeping the Astronomican running.

And i guess he would attempt to work through the custodes or inquisition to bring about any changes. although it may just be the custodes, slowly branching out as they find trustworthy agents, creating their own shadow inquisition within the inquisition/astartes/whatever.

There is no way the custodes could ignore the emperor suddenly reviving from a mostly dead corpse in a machine to a living breathing person though.

Alternatively...he could just go all out in the open and use the Imperial Cult to his advantage? Any hostile move made by any numbrr of people who would rather keep the Status Quo would have to rely of masses of common men to fight it out and I'm not sure how muc traction an anti-Emperor war would gain among the common men. After all, they have been indoctrinated their whole lives that the Emperor is 'the one true god'.

The Emperor was profoundly an Atheist. Especially where it involved himself!

Only in some of the Black Library novels. It's interesting how, in GW's own Index Astartes series, the Emperor actually didn't seem to care at all for religion. When it came to the Word Bearers, the White Dwarf article merely notes that he was upset that they wasted precious time and resources - that's all.

And I agree with LordBlades - I think the Emperor would be too smart to not use the Ministorum as a tool to keep the masses in line. It was religious indoctrination that largely kept the Imperium together for 10,000 years. Plus, why would he treat the Imperial Cult differently to the Cult Mechanicus, with whom he apparently didn't have much of a problem either?

Beyond that, though, I doubt much would change. The Emperor is just one man, and those who already had the guts to defy Imperial order in spite of the religious indoctrination would probably not think much different when he came back. With an Imperium this large, his influence would be handicapped in much the same way as the High Lords' are. At best, he'd be able to cut down on internal strife a little by saying "cut it" every now and then, rather than having the various adepta duke it out as they did ever since he, uh, ascended to the Golden Throne. Plus, it may lead to improved coordination between the Space Marines and the other Imperial organisations as the Chapter Masters might be more willing to listen to him than to the High Lords or an Inquisitor, even though they too have the authority to speak on the Emperor's behalf, at least on paper.

Edited by Lynata

I'm pretty sure that most of the high lords would rally behind Him. Dissenters would be put down by puritan inquisitor faster than you can yell "HERESY". I think the real problem would be convincing the rest of humanity to resume his pre-Heresy plans for the Imperium. Then again, He might try a different approach this time around, seeing as many of his favored servants were corrupted despite his efforts the last time. He might even embrace godhood.

Its worth taking into consideration that knowledge of the Warp has grown considerably, compared to what was known during the Great Crusade.

I think the Emperor would cognizant of the fact that the Ministorum is a hugely useful tool for focusing the beliefs of an entire species.  The tremenduous psychic power brought about untold billions of humans praying to their God-Emperor is just too good to waste...

The real question is if he could actively tap into this power, and what he would do with it if successful at taming it...

Edited by Bladehate

It's actually the subject of one of the bits of introductory fiction in the Inquisitor game... the idea that the Emperor could have been revived shortly after being placed on the Golden Throne, but they worried that a) people wouldn't believe it was him and b) he might come back "changed".

I'll agree with those would say the return of the Emperor would cause a schism in the Imperium between those who believed he was really the Emperor Awoken and those who didn't. As for the Emperor himself, he's an Alpha++ psyker who has been floating in the Warp for the past 10,000 years... rather serious question of his effective Sanity and Corruption scores would need to be considered.

I'll agree with those would say the return of the Emperor would cause a schism in the Imperium between those who believed he was really the Emperor Awoken and those who didn't. As for the Emperor himself, he's an Alpha++ psyker who has been floating in the Warp for the past 10,000 years... rather serious question of his effective Sanity and Corruption scores would need to be considered.

This is actually a fairly Profound point! How would the Emperor's perspective changed after existing in the warp for 10,000 years. If we follow the fluff (Think Kaldor Draigo [while you're cursing Matt Ward!]), He may not actually be insane or corrupted! That being said, His perspective will have certainly evolved! Would he act like "Ten thousand years on the golden thrown will give you such a crick in the neck!" Or, would He be more "I am The EMPEROR your LORD and ETERNAL MASTER!!!" I'm not sure, but I suspect more of the latter!

