Sign in to follow this  
Volstruis

Petition against NetrunnerDB Cease & Desist

When non-competetive complementary supplements crop up FFG has been fairly good about letting them grow in their shadow, benefiting both parties along with the community at large. If FFG plans to enter into another market domain such as web content, the only reasonable response with respect to the fan community is to compensate the designers and implenters of these fan built supplements. Punishment for servicing fans of your product is rarely received well in the eyes of the public.

P.S. I vaguely forsee a "run" being made frequently on the servers you build for whatever new product you plan on building, because that's the community you just pissed off the most.

Edited by Gh0ysT

Can't some middle ground be agreed between the two sides? For instance, I really don't care if the card images have watermarks on them, all that matters is the deck builder. I really don't want to use that crappy cardgamedb; it sucks @ss... :P

Come on FFG, be the bigger man and listen to your community!

selling all of my FFG products over this and using the money for catalyst games....ill play shadowrun.

much more fun then any POS game FFG has made (i mean re issued, because they dont make games, they re make other peoples games, cause they dont have a original thought it their heads.) thus far.

Edited by RedFive

One of the Jinteki.net guys over at BGG posted part of FFG's reply to their attempt to compromise:

"We are already aware of the community desire for an online forum to play and have taken that into consideration. Because we already offer deckbuilding and card browsing services, we do not allow others to do the same.

So, if this is true, this whole mess is about killing off the competition. I have to say, I am truly disgusted by this move, but I am waiting for FFG to clarify. I just don't want to believe FFG would make a move like this...  :(

Signed... in triplicate.

I purchase 3 data packs per release. That's so I can have a collection set and enough cards to build multiple decks with my friends and family. I use NetrunnerDB as my sole online card management option. CardGameDB is crap, not mobile, and clunky as Johnny Five.

FFG needs to pull their heads out, grow a TRUE pair (don't mistake corporate bullying as confidence or leadership), and work with the people that actually pay your salaries.

Or I'm out... I can think of a hundred other places to put my time, money and effort than a company that backhands it's fan base with vague and threatening C&D's.

I don't keep friends in my social circles who act like you are FFG... I won't support this kind of nonsense with my hard-earned money.

Wake up...

Peace, Love and Gaming... not bullying

Edited by randomblink

What agenda are you trying to advance here?   Gain 7 bad pub and spend 5 credits on legal action for 0 Agenda points?

What crack head legal team thought this would be a good idea?    This fan site that you do not pay for, host or anything else provides free advertising and enables people to easily see what they want to buy next.

Maybe you shouldn't stab something that isn't harming and only helping?

What agenda are you trying to advance here?   Gain 7 bad pub and spend 5 credits on legal action for 0 Agenda points?

What crack head legal team thought this would be a good idea?    This fan site that you do not pay for, host or anything else provides free advertising and enables people to easily see what they want to buy next.

Maybe you shouldn't stab something that isn't harming and only helping?

Yeah, I have to admit this surprised me. Fantasy Flight has the best customer service I've ever seen. They really like their customers to be happy. So, while their online efforts have been less than inspiring, I would never have thought they'd step in it this badly. While this is, of course, commonplace for companies like Games Workshop, I've never heard of FFG siccing lawyers on people before.

FFG, I own so many of your board games, card games and miniatures and now regret that I do. I thought you had a different approach to gaming and now you are like the crappy company that you partnered with in Games Workshop. There is an old saying, if you hang around with dogs then you are going to get fleas. At this point I am going to Cease and Desist buying anymore of your games until you clarify your position and listen to your fans.

Signed.

Edited by ChessFerret

FFG much like GW are of course both money driven. They're companies. Doesn't make them soul less.

The avatar says it all really...

Signed.

I have no interest in this game beyond the precedent FFG are setting and how it may affect the X-Wing community and the excellent squad builders available.

I am angry about this C&D debacle, and I signed this petition and commented that it was a stupid thing to shut down NRDB.

That said, I don't think people should go crazy and boycott FFG about this.  The reason is twofold:

1) If you like the game, play the game.  If they do things that are really money gouging, you can change your attitude based on that, but this seems more like the left hand (the legal department or whatever) not knowing what the right hand (organized play, marketing, whoever) is doing.  There are alternatives, and as much as I prefer NRDB, as long as they're not trying to monopolize community and deckbuilding sites, it's a pretty rash action to go starting a boycott.  Some have said that that is just the path they're taking, but they haven't taken it yet and it's only been a couple of days, so lets see what happens.  If you enjoy playing netrunner, there's no reason to put your cards on ebay or vow to never again support the game.  Relax.  Don't sacrifice your enjoyment for this.  Nobody needs a martyr over this.

