Sign in to follow this  
ghaerdon2

$200 to Start?

I have posted this in another thread but I think this is the better way of posting my question:

I am an X Wing player, spending tons of money on minis and wave 5 and 6. I have around $200 CND to spend. Base set at my FLGS is $50, and Force Packs are $20. To be at least somewhat competitive what do I spend my money on? I have a soft spot for Hoth related stuff :-) and yes I have read the all caps thread on what to buy ... But that lists everything. I have a limit to start.

2 Core Sets and 2 Edge of Darkness is the best starting point in my opinion. That provides you with enough cards for each Affiliation to build Mono decks and a lot of the Core & Edge of Darkness cards are still used in competitive play.

From there, pick up expansions as you see fit.

With 1x Core and the first five Hoth packs, I'd try this:

Smugglers and Spies

2x Attack Pattern Delta
2x Hoth Operations
2x Preparation for Battle
2x Prepare for Evacuation
1x Sensors are Placed
1x The Defense of Yavin 4

Dark side's a little trickier, since in that era of cards, Sith Control was dominate, but it really relies on having two Core Sets for consistency. There was a Hoth-based sith control deck I believe had a showing at worlds. It's hurt without Executor, but worth a try.

Imperial Navy
1x Fall of the Jedi
2x The General's Imperative
1x Sabotage in the Snow
1x Shadows on the Ice
1x The Emperor's Web
2x The Killing Cold
2x vader's Fist

Rebel weenie vehicle is the rebel sets with Y-Wings, X-Wings. Any low cost 1,2, or 3 vehicles.

Honestly, just mix and match and you can find what works. Kind of pointless to try to build something to match the meta.

I don't agree that sith control was any stronger than Imperial vehicle deck. So many good combos with imperial vehicle objectives.

With 1x Core and the first five Hoth packs, I'd try this:

Smugglers and Spies

2x Attack Pattern Delta

2x Hoth Operations

2x Preparation for Battle

2x Prepare for Evacuation

1x Sensors are Placed

1x The Defense of Yavin 4

Dark side's a little trickier, since in that era of cards, Sith Control was dominate, but it really relies on having two Core Sets for consistency. There was a Hoth-based sith control deck I believe had a showing at worlds. It's hurt without Executor, but worth a try.

Imperial Navy

1x Fall of the Jedi

2x The General's Imperative

1x Sabotage in the Snow

1x Shadows on the Ice

1x The Emperor's Web

2x The Killing Cold

2x vader's Fist

Thank you so much. I was getting cross eyed looking at all those cards. I have ordered another Core, none left in my area.

I replied in other thread.

1 core, 1 edge of darkness, all 6 packs of hoth cycle.

I would recommend the newest cycle over the hoth cycle. The cards are just a lot more potent.

This, but I'd buy a second core along with it.

And if money is such an issue, buy everything online. You'd be down about 140€ that way which is definitely acceptable imo.

He mentioned that he liked Hoth theme. The new cycle might have more potent cards, but it's not Hoth themed.

Yup but he also wants to be somewhat competitive. To do that he'll have to take the newest cycle over hoth because of how powerful the new cycle cards are.

I haven't had the chance to see it yet but,

Powercreep powerful or balanced with the rest of the game powerful?

It varies between objective sets, I would say. New Yoda is numerically better than old, and I can't think of any reason one would use the old one over the new (using both in the same deck doesn't count), but you might just chalk it up to weaker designs in the Core Set, rather than a gradual increase in power level. Same goes for old Boba Fett versus the upcoming version. Some of the Core objective sets remain popular, though (Vader, Palpatine, etc.). Edited by MarthWMaster

honestly is you watch ebay, you prolly can nab a big collection for just under $200 right now.

Yup. I'm selling my spare set right now it's almost complete missing 1 EoD BotF and 2 Forcepacks. It's only got 12 hours left but you can try for it if you make it in time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251691014512?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I have posted this in another thread but I think this is the better way of posting my question:

I am an X Wing player, spending tons of money on minis and wave 5 and 6. I have around $200 CND to spend. Base set at my FLGS is $50, and Force Packs are $20. To be at least somewhat competitive what do I spend my money on? I have a soft spot for Hoth related stuff :-) and yes I have read the all caps thread on what to buy ... But that lists everything. I have a limit to start.

You are based in Canada? You should check this online store:

http://www.boardgamebliss.com/

Base set is 31.95$, pack are 11.95$.

Are you buying the French version ? If not those prices seem to be crazy expensive ...

I'm all for supporting local stores , but if they sell over suggested prices or play the "rarity" game & spike prices up , you might as well shop online. In fact , I used to spend 1500-2000$/year in one , and found online stores with way better pricing after my local store jacked the price up for X-Wing minis to 19.99$ after the game had come out ... (see below )

Check supernovagames.ca or greatboardgames.ca (both offer most games @ pretty much the best pricing online)

Are you buying the French version ? If not those prices seem to be crazy expensive ...

I'm all for supporting local stores , but if they sell over suggested prices or play the "rarity" game & spike prices up , you might as well shop online. In fact , I used to spend 1500-2000$/year in one , and found online stores with way better pricing after my local store jacked the price up for X-Wing minis to 19.99$ after the game had come out ... (see below )

Check supernovagames.ca or greatboardgames.ca (both offer most games @ pretty much the best pricing online)

Thanks for sharing the info about those Canadian online retailers -- I'm Canadian and was not even aware of their existence! I think I would prefer to support online stores that specialize in games rather than Amazon (when not supporting my FLGS when practical/reasonable, of course). 

Edited by TwiceBornh