It would be funny if it turns out everything since the unification of terra has been acording to the emperors insane long term plan.

As in he had planned for his sons to betray him, put him on life support for ten millenia and let a whole religion form around him why the galaxy crumbled.

If you are thinking" nah, he wouldnt do that" bear in mind the emperor was around doring the dark age of technology, meaning he could have revealed himself then and spared mankind teh horrors of the age of strife.

Gentlemen, we must consider the posibility that mankind's saviour is and possibly always has been insane...

He'd fix his empire and relaunch a Crusade against any dissenters within the imperium. Simple.

Translation: sic the space wolves on the ecclesiarchy...

False translation. The Emperor would likely say he explicitly said he didn't want a religion after him, but he'll deal with that after they finally finish their crusade.

As to your second comment, the Emperor was never much of a longterm guy, he wasn't even that intelligent if I remember correctly in terms of science and technology.

The Emperor: "ok, plan B, Primarch project 1.5, this time i'm making them all female."

Custodes: "is that wise lord?"

Emperor: "Of course it is, now shut up and fetch me my recaf and dataslates of the current events."

Emperor: " sheesh you guys realy let the place go to the dogs while i was out huh?"

Custodes" Euh"

Emperor: "Never mind, what the hell is a hive fleet?"

Custodes: "they are a aliens who-"

Emperor: " why can't my legions wipe out these bugs?"

Custodes: "well you see, lord, the space marine chapter-"

Emperor: "what? chapters? who messed up my lovely legions?"

Custodes "Robou-"

Emperor: GUILLIMAAAAN!!!

I wonder how the other 40k races would react, tough.

The Orks: Wot? wo dat? da emprah iz da ummies bigboss? roight lads, i smell a Waaaagh!!! Ere we go...

The Eldar: Oh not him again! wait why didn't we see this comming?

The harlequins: I swear, if he tries to build another off-ramp on our webway i'm gonna kick his mon-keigh ass!

The Tau: Yeah sure, gu'ela, pull the other one! Your god is alive now huh? keep your propaganda believable, amateurs!

Necrons: We followed the C'tan aeons before your fledling emperor was born, this means nothing to us...

Tyranids: omnomnomnomnomnom

Chaos:

Abadon: Awww maaaan! and i haven't even conquered Cadia yet! Throw me a frikkin bone here people!

Kharn the betrayer: burn maim kill burnmaimkill burnmaimkill burnmaimkillburnmaimkillburnmaimkill....

Lorgar: Hi dad! welcome to the 41st millenium, "mighty emperor"! bwahahaaa!

Alpharius: Wait which side am i on again?

primarchs:

Guilliman: t h i s  h u r t s  s o b a d o h l o r d i t h ur t s s o b a d     s   o       b    a    d       h     u      r     t    

The Lion: hooo boy, i wonder if pater knows what I was doing during the heresy?

Lema Russ: Woohooo! wolf time baby! let's do this: Leeeeeeeeemaaaaan Russss!!!

Edited by Robin Graves

He'd fix his empire and relaunch a Crusade against any dissenters within the imperium. Simple.

Translation: sic the space wolves on the ecclesiarchy...

False translation. The Emperor would likely say he explicitly said he didn't want a religion after him, but he'll deal with that after they finally finish their crusade.

As to your second comment, the Emperor was never much of a longterm guy, he wasn't even that intelligent if I remember correctly in terms of science and technology.

Not that Intelligent? He seems to have had the knowledge of Biology and Genetics such that he was able Clone himself, Modify said Clones in 20 different permutations, Expand the Human Genome, Improve said Genome by using Genetic material from said 20 modified clones and equip them with weapons and armor such that no-one else in the Galaxy was even close to! He understands "Hard" technology (Your classic metal-ware) such that the Adeptus Mechanicus views him as the personification of the all-knowing Omnissiah! Explain to me where he lacked technical acumen.