2) A boycott is a pretty strong tactic to use.  The player community is really strong for netrunner.  If FFG were to do something really nasty or money grubbing, a boycott could be a useful tactic.  If everyone who's willing to boycott the company goes saying they'll boycott them over every situation that looks like it could be bad (It's unresolved!), the community loses some of its power.  It loses it a) if people leave, and b) if FFG feels like the angry element is going to act before negotiation and thus are not going to seek compromise.  If you're really fired up about this that's not a bad thing.  Just relax and try to save the last card you can play for when you really want to play it.

I am angry about the C&D, but lets be adults here.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't be angry, but it means we should not act rashly.  There is no benefit for anyone in taking the most radical stance first.  There is benefit in signing petitions and appearing mature and reasonable in discourse.

I am angry about this C&D debacle, and I signed this petition and commented that it was a stupid thing to shut down NRDB.

That said, I don't think people should go crazy and boycott FFG about this.  The reason is twofold:

1) If you like the game, play the game.  If they do things that are really money gouging, you can change your attitude based on that, but this seems more like the left hand (the legal department or whatever) not knowing what the right hand (organized play, marketing, whoever) is doing.  There are alternatives, and as much as I prefer NRDB, as long as they're not trying to monopolize community and deckbuilding sites, it's a pretty rash action to go starting a boycott.  Some have said that that is just the path they're taking, but they haven't taken it yet and it's only been a couple of days, so lets see what happens.  If you enjoy playing netrunner, there's no reason to put your cards on ebay or vow to never again support the game.  Relax.  Don't sacrifice your enjoyment for this.  Nobody needs a martyr over this.

2) A boycott is a pretty strong tactic to use.  The player community is really strong for netrunner.  If FFG were to do something really nasty or money grubbing, a boycott could be a useful tactic.  If everyone who's willing to boycott the company goes saying they'll boycott them over every situation that looks like it could be bad (It's unresolved!), the community loses some of its power.  It loses it a) if people leave, and b) if FFG feels like the angry element is going to act before negotiation and thus are not going to seek compromise.  If you're really fired up about this that's not a bad thing.  Just relax and try to save the last card you can play for when you really want to play it.

I am angry about the C&D, but lets be adults here.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't be angry, but it means we should not act rashly.  There is no benefit for anyone in taking the most radical stance first.  There is benefit in signing petitions and appearing mature and reasonable in discourse.

This!

There is a lot of nerdrage over this non-issue haha... FFG has the right to their own copyrights. Copyrights exist to protect inventions and inventors (Netrunner and FFG respectively). That just about settles it. *braces for nerdrage* :)

I have purchased all of data packs and deluxe expansions to date. Netrunnerdb significantly enhances my playing experience and I use it whenever I build a new deck. Please do not turn against your most committed fans.

I signed up for the forums to sign this.  Seriously, NetrunnerDB is a far cleaner interface on PC, and CardGameDB does not work on my tablet or phone.  If you're trying to resolve a community split issue, forcing a popular site to shut down is not the answer.  You're just going to piss off the people who love that site.  Buy out the site for its popularity instead.

I agree with your statement that this does not deserve a boycott. I will say that I can't think of anything FFG is likely to do that, in my opinion, would, but I suppose it is always a possibility.

I would like to say though, in response to your statement on the last page, "I don't think anyone has FFG's back on this one." I do.

Edited by Eridine

I don't think FFG will do anything to deserve a boycott either.  I was primarily addressing people who are saying they will boycott over this so it makes sense to frame a response in the appropriate vein for that audience.

With regard to that statement on the previous page, first, like I said, I am angry about this and the post I make first hearing the news is going to be much more full of ginger than one made after considering the situation.  Second, I believe I understand your sentiment.  If I do, I would point out the difference between considering their actions to be within their rights and with good reason, and considering that they have handled the situation properly.  Now I know this thread is strictly about their actions being reasonable, but I think the sentiments of those posting in it tend towards saying their actions aren't right.  I agree that they have legitimate reason to issue a C&D, but I think that the problem ought to have been resolved in a more calculated manner.

I didn't intend to put words in anyone's mouth, particularly given how vague I was about it.  I hope I've cleared up what I intended and if you actually think what they did was a good thing, I stand corrected.