Strategy: He was able to unite the disparate warlords of mankind into a single unified purpose (Through both diplomacy AND of course conquest!). He was then able to plot a grand strategic crusade that would essentially reconquer the galaxy! When Horus took over it was essentially a Galactic Mop up mission.

Finally, Raw Research: The Emperor was able to discern the nature of and even replicate the construction process of the Webway! Something not even the mighty Eldar could not do! (it is theorised I believe that the Webway was originally a construct of the Old ones who fought against the Necrontyr before humanity was evolved beyond a hyper curious squirrel!)

I'm not sure I'm going to buy into the "not that bright" theory! Just sayin... :P

Also, the Mechanicus considered him the avatar of the Omnissiah. So that says something about his intelligence.

I think, if the Emperor were to come back, whole and himself, then there's the problem of the Astronomican. Is he going to rule, immobile on that Golden Throne?

After that minor question upon which all Imperial warp travel is based on is resolved, I think he'd quickly return to Mars and sort that whole place out. Root out the Void Dragon, restore some knowledge, and so on. The Second Great Crusade will begin soon after.

Or the Great Webway Project is restarted in secret and nearly all the worlds of humanity are united without the need for warp engines.

Not that Intelligent? He seems to have had the knowledge of Biology and Genetics such that he was able Clone himself, Modify said Clones in 20 different permutations, Expand the Human Genome, Improve said Genome by using Genetic material from said 20 modified clones and equip them with weapons and armor such that no-one else in the Galaxy was even close to! He understands "Hard" technology (Your classic metal-ware) such that the Adeptus Mechanicus views him as the personification of the all-knowing Omnissiah! Explain to me where he lacked technical acumen.

Although there is that one White Dwarf short story where the Emperor descends into one of those subterranean labs and has one of his scientists explain to him just what the hell those "zygotes" are as he obviously doesn't have a clue ...  ;)

It's probably important to keep in mind that, as far as GW is concerned, the sources that describe him as omniscient and the best brain ever are the same ones that want to tell us that, yeah, he really is a god and people should pray to him. Millennia of historical revisionism and propaganda can do that to "facts".

Ultimately, all answers are equally valid - but I admit I find a perverse joy in the theory that the origins of the Imperium - from the supposedly all-knowledgeable Emperor to the supposedly all-powerful Primarchs - are actually incredibly mundane, and it's just these 10,000 years of stagnation and indoctrination that have embellished the truth with wildly exaggerated legends and myths being proclaimed as truths. You know, kind of like it works in the real world. Because personally, I find that this would actually add to the Grim Darkness of the setting, as it ultimately means the Imperium is built largely on lies. And yet, at this point it's still the only chance for humanity's survival.

"Here's our standard line: Yes it's all official, but remember that we're reporting back from a time where stories aren't always true, or at least 100% accurate. If it has the 40K logo on it, it exists in the 40K universe. Or it was a legend that may well have happened. Or a rumour that may or may not have any truth behind it. Let's put it another way: anything with a 40K logo on it is as official as any Codex... and at least as crammed full of rumours, distorted legends and half-truths."
-- Marc Gascogne, Chief Editor Black Library
Edited by Lynata

Exactly, he doesn't have to be the smartest man in existence to be an effective leader. I actually like that representation more. He has ideas of what he wants, he's good at getting people to accomplish these ideas, and he knows only what he really feels like learning about the subject material.

Knowledge is power, power corrupts.

The Mechanicus revere something as their omnisiah, they happen to be told its the emperor, but no one raises that much of a fuss for obvious reasons. Personally I think they worship the void dragon unknowingly.

Imperial citizen: "hey you mechanicus guy! you worship the god of machines! the Emperor said "no worshiping stuff!"

Enginseer: "look, you want this cogitator to work or not?"

Imperial citizen: "...errr... Carry on!"

Enginseer "1n n0m1n3 0mn151ah ctrl+alt+delete 4m3n!"

Edited by Robin Graves